The Bali Ha'i Project
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Bali Ha'i Project

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Sponsor

The Bali Ha'i Project

Soooo.... for a while now I've been in discussions to produce a small run of divers' watches, and the project is slowly taking shape...

As I near the critical juncture, I'd very much like to have some feedback from all you expert WUS folk... first, is it too late? I see lots of people creating these boutique runs. My focus is a bit different, want to have a vintage/tool feel with a bit of a sense of humor (but subtle, maybe a funky case-back pic or similar, very vintage/classic dial & outward appearance), but I worry that maybe the marketplace is getting crowded.

Here's the now-revised [early/original] specs/features list:

-Swiss watch, ETA 2824-2 automatic mechanical movement

-chunky/substantial boat anchor-sized case, 44 mm [orig. sought more classic size 42 mm, suitable for under-shirt cuff wear when unavoidable; still possible future plans on that one, but movements avail now with larger case, so I jumped]

-[22 or] 24 mm strap (and probably strap with avail bracelet)

-classic, simple dial - circles and bars, but not a mere sub clone

-strong lume a must - I'm a lume fan

-solid high-quality 316L stainless, preferably beadblasted or brushed/matte finish

-oversized crown, signed, at 3 o'clock [orig thought 4 o'clock crown]

-HRV [orig unsure about HRV, considered eschew for more vintage feel]

-solid depth rating, tested - 1000m [or 500m]

-new custom bezel / diver numbering [?possible countdown style (numbers reversed)]

-sapphire crystal, flat (?or slight dome), 4mm+ thick

-hands (saving this one... I have some very specific ideas, tribute to classic Omega divers)

-nice package for delivery with real Pelican case

-Italian NBR (BC) strap - (what do folks prefer - black, orange, Panerai-style, or dive/corrugated?)

-funky cool tiki back

-some of edition available in black PVD? (interest?)

General thoughts? My working name for the model is the Bali Ha'i, which captures the relaxed Polynesian feel I'm after...I might be more of an "enjoy-a-cheeseburger-on-the-dock" kinda guy, but I want to know my watch would perform at 500m., even if I might not... call it overengineering. It'd be important to me that this thing actually be used for its intended purpose, though, and I'm thinking of ways to encourage that, too. (Free accessories for sweet dive shots?)

What do you guys think? Probably numbered engraved edition of 100, would try to keep pricepoint aggressive / close to cost, land in $800-900 range (with bracelet; slightly less if without). [Oct. note - still on target here, looks good w/ bracelet included; some sort of advance order / WUS discount in the works]

Yep. [yea or nay?]

Chris "Darkman" Cihon
    Dallas, TX
    Last edited by Darkman; October 11th, 2008 at 01:40. Reason: rev specs Oct 2008 (leaving original in brackets)

Re: The Bali Ha'i Project

It sounds like you have some good ideas there. It would be cool to see a cushion case, or one with hooded lugs. Those are designs that don 't get made much anymore, even though they look awesome.
    I would vote for a standard bezel instead of the countdown style. Maybe you could have the option of both?
    Good luck, post pictures when you have them.

I like it. Especially at your estimated price point. For a case back design suggestion, in keeping with your off beat or funky design, how about a bare breasted Polynesian girl sitting on a rock looking out to sea? Or maybe on the beach under a palm looking out to sea?
    Current baker's dozen favorites:
    AirNautic Early Bird 24hr #20;
    Bathys Black Aquaculture;Casio MDV-102-1AVCF; Citizen Eco-Zilla SS; Corvus Bradley #44; Hamilton Field Mechanical 44mm; Helson Sharkdiver #100;
    Luminox 8202; OCEAN7 LM-1LE 41/150; LM-3V2B #26; LM-7 #7; Seiko SKX007K2; Squale 50 ATMOS: Victorinox Garrison; + about 20 more
    Incoming: NADA
    Hidden Content
    I've been trying for some time to develop a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.- Garry Trudeau Hidden Content
    Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts. - Lt. "Mac" McReynolds

Sponsor

Ah, you anticipate me! Yeah, I was thinking sort of a cartoony bikini / pin-up polynesian mermaid hula type babe on the back :)

Hi Chris,

Your concept sounds very intriguing, and I would definitely be interested. I especially like the idea that you want to go a slightly different path, than the one that's been chosen by recent offerings. Not that their path is a bad thing, but imho going toward a vintage/tool "feel" may bring something fresh to the table.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

I also found Guido's suggestion to be..uhm...very interesting!
    Take care,
    Geoff

Seiko Blue "Sumo" SBDC003
    Enzo Mechana Sub Hatch
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage
    Casio G-Shock GD-350-1B
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1
    Casio G-Shock GW-2500B-1A G-Aviator
    Ball Engineer Master II Classic
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Ti "Mad Cow"
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m LE "America's Cup"
    Bathys Benthic Ti Bronze w/Greg Stevens Harvest strap
    Seiko Black Monster w/Yobokies Anvil bracelet
    Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual SS(wedding gift)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
    but I worry that maybe the marketplace is getting crowded.
    The market is never too crowded for excellent products. Keep things high quality and there will be a market, especially in that $ range.
    Seiko Sumo SDBC001
    Luminox 8817
    Invicta 8926 (coin bezel)
    Casio Solar/Atomic G-Shock AWG101
    Zodiac Air Dragon

My Grail: Omega Seamaster 2254.50 Hidden Content

So many watches, so little time...

Hidden Content

Chris-

I wouldn't worry about over-crowding, your ideas sound great.
    YAY.

Ian

Hard to add more than what has been suggested until the idea gets fleshed(lpun intended)out more. But I would definitely want brushed as it is easier to finish on the fly(damn) than bead blasted. If cost goes up to go to 500m go for 300m. Hell 1000+ ft is more than most all of us will do except in telling tales at the local pub.

And would part PVD and part brushed SS be too expensive?

Anyway it sounds exciting especially at the price.

paul
    Doxa 600T Clive Cussler edition
    Breitling Superocean A17345
    Omega 2531.80
    RGM Sea3 Custom
    Ocean 7 LM3 #119

VINTAGE :

Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Zodiac Sea Wolf(1964)
    LeCoultre Master Mariner (1970)
    Hamilton Thinmatic (1968)

Place of honor:

my '80's Seiko 5 which has been through the mill and still runs and tell adequate time.

Sponsor

Excellent input, thanks! I think brushed is probably still doable, instead of bead blasted, & ability to self-repair is probably a plus. And don't entirely discount pub tales...

blasted would be my vote

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information