Borealis Cascais Swiss STP1-11 Preorder has started - Page 33
Like Tree654Likes

Thread: Borealis Cascais Swiss STP1-11 Preorder has started

Page 33 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Re: Borealis Cascais Swiss STP1-11 Preorder has started

Quote Originally Posted by Watches503 View Post
    My absolute pleasure. It has been so much fun to be able to do this with the prototypes. I'm a regular humble union worker of a grocery store so being able to share prototypes with the world from my "vintage" iPhone 5s is something really special to me. :) I think I'll wait for the iPhone 8 or 9 or until my screen breaks.

There's nothing remotely close to the white dial grey bezel out there so that has to be mine too. And because the dial is white, it reflects the C3 X1lume almost like a mirror

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I ordered the White dial with the Cathedral Hands. Just saw it a couple of days ago and fell in love.

I've really been looking for a white dialed diver and haven't found anything that suited me. The black bezel is nice, but I think I like the gray. I lusted after a white Halios Tropik SS with the numbered SS bezel but they are terribly hard to find and every time one popped up, it was gone.

Looking forward to the watch....Now I just have to sell something to replenish the kitty before the balance is due.

skip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Watches503 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwilliams View Post
    I ordered the White dial with the Cathedral Hands. Just saw it a couple of days ago and fell in love.

I've really been looking for a white dialed diver and haven't found anything that suited me. The black bezel is nice, but I think I like the gray. I lusted after a white Halios Tropik SS with the numbered SS bezel but they are terribly hard to find and every time one popped up, it was gone.

Looking forward to the watch....Now I just have to sell something to replenish the kitty before the balance is due.

skip

That's awesome to read. I too fell in love with the white one immediately. And I thought I was done with white dials so I was dead set on blue or black. But that changed quickly when I saw that grey bezel on it.

I'm rocking this one today though

Instagram: @watches503

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep99dad View Post
    Loving the Cascais blue proto

You're the king of wristshots. No doubt about it.

Any idea on potential ship dates? I know it says February.
    Oris Big Crown ProPilot
    Omega Speedmaster Reduced
    Stowa Marine Automatic
    Sinn 356
    Borealis Cascais
    Hamilton Tachymiler
    Torgoen T16302
    Citizen Eco Drive Ti AT0660-56E
    Casio World Time
    Casio G-Shock GX-56

Wish List:
    Ball Ionosphere
    Oak & Oscar Burnham
    Tudor Pelagos

Quote Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
    Any idea on potential ship dates? I know it says February.
    Per borealis watch forum admin:
    "Release of the Borealis Cascais is aimed for March/April. We asked factory to stop production of it this weeks closer to Chinese New Year as workers in this period are a bit more laxed."
    Turning is a pointer, the passing of the time, the same is true. Time to rush to flow to me only care about you. If time is a circle, and you are in the circle of the other head.

Quote Originally Posted by taike View Post
    Per borealis watch forum admin:
    "Release of the Borealis Cascais is aimed for March/April. We asked factory to stop production of it this weeks closer to Chinese New Year as workers in this period are a bit more laxed."
    Bummer, was really hoping for a Feb delivery. Oh well, worth the wait though.
    Oris Big Crown ProPilot
    Omega Speedmaster Reduced
    Stowa Marine Automatic
    Sinn 356
    Borealis Cascais
    Hamilton Tachymiler
    Torgoen T16302
    Citizen Eco Drive Ti AT0660-56E
    Casio World Time
    Casio G-Shock GX-56

Wish List:
    Ball Ionosphere
    Oak & Oscar Burnham
    Tudor Pelagos

Quote Originally Posted by Watches503 View Post
    That's awesome to read. I too fell in love with the white one immediately. And I thought I was done with white dials so I was dead set on blue or black. But that changed quickly when I saw that grey bezel on it.

I'm rocking this one today though

That's just teasing.

The C3 X1 wants to be seen even when it's not dark

48 Hour Review of the Borealis Cascais Prototype - Brown dial, brown bezel, pencil hands

I'm posting this review within the thread partly because there are already 3 other Borealis related threads on the first page of the F74 forum. Also I have comments that might be construed as more more negative that I intend on the open forum. That isn't my intention and I hope this audience is better take the pros and cons I present in the appropriate light.

Name:  2017-02-03 16.21.02 (Large).jpg
Views: 229
Size:  267.2 KB

Pro:

The impression of quality is immediate! The heft of the Cascais is certainly a big part of the impression of quality. But it just feels solid. The only other watch that has left this type of impression on me is the Christopher Ward C60 Pro. It isn't just that it feels heavy therefor must be good. The litle things that Borealis got right on this is impressive. The subtle slope of the bezel managing to merge right into the dome of the sapphire is impressive. There is a beveled edge on the glass to provide some visual separation but the angles seem like they were measured to align perfectly. The alignment of the applied markers are perfect. This is really noticable on the 12 oclock marker that is 2 pieces but still sits perfectly between the 58 and 02 hash marks AND lines up directly underneath the arrow of the lume pip on the bezel. Borealis needs to give Seiko a clinic on this. The fit of the endlinks is spectaular! There is ever so slight amount of movement there that you can feel but not see at all. No matter how you twist or turn those endlinks they don't budge! People were fawning all over the Ginault endlink fit.....Borealis Cascais is no slouch in this department. I have never owned a Borealis before but I did have a Prometheus Pirahnna (which I assume is comparable) and this Cascais is a significant step up quality over that watch.

