To dome or not to dome?

Thread: To dome or not to dome?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sponsor

To dome or not to dome?

On a large watch, with a chunky bezel like a Certina or a PloProf, what type of sapphire do people like?

Flat, to minimize height on an already thick watch, or a slight dome with that smooth, rounded top?

I'm torn, love the feel of a very slight dome, but the aesthetic of the flat ones when the bezel is chunky/tall.

Re: To dome or not to dome?

I prefer flat - easier to read. Slightly domed is ok, but you will need an AR coat. Huge domed = hard to read even with an AR coat.
    Lots of dive watches.

Inactive

there are cases where the curved crystal is sunken so that it's highest point is level or even below that of the bezel... those would be my favorites. i believe that perhaps the Seiko MM is one of such, or maybe it was the Sumo, not sure. however, given the options you have here, I'd prefer it flat. i'm with you as far as liking the curved better, but for the sake of keeping height and center of gravity down, i'll have to stay with flat.

Sponsor

Gracias - that's 2-0 for flat!

Anyone have a Dreadnought? The original description said domed there, but it sure didn't look it...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
    Gracias - that's 2-0 for flat!

Anyone have a Dreadnought? The original description said domed there, but it sure didn't look it...
    If its like my Kenzo Nautilus or OE, then yes its domed. But only very slightly, and it has an inner AR coat.
    Lots of dive watches.

Inactive

depends on how the optics are done for a domed crystal. some watch companies use a domed crystal thats ar coated and has no distortion.
    the korsbek is a ar coated domed sapphire. works pretty well.

zenith uses, I think the best sapphire domed ar crystal with a inverted magnefier,

Inactive

That's a GREAT shot of the Korsbek, no way I would've noticed it having the curved crystal if it weren't for the water reflection - awesome yama!

Sponsor

I second that - brilliant pic. And it looks like maybe the Korsbek's recessed slightly, so maybe the dome doesn't really protrude much?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
    I second that - brilliant pic. And it looks like maybe the Korsbek's recessed slightly, so maybe the dome doesn't really protrude much?
    Its not recessed - its just a thick crystal which a thick chapter ring. The entire crystal has a nice smooth dome. I've seen domed crystals with a more extreme rake to the dome towards the middle, and those do have distortions at an angle.
    Lots of dive watches.

Inactive

the dome sits low in the bezel which I like. most dive watches use flat crystals. some, like the uts has the crystal above the bezel. not sure how I feel about that. it seems its the 1st thing to get chipped. heres 3. uts, crystal above, tag heuer, crystal below,schaumburg is flush.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information