A comparative review of the new ISOfrane strap - Page 5
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: A comparative review of the new ISOfrane strap

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Re: A comparative review of the new ISOfrane strap

Hi,

I just recently received my new Ispfrane Black 22mm Strap with PVD Buckle and it is a great strap. I will even say the best I have had yet.
    Here are some quick pictures with my Titanium diver on Isofrane strap:

Tawatec Titan Black Diver in Da house.

Regards,

akitadog

Colin- I just scanned your review. Well done. Question- Somebody on the Citizen Skyhawk thread mentioned Isofrane and that got me over here. Are the Isofranes so stiff and hard that they could leave marks on a Skyhawk where they meet the case? Most Skyhawk buyers don't buy them to dive, probably. They are an attractive bauble. I'm on the verge of buying one myself. You divers probably use real diving watches and wouldn't care much if they get scratched by an Isofrane. Staying alive while diving is probably your main concern. I've never seen an Isofrane strap in person so I don't know how stiff and hard they are.

You say you wish the Isofranes came with spring bars, so they come with none? You use whatever springbars came with your watch, including the ones that come with a SS bracelet, I guess. If one is using springbars that don't have the same diameter as the openings in the end of the Isofrane strap, wouldn't that produce a strap that is wobbling around on the springbar if the bar is too small a diameter? I wonder if one can buy springbars of different diameters (as well as different widths, of course).

The Isofrane straps are softer and more pliable than any rubber Citizen strap I've ever used, so I wouldn't expect them to cause any problems with marking up a case.

IMO, all straps should come with a set of springbars as a matter of courtesy. Not all companies do so IME. Springbars are available in a variety of diameters. Springbars which are too loose and springbars which are too tight can both cause problems.
    "Deeds, not words, shall speak me." - John Fletcher

sml

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu View Post
    Finally, what I would like to see in the next edition of the modern ISOfrane:
    1. More of a taper towards the free ends of the strap. I'm willing to sacrifice some durability for even a minor increment in comfort. A thinner end is also easier to feed through the keepers.
    3. An option for a lighter buckle of stamped metal. I know this is against the grain of bigger/heavier/higher quality (which is evident in the work done on this new strap), but TBH I've never had a buckle fail and only recently heard about a G10 buckle that broke (the G10 buckle is much more lightweight than the vintage isofrane buckle). Again, I'm willing to sacrifice some durability and beef for a shade more comfort.
    4. Supplied with springbars. Now this is an area where I'd like to see some beef applied! More metal is never wasted in a springbar IMO - I have had them fail several times.
    Just received my ISOFRANE ...
    1. AGREE
    2. AGREE
    3. AGREE

when will it happen?

sml

i've been wearing my isofrane for a few weeks now.
    unfortunately it is actually not very good and quite uncomfortable on the wrist.
    because the strap is so thick it does not bend/mould comfortably around the wrist, and it makes the strap very bulky.
    so this $100 isofrane not for me.
    Last edited by Nalu; January 1st, 2012 at 00:47. Reason: No FS posts in the discussion forums

Quote Originally Posted by ylW4U93 View Post
    But thanks for reminding me of another item on my 'wish list' for ISOfrane - an extension piece such as is available for the TF strap and previously available for the vintage isofrane
    The straps came with a wetsuit extension piece when they first appeared and I just looked on the site and they are still available. Click on the "dive extensions" tab.

I'm glad that folks enjoy their Isofrane straps, but please note that this is a thread about a comparison of the modern Isofrane straps to other similar straps. Also, it's a place to get questions answered about the strap before one buys and has a problem. There are several other threads on the DWF for posting pictures of your straps mounted on watches.

Can somebody explain to me why ISOfrane watch bands are so expensive? They are rubber or plastic right? Are they any tougher than a NATO watch band $10?
    Last edited by G-Shocks Are Cool.; January 8th, 2012 at 19:16.
    The MTG is retired and the 5600 too. Right now, the only working G-Shocks that I use and enjoy are the Riseman GW9200-1 and the GW6900-1

If I can own a Rolex Submariner I would. I know they are tough too, their homages are tough. Trust me.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1. G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, G-Shock GW6900-1

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shocks Are Cool. View Post
    Can somebody explain to me why ISOfrane watch bands are so expensive? They are rubber or plastic right? Are they any tougher than a NATO watch band $10?
    Yup. It's called marketing. Make it unique, put up banner ads, and charge a lot of money for it.

People pay 10x as much for a little more rubber and some styling. In the end, you could still cut it with a sharp pair of scissors. Such is life...no shame in a $10 nato strap...as long as it serves its purpose!!

sml

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shocks Are Cool. View Post
    the standard rate for the straps are about US$25-30 ..... Bonetto Cinturini - Diver & Sport Watch Straps - Italian Rubber Watch Bands - Cinturini per orologio in gomma - Correas de caucho para relojes

i think the ISOfrane is made in the same place, so you pay about extra $70 for the fancy name & design.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information