Breitling Superocean help...

Thread: Breitling Superocean help...

-->

Question Breitling Superocean help...

Also posted in the Breitling forum, but it's still a dive waytch...

I am looking into buying a Breitling Superocean or Superocean Professional, however I am only interested in the models which were made up until 2002 (1998-2002 I believe). I thought the differences between these and later models were only cosmetic. I further only thought the difference between the superocean and superocean professionals were obvious (cosmetic and water resistance). But now as I look into these 2 models more specifically, I am reading things which say only some of the models have chronometre certified movements. I'm getting confused. Isn't the Breitling 17 Mov't coronometre certified? Did they just alter the mov't and keep the same caliber number? On models produced starting in 2003, the dials indicate chronometre certification and still feature the 17 mov't. I thought in 2003 the only differences between these and 2002/before models were cosmetic and that basically, the superocean professional was dropped for the superocean but featured the 5000ft WR like the professional.

I have the 2001, 02, 03, 04, 06 chronologs from Breitling.

I did a different web search and came across this site: The Breitling SuperOcean Professional
    Check down at the bottom at the last picture's caption, where it calls the a17045 the colt superocean professional. Isn't the colt automatic an entirely different watch, even though it has the 17 mov't? This would explain how the superocean/superocean professional do not have chronometre certifications, but I'm still confused as to why 03 and later versions have the same movement and chronometre certifications.

That's when things got a bit haywire.

But essentially, I am looking for a superocean or superocean professional model from 1998-2002 with a chronometre certified movement and helium escape valve.

Now that i look into buying one, I am tripping up over specific details that I thought I understood...but guess I don't...
    Please correct my misunderstandings or ask me to clarify if I am confusing anyone with what I am saying.
    This is my first time looking for a Breitling.
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

Legal or illegal doesn't make something right or wrong

Re: Breitling Superocean help...

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

I owned a black dialed SOP from around 2000 or 1999. It was a great watch, extremely accurate and took a lot of abuse. (I fired several thousand rounds of 9mm wearing that watch and it was always within a second per day.)

That said I don't know if you are going to get all the answers you are looking for. I can recall that the non chronometer movt SOP's which are like the first few years production used Mineral Glass crystals. The second version had Sapphire crystals and was marked as a chronometer on the caseback.

If you can find a SOP marked as chronometer then just get it. That is what I had and the only thing I did't like about the watch was the substandard lume. This is an ongoing issue with Breitling, first back when I had my SOP it had plenty of lume but it wasn't bright, and now on the newer watches it's brighter but there is never enough lume on them!

Sorry I can't help you out any more than that...

Double Post...
    Last edited by Biginboca; August 23rd, 2010 at 04:53.

Laughing Re: Breitling Superocean help...

Hi there

I understand your confusion. Breitling have made quite a few permutations over the years of the SuperOcean model. Here are a few - the oldest first:

1)

2)

3) 1965

4)

5) SO - 1995 model

6) SOP - 1998 model without COSC certification - 1999 with COSC certification

7) Queen of the Seas - 2002 model

8) King of the Seas - 2003 model

9) 2007 model

10) Herritage

11) 2008 model

12) Steelfish

13) The Abyss - 2010 model

Obviously you knew that but I thought it would be fun to see the "family tree"

Anyhow to get back to your dilemma:

Picture # 5 is the SuperOcean (SO) 1000 m. Shiny and with mineral glass and NOT COSC certified.

It was followed by the SuperOcean Professional (SOP) (pic # 6) which had a sapphire glass and was initially without COSC certified but late came with the COSC label as did all the following Breitling models (from 1999).
    It was rated 1524 m.

Shortly after a new SO rated 1500 m was released (pic # 7). This 2002 model is brilliantly reviewed by Marc Levesque here:Breitling SuperOcean, Queen of the Seas, a review

For further information look arround in Don Idianos home page:

The Breitling SuperOcean

and in this :

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

Kind regards

Jacob
    Last edited by WatchUp; August 25th, 2010 at 02:04. Reason: Broken picture link fixed

broken picture link in my post above is now fixed.

rgds Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by WatchUp View Post
    Hi there

I understand your confusion. Breitling have made quite a few permutations over the years of the SuperOcean model. Here are a few - the oldest first:

12) Steelfish

Kind regards

Jacob
    Ok, can I just say?-- this reply ROCKS!! Ubercool (unlike the word "ubercool").

Thanks Jacob, I really enjoyed that pictorial/history review. Also, the SOSF is by far my favorite. Not loving the new Abyss, but maybe it'll grow on me.
    Regards.

Current Rotation: breitling cockpit -tag heuer aquagraph -oris TT1 date black -seiko skx781 "orange monster" -seiko snm035 "landmonster" -citizen Promaster Titanium Eco-Drive 300m BJ8041-09E "ecozilla" -citizen ecodrive professional titanium BN0016-55L, blue dial "orca" -getat 44mm sterile rose gold luminor-style manual wind -getat 44mm sterile PVD orange "numbrels" manual wind --invictas: 8926c,8928ob,3712, 6410, 6024, 6924, 6926, 6927
    Quartz: growing collectin of G's: DW5600MS-1, GW7900b-1, DW9000mx-8, G5600 green
    swiss army officers, behringer, newton & sons, kenneth cole tankx2, yaffa movado-style

Wishlist: JLC Navy Seals, BP FF

loved the pictorial lineup...a good post. thanks.

i've had my eye on possibly getting a steelfish. we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by WatchUp View Post
    Hi there

1)

2)

3) 1965

4)

5) SO - 1995 model

6) SOP - 1998 model without COSC certification - 1999 with COSC certification

7) Queen of the Seas - 2002 model

8) King of the Seas - 2003 model

9) 2007 model

10) Herritage

11) 2008 model

12) Steelfish

13) The Abyss - 2010 model

Obviously you knew that but I thought it would be fun to see the "family tree"

Anyhow to get back to your dilemma:

Picture # 5 is the SuperOcean (SO) 1000 m. Shiny and with mineral glass and NOT COSC certified.

It was followed by the SuperOcean Professional (SOP) (pic # 6) which had a sapphire glass and was initially without COSC certified but late came with the COSC label as did all the following Breitling models (from 1999).
    It was rated 1524 m.

Shortly after a new SO rated 1500 m was released (pic # 7). This 2002 model is brilliantly reviewed by Marc Levesque here:Breitling SuperOcean, Queen of the Seas, a review

For further information look arround in Don Idianos home page:

The Breitling SuperOcean

and in this :

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

Kind regards

Jacob
    Last edited by Denizen; August 29th, 2010 at 04:19.

Thread Information