Cheap automatic/mechanical dive watch?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cheap automatic/mechanical dive watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cheap automatic/mechanical dive watch?

I've never wanted to own a dive watch until recently, and now, for no reason I can understand, I want one. But - I want a cheap mechanical or automatic watch. I'm thinking along the lines of something like an Orient Mako II, or maybe a Vostok Amphibia. I'd prefer an older established brand than a new microbrand - although I understand there are some absolutely terrific microbrand dive watches. In my own home town, the Melbourne Watch Company's "Sorrento" is one such - although more expensive than I want to spend right now. I have no problem with a pre-owned watch.

But maybe the experts on this forum have better ideas for me?

Thanks,
    -A.
    m235i likes this.

Re: Cheap automatic/mechanical dive watch?

If you can pick up a used Citizen NY0040 or Seiko SKX007/009 for the right sort of money you're thinking of then you'll have a great, classic dive watch. Both well known brands with history, both great watches, both wear well from small to large wrists. If you get a good example that's in decent nick and you don't like it and decide you want to sell it on then both watches should be pretty easy to move on.

Here's a good comparison of the two from "Fratello Watches": https://www.fratellowatches.com/summ...itizen-ny0040/
    Seppia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGuy View Post
    I've never wanted to own a dive watch until recently, and now, for no reason I can understand, I want one. But - I want a cheap mechanical or automatic watch. I'm thinking along the lines of something like an Orient Mako II, or maybe a Vostok Amphibia. I'd prefer an older established brand than a new microbrand - although I understand there are some absolutely terrific microbrand dive watches. In my own home town, the Melbourne Watch Company's "Sorrento" is one such - although more expensive than I want to spend right now. I have no problem with a pre-owned watch.

But maybe the experts on this forum have better ideas for me?

Thanks,
    -A.
    Fellow Aussie here, any particular case size you are after ? I have a vintage seiko Pepsi I'm considering selling as it is too small for my liking

There's a lot of options in the Seiko 5 Sports range, I can recommend downunderwatches.com as a good source. Around 3 days shipping to au from Singapore

I got the Seiko Ice Monster at around $200. Awesome watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned, Seiko has a number of options, like the SKX, Monster, and the new Turtles. They also have the "5" series mechanicals, which are less expensive, and perhaps a little less robust in WR.

Thanks folks for the recommendations - for watches and for sellers. So downunderwatches.com is legitimate and trustworthy? Five years ago I bought a Tissot from "watchseeker.com.au" (which now doesn't exist, thankfully) which turned out to be fake. I was able to get my money back, but since then I've been a bit wary of online sellers promising great deals.

For what you're after I would head straight for the Mako/Ray.
    Rocat likes this.

Citizen NY0040 used to be probably the cheapest ISO rated diver out there(140USD) but now it's very hard to find and expensive(200+Euro).

Seiko SKX007/009 is probably the cheapest at the moment(180+USD). I managed to get one at 160USD earlier but the shipment from Singapore to Australia was hopelessly slow(3+ weeks).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGuy View Post
    Thanks folks for the recommendations - for watches and for sellers. So downunderwatches.com is legitimate and trustworthy? Five years ago I bought a Tissot from "watchseeker.com.au" (which now doesn't exist, thankfully) which turned out to be fake. I was able to get my money back, but since then I've been a bit wary of online sellers promising great deals.
    Yep I have purchased two watches from there no problems. They are the same company as creationwatches.com

Get a Seiko Turtle. Best option!

I cut my teeth on an Orient Ray. Great watch for the money.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast