Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Diver with no date & around 40mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Diver with no date & around 40mm

+1 on the Precista PRS-14. It is a killer watch, very reasonably priced, exactly the size and price you want, and Eddie is a wonderful guy to help support.

+2 on the Precista PRS-14, keep your eye out for a PRS-18 as well, or the PRS-50B is available. Also, +1 on the Steinhart Ocean One Vintage, I have the dated (red)version and love it.
    Last edited by Michael 808; June 15th, 2010 at 23:51.

EHV

I have a Stowa Seatime with a blue dial and no date on order. That would fit your criteria.

Stowa is only offering the black dials now and I'm not sure if the no date option is still available but if you check the pic of the Seatime on the bracelet, it shows the no date version.
    E-mail them and request this if you want and I'd bet they would comply. The only dilemma with Stowa is that it takes a couple of months to get your watch but in the end it's definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by EHV View Post
    I have a Stowa Seatime with a blue dial and no date on order. That would fit your criteria.

Stowa is only offering the black dials now and I'm not sure if the no date option is still available but if you check the pic of the Seatime on the bracelet, it shows the no date version.
    E-mail them and request this if you want and I'd bet they would comply. The only dilemma with Stowa is that it takes a couple of months to get your watch but in the end it's definitely worth it.

That is nice! Very different look!

LGH

Why not the watch that replaced the Rolex Submariner in the Royal Navy? The CWC Royal Navy Diver is available as quartz (current issue) and auto (80'ies). It looks real darn good and is also affordable - more so than some of its homages!

Quote Originally Posted by LGH View Post
    Why not the watch that replaced the Rolex Submariner in the Royal Navy? The CWC Royal Navy Diver is available as quartz (current issue) and auto (80'ies). It looks real darn good and is also affordable - more so than some of its homages!
    +1 on that. Also +1 on the Steinhart Ocean 1 Vintage (no-date). It's 42mm, but a very nice watch for the money.
    Homage watches democratize history for the common wrist.

Cheers! James

What is a date doing on a dive watch anyway? The whole idea is absurd. Dive watches should focus on legibility and maximum information about the current moment.

Admittedly, I have a problem with the traditional window-date on almost all watches, since it violates the circularity of the instrument.

But a date on a dive watch? It's like the date on a Heuer Monaco -- the real vintage aficionados go for the 3-register Valjoux HW version instead. Racers, like divers, could give a flying phootoie about the date.

Thank you, yes I do feel better now.

(Sorry about reviving a dead thread, but I didn't know what the date was.)
    Last edited by phoobo; October 17th, 2012 at 06:21.
    fibonacci likes this.

Agreed mon ami. Its been a while and I still havent found my perfect watch. :(

Quote Originally Posted by phoobo View Post
    What is a date doing on a dive watch anyway? The whole idea is absurd. Dive watches should focus on legibility and maximum information about the current moment.

Admittedly, I have a problem with the traditional window-date on almost all watches, since it violates the circularity of the instrument.

But a date on a dive watch? It's like the date on a Heuer Monaco -- the real vintage aficionados go for the 3-register Valjoux HW version instead. Racers, like divers, could give a flying phootoie about the date.

Quote Originally Posted by phoobo View Post

Indeed you need to figure out what date it is.

Most diver watches are for desk divers and don't see water below 5 ft.

Welcome.

Here are a couple I like:

CWC RN Auto Diver

Helson Skindiver: discontinued but you can find them used.

Also I'd check out the MKII Kingston and Nassau. Kingston is sold out,but available used. Nassau available to order now, but won't deliver for a few months. Here are stock photos, I haven't gotten mine yet.

Darwin likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information