Do you actually like the look of a cyclops? - Page 2
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Do you actually like the look of a cyclops?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Do you actually like the look of a cyclops?

Love it.
    STEINHART OCEAN ONE BLACK T0204 | SEIKO SKX779 "Black Monster" | SEIKO Speed-Timer 6138-0030 | TISSOT PRC 200 T17.1.526.52 | ORIENT CEM75002D "Blue Mako XL" | VOSTOK AMPHIBIA 710615 "Sailboat" | Casio DW-5600MS-1 "Military" | Poljot Buran Military Chronograph 3133 "Gold Flieger Chronograph" | Poljot Komandirskie Chronograph 3133 "U-boat" | SQUALE Y1545 "Root Beer"
    and more...

Collection --> Hidden Content

To the OP - I agree with you the cyclops distorts the date and instead made it even harder to read unless looking at it at the right angle. Also IMO, it exaggerates the imbalance of design on the face of the watch. I dont find it ugly but considers it a really annoying feature and a massive deal breaker.

I know that they can make the date harder to read in some angles, attracts reflections and all, but for some reasons, I like them. It comes from my childhood. As a kid, I remember being mystified by that bubble on the glass of my father and grand father's watch. I cannot explain it, it's just the way it is. I would not like to have it on all my watches, but I have three with them and enjoy them. My only criteria is at least 2X magnification. Less than that (Steinhart, I'm talking to you!), it's useless.

The SAR definitely has the best cyclops of the three

Last edited by DM71; August 1st, 2013 at 16:05.
    ~ Daniel ~

Aesthetically I dislike. Except, for some reason, on the vintage, acrylic 1680's. Those are awesome. (borrowed pic)
    Name:  Rolex-7.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  58.8 KBName:  Rolex-8.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  61.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsik View Post
    I hate it.. I can't understand why the date is important under the sea.. why???
    Actually my only working cyclops loses most of it's magnification under water :)

I'm not generally for or against, but the date often looks better magnified, if the date wheel is nice. On a sub I am just too used to the look, so yes I like it there. I would love to have a Ulysse Nardin style round cyclops at 6:00, I also like the internal ones on the divemaster 500.

I'm generally against. While a great idea in theory, I really don't like that I can't see the date at any angle other than straight on.

I had the cyclops surgically removed from my SAR-D and I like how much cleaner it looks now:

If wifey would relinquish the Squale 20 Atmos long enough I'd have that one removed too. Shown with an O1GMT mod, with cyclops removed:

Only one I'd leave would be on the acrylic dome of my 1971 Bulova Snorkel Oceanographer, which is mounted on the inside of the dome.

I don't like them and when I see them it makes me think the watch is wearing glasses

Not the kind of look I'm after from a sexy watch
    heebs, Darwin and Spiker1 like this.

love them:
    Attached Images Attached Images

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsik View Post
    I hate it.. I can't understand why the date is important under the sea.. why???
    It's not important underwater, but for a mixed gas diver, it becomes useful topside. Before every dive, it's necessary to analyze the breathing mix contents of the dive tanks. A log has to be filled out, as well as labels attached to the tanks. In that log, the gas percentages are recorded (both ideal, and actual), the analizers initials (better be yours, as you never trust anyone else to analize your breathing mix), the serial number of the tank, the maximum operating depth of that gas mix, and the date of analysis. There's never a calender on the boat, and rarely one hanging on the fill room wall, so having one on your watch becomes a valueable feature.
    skin diver, jamesbee and richnyc like this.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andrewlogan1987 View Post
    i agree with you its an ugly feature and i don't know why its so popular, do watch manufacturers think we have poor eyesight?
    You're 26 yrs old, of course you don't get it. Just wait until you hit 40 (or maybe sooner), and then you'll understand.
    skin diver, Darwin and richnyc like this.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information