Thread: Buying a Seiko Marinemaster 300m in Tokyo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Buying a Seiko Marinemaster 300m in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    So far, I have the following retailers down as worthy of investigation:
    - http://www.seiyajapan.com/category/6_diver_s_watch/

I don't believe Seiya is a walk-in type B/M type of watch shop, just mail order.
    DW

Dive Watches Mod & MaL OnTimeGabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Woo View Post
    I don't believe Seiya is a walk-in type B/M type of watch shop, just mail order.
    DW
    Yes, he's said before that he runs the business out of his home with help from his wife. He might be willing to work out some sort of deal, but it would have to be arranged in advance.
    Regards,

Gabe

Tokyo's quite a big place ( 36 million people and counting .. ) so it depends which part of Tokyo you will be visiting. If you are right in the centre, Bic Camera in Yurachacho ( 5 mins walk from Tokyo Station ) stocks the MM300. You'll find it at 30% off RRP. You can additionally obtain 5% purchase tax refund too - take your passport to the store. Of the other stores already mentioned, Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku has a good selection in their dedicated 5-floor watch shop : walk past the Camera shop ! There are lots of watch shops in Shinjuku so if its close to where you are staying, its worth a visit. Its a mad area, absurdly crowded, confusing streets -think Blade Runner without the hover cars and robo-assassinations ( most of the time ).

The other branches of Bic Camera in Tokyo generally have a more limited selection than the Yurachacho branch by the way, including the enormous mother ship in Shinjuku.

If you do happen to be around the Tokyo Station area in January, PM me. I work close by and if I'm not in meeting-hell, would be happy to take you to Bic Camera and help with the Japanese if you need it.

TT

Quote Originally Posted by speshul_ed View Post
    If you're looking for used/vintage watches, there is a mall near Nakano Station called Broadway catering mainly to the vintage otaku/anime-type crowd. But, there was a shop selling used Euro watches there (Rolex, Paneri, Omega) for what i guess are good prices - my friend was pissed that i didn't get pick up a Paneri for what he called a "steal". There was a survival/military surplus store (green walls) with a display case full of vintage Seiko watches. A couple watches that caught my attention were vintage Seiko divers (these were 6xxx series, but don't remember the specific model numbers anymore... sorry) that were being sold for ~$200 - unfortunately, I didn't do my research, so I ended up passing on these. You can probably negotiate prices at these types of places - they might even give you a better discount if you negotiate in English. LOL
    Oh weird, that has to be the same building I was talking about. I was totally shocked to find three watch shops in it.

Quote Originally Posted by tokyotokei View Post
    he other branches of Bic Camera in Tokyo generally have a more limited selection than the Yurachacho branch by the way, including the enormous mother ship in Shinjuku.
    TT
    Interesting. The one in Shinjuku is so huge I figured it had the best selection. Sounds like the Yurakucho one is the place to go. I'm gonna have to check it out next time I get up to Tokyo from way down here in Miyako-jima, Okinawa.

BTW, check out the Seiko Museum if you have time in Tokyo. I really enjoyed it when I was there in Sept.

Ueno's street market area is another place you must check out. It's located just up the road from Akihabara.

Thanks so much for the valuable information supawabb, kent108, teg33, cummje, speshul_ed, David Woo, OnTimeGabe, and kiwidj - it's much appreciated, and I will definitely be following up on these leads.
    Last edited by Argon; December 5th, 2009 at 18:40.

Tokyo's quite a big place ( 36 million people and counting .. ) so it depends which part of Tokyo you will be visiting. If you are right in the centre, Bic Camera in Yurachacho ( 5 mins walk from Tokyo Station ) stocks the MM300. You'll find it at 30% off RRP. You can additionally obtain 5% purchase tax refund too - take your passport to the store. Of the other stores already mentioned, Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku has a good selection in their dedicated 5-floor watch shop : walk past the Camera shop ! There are lots of watch shops in Shinjuku so if its close to where you are staying, its worth a visit. Its a mad area, absurdly crowded, confusing streets -think Blade Runner without the hover cars and robo-assassinations ( most of the time ).

The other branches of Bic Camera in Tokyo generally have a more limited selection than the Yurachacho branch by the way, including the enormous mother ship in Shinjuku.

If you do happen to be around the Tokyo Station area in January, PM me. I work close by and if I'm not in meeting-hell, would be happy to take you to Bic Camera and help with the Japanese if you need it.

TT
    Thank you for the generous offer, Tokyotokei - I'm considering buying a Grand Seiko of some sort while I'm in Tokyo, and so may well take you up on that.

I have heard that MM300s are available at a very attractive price at the main Seiko store in Bangkok (I will be stopping off there a few weeks before arriving in Tokyo). Someone who was there recently says that he was offered a MM300 at this store for BHT54,000 which, when you take the 7% tax reclaim into account, works out at around THB50,500 which equates to $1,520 / 1,023 / 923 / Y137,637. This sounds like a great deal - do you have an idea what Bic Camera in Yurachacho might charge?

I loved your description of Shinjuku by the way - 'It's a mad area, absurdly crowded, confusing streets -think Blade Runner without the hover cars and robo-assassinations ( most of the time )'

Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    [ .. ] was offered a MM300 at this store for BHT54,000 which, when you take the 7% tax reclaim into account, works out at around THB50,500 which equates to $1,520 / 1,023 / 923 / Y137,637. This sounds like a great deal - do you have an idea what Bic Camera in Yurachacho might charge?
    From memory, about JPY 180,000 after the 30% RRP discount but before the 5% you'd be able to reclaim. I'll check tomorrow. Bic Camera will match any local price, but not foreign prices. I think the strong yen is an issue for Japan at the moment.

TT

From memory, about JPY 180,000 after the 30% RRP discount but before the 5% you'd be able to reclaim. I'll check tomorrow. Bic Camera will match any local price, but not foreign prices. I think the strong yen is an issue for Japan at the moment.
    TT
    Had a quick look today and they have one in stock. The price was JPY 183,700 ( 30% off RRP ). Seems like the Thai price is better - assuming it is genuine of course

Oh, and it's a great looking watch

MUST RESIST

TT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information