Dove Silfra, Iceland --the crack between two continents...(Pic heavy)

Thread: Dove Silfra, Iceland --the crack between two continents...(Pic heavy)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dove Silfra, Iceland --the crack between two continents...(Pic heavy)

Just got back from Iceland. Part of the trip included a dive at Silfra, in Žingvellir National Park, maybe an hour outside of Reykjavik. (It's prounced "Thingviller"). A bit of background first. The Earth has a bunch of tectonic plates. They move around. When they collide, they often cause earthquakes. When they pull apart, they form canyons. At Žingvellir, the North American and European tectonic plates are pulling apart about 1/2 an inch a year. They've been pulling apart for quite some time now, and have formed a canyon. The canyon has filled with glacial meltwater. 34 degree Farenheight glacial meltwater. Hey, I know: Let's go SCUBA diving in it!

The continental divide -- Europe is on the left, North America is on the right.

I fulliy intended to dive with my Panerai. I even put it on a Waterborne NATO-style strap before I left home. Here I am before putting on the drysuit, and you can see my watch.

Sadly, after squeezing into the drysuit my wrist was too big even for the longest hole on the Waterborne strap. I had to dive without my Panerai for the first time in 8 years. Sigh. That disappointment was short-lived, however, as I was excited to do the dive!

Geared up and ready to go diving!

The continental divide, from 50 feet underwater. Eurpoe on the left, North America on the right. (Pix labeled "arcticsharks.com" were taken by the divemaster. His came out better than mine.)

Here I am.

Me again, looking towards the North American side.

Meanwhile, from above my wife took this shot of me underwater.

The canyon opened up into a lagoon that is fed by a melting glacier. Here you can see where the canyon ends and the lagoon starts.

In the lagoon.

And if the amazing dive wasn't enough, I had this view walking back from the dive site to the van.

It was a dive unique to anywhere else in the world. The cold didn't bother me, as I was in a drysuit. It is very different diving from the usual Caribbean vacation diving (which I love, and in fact will be back in Cayman in a month for a diving holiday). I was actually tired after the dive. It was a fair bit of work, but I'm so glad I did it!

EDIT: Added video. Click here to watch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpxgP4lwtWo

-Erik
    Last edited by EsquireStraps; October 15th, 2009 at 15:44. Reason: Added video

Re: Dove Silfra, Iceland --the crack between two continents...(Pic heavy)

Amazing! Great photos and adventure - congrats!

This is my favorite so far!!! What an amazing dive!!!

Thanks!
    I have a beard. There!

Truly amazing, Erik!!! How deep did you go? Trying to get a reference from the photos.

I'm curious, so what PAM were going to dive with?

I have been to that very spot and it is magical. I have often thought I'd like to go back and dive there.

If memory serves correct, Thingvellir is the home of Iceland's parliament and it is Europe's oldest continuously-running parliament and has met there for many centuries.

Nice report and GREAT photos!

Quote Originally Posted by snoballz View Post
    Truly amazing, Erik!!! How deep did you go? Trying to get a reference from the photos.

I'm curious, so what PAM were going to dive with?
    Thanks! Was gonna dive with my 61, a titanium one with the small seconds hand at 9 o'clock.

Everything was in meters and BAR. Even the tank connection was DIN. Didn't have a computer, just a needle gauge for air and depth. I got to around about 20 meters in depth.
    -Erik
    Last edited by EsquireStraps; October 15th, 2009 at 15:50.

Fantastic shots~looks like a wonderful time, cheers!

Outstanding photos! I love Iceland and can't wait to get back!
    Best,
    David

* ETERNA Heritage Super KonTiki 1973 * Squale 50 atms Matte *
    Borealis Cascais *

Gone, but not forgotten:

Anonimo Millimetri 10th Anniversary * Sinn U1 * Doxa 750t Searambler * Stowa Pro Diver * Stowa Seatime * Anonimo Millemetri * Anonimo Sailor Diver * Halios Bluering * JOA PAM 111H Homage * Bathys Benthic MOP * Glycine Combat 7 Chronograph * Fortis B-42 GMT * Bathys Benthic Ti * Bathys 100 Fathoms * Benarus Moray Dart (42mm)* IWI Marine Diver GMT * Benarus Moray * Magrette Regattare Bronze * Marc & Sons MSD-044
    * A ton of Seikos * And many more...

AAP

Brilliant pics and video, Erik. Thanks for the vicarious adventure.
    Alex

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me." - Elwood P. Dowd (Harvey - 1950)

Erik,

that must have been an absolute amazing trip! Those photos are beautiful, I envy you

As a geologist, please allow me to add some more infos. This seafloor spreading takes place all around the world, on a 80.000 km long spreading zone. Perhaps 70 or 80% of the worlds volcanism takes place on these mid ocean ridges. Iceland lies on it too, but it's combined with a so called "hot spot", another very special type of volcanism. So this is what makes Iceland extra special, you can actually see the ridge on the surface, whereas most of it is subaqaous.

Cheers,
    Sebastian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information