Cheap automatic/mechanical dive watch? - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cheap automatic/mechanical dive watch?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Cheap automatic/mechanical dive watch?

Amphibia.

This is how it starts. I'd say buy a seiko sumo used and be happy knowing that you've got arguably the best value per dollar watch made-especially at a used price. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T3C

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGuy View Post
    I've never wanted to own a dive watch until recently, and now, for no reason I can understand, I want one. But - I want a cheap mechanical or automatic watch. I'm thinking along the lines of something like an Orient Mako II, or maybe a Vostok Amphibia. I'd prefer an older established brand than a new microbrand - although I understand there are some absolutely terrific microbrand dive watches. In my own home town, the Melbourne Watch Company's "Sorrento" is one such - although more expensive than I want to spend right now. I have no problem with a pre-owned watch.

But maybe the experts on this forum have better ideas for me?

Thanks,
    -A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narc'd View Post
    If you can pick up a used Citizen NY0040 or Seiko SKX007/009 for the right sort of money you're thinking of then you'll have a great, classic dive watch. Both well known brands with history, both great watches, both wear well from small to large wrists. If you get a good example that's in decent nick and you don't like it and decide you want to sell it on then both watches should be pretty easy to move on.

Here's a good comparison of the two from "Fratello Watches": https://www.fratellowatches.com/summ...itizen-ny0040/
    Totally agree with the choice of Citizen NY0040. Some also call it the Citizen Marina Militare: Italian Navy Frogmen and Deep Divers watches - The Dive Watch Connection

And if going the pre-owned route, try looking for a clean early production model. I have 2, one early and one recent. The recent one doesn't seem as well built as my early model. Could be a Monday morning thing though ... I have a bunch of SKXs too but the NYs beat them hands down, IMHO.
    120 likes this.

Orient Mako USA II is a good pick. I would recommend that you also look at a Deep Blue Master 1000. I have a green bezel / black dial on mesh. It is one of my favorite bargains!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I think it's better than making a new one with the same subject.

Firstly, I would like to say hi to everyone on here as I am new on the forums. The question I have is partially a reaosn why I registered on here, hopefully to stay for long. I am slowly starting to look at a nice automatic watch for myself that won't break my bank (around $200). I like sport themed watches as well as diver watches. I really love the looks of the Rolex GMT Master II with the Pepsi bezel. With all that, I found myself interested in the Seiko SKX009 with the Pepsi bezel. Of course its not like I'm going to try to fool anyone that I have a Rolex, but the Seiko has few cues of the GMT Master II which I would love to have, but probably won't ever afford one. I would like to ask if the SKX009 is the best that one can get in its price range and category and Pepsi colorway? I have looked at the Citizen NY0040, but the design just doesn't do it for me. Is there any other watch that I should consider?

Quote Originally Posted by Simao View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I think it's better than making a new one with the same subject.

Firstly, I would like to say hi to everyone on here as I am new on the forums. The question I have is partially a reaosn why I registered on here, hopefully to stay for long. I am slowly starting to look at a nice automatic watch for myself that won't break my bank (around $200). I like sport themed watches as well as diver watches. I really love the looks of the Rolex GMT Master II with the Pepsi bezel. With all that, I found myself interested in the Seiko SKX009 with the Pepsi bezel. Of course its not like I'm going to try to fool anyone that I have a Rolex, but the Seiko has few cues of the GMT Master II which I would love to have, but probably won't ever afford one. I would like to ask if the SKX009 is the best that one can get in its price range and category and Pepsi colorway? I have looked at the Citizen NY0040, but the design just doesn't do it for me. Is there any other watch that I should consider?
    You should take a look at the Steinhart GMT-OCEAN 1 BLUE RED. It's a little more than your budget but not by much. They come up on the used forum, I picked one up there.

Last edited by Vindic8; 13 Hours Ago at 09:15.

I ended up ordering an Orient Mako II from longislandwatch.com (who I believe to be reputable), and who seemed to be doing a good deal. I was quite taken with the Deep Blue models, but the Orient was only 75% the cost. As I'm in Australia, it will probably arrive early next month.

That Steinhart is certainly a fine beast - a bit Rolex-derivative, maybe? (In fact I hanker after a Steinhart Marine B-Uhr, which is no longer in production.)
    Last edited by AussieGuy; 11 Hours Ago at 11:41.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGuy View Post
    I ended up ordering an Orient Mako II from longislandwatch.com (who I believe to be reputable)
    Sure is. Check out his Youtube channel if you haven't already, I'm sure he did some videos on the Mako somewhat recently. https://www.youtube.com/user/islandwatchdotcom

Vindic 8, that Steinhart is really cool, but I just don't have that much to spend (and if I was looking at that price range, I would probably go for a Tissot). Other option is the Orient Mako II or the Ray II, if only they had the factory Pepsi bezel option I would not think much more, but they don't. I know I'm picky, but I rather be picky and happy with the purchase, than regret it. Maybe if I look good enough, I can find the Deep Blue Master 1000 within my range. How good are the Deep Blues?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information