The finishing on Cascais is well done and applied evenly. The very subtle polished edge running the length of the case is an appreciated touch on an otherwise completely brushed finish. It also helps to tie into the bling of the applied markers and handset.

The lume is great. This version is only the BGW9 model but wow is it applied evenly and heavy! It lights up easily just under regular indoor lighting. This lume shot was taken after walking from my office to my car and back. Possibly 1 minute under overcast conditions?

Name:  2017-02-03 16.18.39 (Large).jpg
Views: 225
Size:  134.3 KB

The bezel grip is very usable. The Cascais has a thin bezel in terms of the gripping surface and might have been difficult to turn but Borealis specced just the right type of grip to prevent any problems. My Oris 65 bezel is not as usable.

The sweep of the STP movement is really SMOOTH. Subjectively speaking it is better than ETA or Miyota in my experience.

The 42x49x13mm size is really great for my 7.25" wrist. It is probably the upper limit of what I would wear but this one feels like a Seiko Sumo on my wrist. If you have had a Sumo you know that it feels like it wraps around your wrist. Lots of surface area that touches your skin and it feels like it is hugging your wrist. The Cascais is much the same feel. Also I have not had ANY issues wearing this watch with long sleeves. It slides under my sleeves effortlessly. Big plus for me!

Cons:

Let me first say that my cons are mostly a factor of personal preference so your experience may be much different.

Let me start with the bracelet. I don't like how the first free link attached to the end link. To me it sticks out akwardly and my eyes are always drawn to that oddity.

Name:  2017-02-03 14.50.28 (Large).jpg
Views: 220
Size:  303.9 KBName:  2017-02-03 14.47.40 (Large).jpg
Views: 217
Size:  241.3 KB

The bracelet does taper from 22mm to 20mm at the clasp but I would have preferred a further taper to 18mm. When I am wearing a heavier bracelet like this one a more significant taper always will help with long term wearing comfort. Right now it feels a bit like I have a steel belt attached to my wrist.

Then the clasp. I'll just say it, I really don't like this style of clasp. I realize that lots of micros are using it. On a more toolish watch like a Boschett Cave Dweller or NFW Shumate this clasp at least works aesthetically. But on a more demure design like the Cascais it's too much. The folded clasp is almost as thick as the watch head!

Name:  2017-02-03 16.21.46 (Large).jpg
Views: 979
Size:  143.8 KB

Plus in past experience this clasp always becomes a source of discomfort when wearing it in warmer/humid climates.

The crown screw in feel is not pleasent to me. I want to feel a solid mechanical engagement. On my prototype the crown feels gummy.....almost like I am twisting the seals when screwing down the crown. It does engage quickly and easily but the winding feel is not good. I had to check it a few times just to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

The color scheme. This brownish-grey color just doesn't do it for me. I'm not feeling it. Maybe the black or blue would be more up my alley?
    Name:  2017-02-03 14.52.02 (Large).jpg
Views: 221
Size:  188.9 KB

The watch is heavy. I will say that I have been gravitating towards lighter watches in the past year. But when compared to the Oris 65 which is a similar style and size; in the Oris at the end of a day I could keep wearing it well into the night and not have any issues. With the Borealis i am glad to be able to take the watch off. To be fair I had much the same experience with my departed Seiko MM300. Again personal preference. Heavy watches tend to always remind me that they are there. The longer I stay in this watch hobby the more I want the experience of wearing a watch to be seamless.

Final thoughts:

The Cascais is wonderfully made piece but it's probably is not the best choice for me personally. I am open to having my mind changed if I ever get to sample the blue or black versions though! THAT LUME!

Oh I forgot to mention that this STP movement seems to be keeping time at around +2 sec per day. Really a nice surprise in an afordable movement.

Solid review. I personally like the brown, but I went with the blue one in the end as I didn't want to have another "earth tone" watch dial and I was lacking a blue dial sports watch in the collection. I plan on removing the bracelet for a leather nato immediately so most of the negatives you perceive won't affect me whatsoever. I don't know if I'll ever even use the bracelet tbh. I have my Black Bay Noir for when I crave a bracelet.
    valuewatchguy likes this.
    Alpina 130 Pilot Heritage Chronograph
    Baume & Mercier Classima 10214
    Breitling Navitimer 01 46mm AB0127
    Breitling Premier 797
    Cartier Tank Basculante 2390
    Hamilton Khaki Field Pioneer
    Longines Evidenza Big Date
    Longines Legend Diver
    Lucerne World Timer NOS vintage
    Nomos Orion Midnight Edition
    Rolex Datejust 16014 "Buckley"
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79220N
    Victorinox Alliance Chronograph
    Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 53 Compression

Page 33 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast