Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Best Value Automatic Dive Watch Under $500

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Re: Best Value Automatic Dive Watch Under $500

Quote Originally Posted by 20DYNAMITE07 View Post
    Tauchmeister T0046 (though some eliteists will disagree on the grounds that it's GermAsian)
    Yeah all those elitist who don't like crappy watch manufacturers who go out of their way to mislead the uninformed. Man those stuck-up elitist who try to keep people from buying garbage are sure a bunch of jerks!

With the exception of the Tacky-meister this is a pretty solid list, all of these are a good value.
    G-shock 7710
    Stowa Prodiver Black
    Seiko 7549-7009 Golden Tuna 600m

Quote Originally Posted by 1R0NH31D3 View Post
    Yeah all those elitist who don't like crappy watch manufacturers who go out of their way to mislead the uninformed. Man those stuck-up elitist who try to keep people from buying garbage are sure a bunch of jerks!

With the exception of the Tacky-meister this is a pretty solid list, all of these are a good value.
    Well, they've got their issues to be sure... but I personally don't have a problem with that model. Sapphire Glass, Miyota 8215 movement, 1000m case (I know...says them. But Deep Blue uses the same case and also makes the 1000m claim - so I give it more creedence) and good looks (1 of Tauchmesiter's 2 good looking watches - they have a submariner GMT that looks nice... the rest aren't so hot IMO). All that for $150 is a pretty good deal. You just have to hope you don't need any customer service .

As far as a German company building a watch with Asian components (and in most cases building most of their products in Asia) that doesn't really bug me like it does others - but that's just me.

Last edited by 20DYNAMITE07; February 7th, 2011 at 18:23.

Raymond Weil Freelancer 2730-ST-65001 / Seiko Sumo SBDC001 / Maranez Layan / Deep Blue Ocean Diver 500 #110 / Deep Blue DayNight OPS #325 / Citizen BJ8050-59E "ECOZILLA"/ Citizen BL5345-59H Titanium / Citizen BL5280-52X / Skagen Chronograph 331XLSLB / Garmin Forerunner 305 / Timex IRONMAN 30 Lap T5K412 / Swatch Irony Chrono

"Crappy"?

Well, a while back one of the guys here put a Tauchmeister (Deporte is the same watch, just branded differently on the dial) through a pretty impressive torture test and it survived with flying colors:

deporte torture test

The watch was baked, microwaved, run through a dishwasher, frozen, etc. No problems whatsoever.

IMO, that's impressive, and none of the watches listed in your signature would do any better. Some might not do as well.

I have no experience with the brand, and it probably wouldn't get my vote for best value. But I think it deserves a spot in the contest.

Last edited by Kent108; February 7th, 2011 at 18:25.

If an actual real life friend had a couple hundred dollars to spend on one watch would you recommend that he get a Tauchmeister?
    G-shock 7710
    Stowa Prodiver Black

Nope. BUT, if he said he wanted to get one, I wouldn't tell him he was crazy for doing so ...

If an actual real life friend had a couple hundred dollars to spend on one watch would you recommend that he get a Tauchmeister?

I'd recommend a Seiko DIver

Well, they've got their issues to be sure... but I personally don't have a problem with that model. Sapphire Glass, Miyota 8215 movement, 1000m case (I know...says them. But Deep Blue uses the same case and also makes the 1000m claim - so I give it more creedence) and good looks (1 of Tauchmesiter's 2 good looking watches - they have a submariner GMT that looks nice... the rest aren't so hot IMO). All that for $150 is a pretty good deal. You just have to hope you don't need any customer service .

As far as a German company building a watch with Asian components (and in most cases building most of their products in Asia) that doesn't really bug me like it does others - but that's just me.

It really depends on what you are requiring in a dive watch. Are you going to dive? I don't like 98% of Invicta watches but their 40mm Pro Diver with the Miyota auto is a great watch for the low price.

That Tauch sure looks a lot like my Momentum. They have incredible lume, long lasting batteries and are about $175. I was lucky enough to be the only bidder on this one and got it for $75 on ebay.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

If I had a buddy that said, "I wanna chunky automatic diver and I only want to spend $150" I would at least mention it to him. Personally, I'd try to talk him into an Orient Mako or a Seiko 007... Or if he were willing to go Quartz, I would tell him about the Deep Blue for customer service reasons. But some people like big hunks of metal, and that might fit the bill.

Ignore the name on the dial for a second... the case, movement, glass, and looks all add up to a nice package. It really is a pretty nice watch for $150.

Raymond Weil Freelancer 2730-ST-65001 / Seiko Sumo SBDC001 / Maranez Layan / Deep Blue Ocean Diver 500 #110 / Deep Blue DayNight OPS #325 / Citizen BJ8050-59E "ECOZILLA"/ Citizen BL5345-59H Titanium / Citizen BL5280-52X / Skagen Chronograph 331XLSLB / Garmin Forerunner 305 / Timex IRONMAN 30 Lap T5K412 / Swatch Irony Chrono

Deep Blue has a group under $500 right now over on Shopnbc,, you can go ETA or Miyota, Sapphire all, (T100 Trit Tubes or reg Lume).

I can see where your coming from for sure. And I do agree with some of what your saying and value your opinion. But. I'm still not convinced. I think they are crap and I'm recommending to gwhibbs that out of every watch mentioned in this thread the Tauch would be my last choice, based of the watches I have experience with. Everything else mentioned in this thread is a better choice. ;)

If I had a buddy that said, "I wanna chunky automatic diver and I only want to spend $150" I would at least mention it to him. Personally, I'd try to talk him into an Orient Mako or a Seiko 007... Or if he were willing to go Quartz, I would tell him about the Deep Blue for customer service reasons. But some people like big hunks of metal, and that might fit the bill.

Ignore the name on the dial for a second... the case, movement, glass, and looks all add up to a nice package. It really is a pretty nice watch for $150.
    G-shock 7710
    Stowa Prodiver Black

Thread Information