Form vs. Function?
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Form vs. Function?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Form vs. Function?

At the risk of alienating a significant population of this forum, I must start by saying that I am not interested in an automatic watch at this time, but I would like the group's perspective in choosing between two watches (that will remain nameless) strictly upon the merits. I am comfortable with the quality of both brands. Both watches are considered tool watches. They're both 200 meter WR, have sapphire crystal, rotating bezel, screw-down crown, etc.

The question I have is in regards to battery changes. One watch has the Ronda 715 Li movement and has a battery life of up to 10 years. This appeals to me for obvious reasons, not the least of which are convenience and not having to open the case and subsequently pressure test the watch as often. The other watch has a Ronda 505 movement which would only have a batter life of about 45 months. I greatly prefer the look of the Ronda 505 watch, however, I don't know if I like the prospective of changing batteries that often (primarily due to pressure testing).

I've toyed with the idea of replacing seals and pressure testing every-other battery change (since I don't take it in the water that often) or doing the pressure test if/when I plan to take it in the water. I'm not a diver, so the concern would really just be for swimming with the watch.

With that in mind, how much stock to you place in the looks of the watch? If I go with the 10 year battery life, will I regret not buying the watch I think looks better and would probably prefer to wear? Or if I get the watch I want to wear, will I wish I had the 10 year batter life (especially every time I have to change the battery and get it pressure tested)? Is there a way I can have my cake and eat it too? What are your thoughts/recommendations? Form? Or function?

Re: Form vs. Function?

Buy the one you most like the looks of. Any practical considerations aside, if you don't, every time you look at the other one on your wrist you'll wonder if you should've bought the other one. And probably wind up wishing you had. Just my .02, but spoken from experience.
    jkpa, Time In and Fawkesguy like this.

With only a generic description you'll only get a generic answer.

Get what you prefer. I can't tell you what to like. Only you can.

If you're worried about opening up a watch that uses a battery and must be opened to change it out, then don't get a battery powered watch. But as you stated, you don't like automatic watches.

Kind of painting yourself into a generic corner.

Sorry if I sound mean, not trying to, but without more detail, it's pretty much impossible to help you.

Instagram - Dec1968watches
    Find me on Instagram - @dec1968watches

All else being so equal, go with looks, or it'll annoy you every time you look at it, much more than any battery change frequency will.
    Time In and Chirv like this.

The one that makes your heart go pitter patter the most is the one to get. Disregard all other criteria.
    Time In and jkpa like this.

Thanks to all who have responded thus far. I appreciate your recommendations. Any thoughts about the idea of replacing seals and pressure testing every-other battery change?

Been trying to think what I would do. I reckon with the 715 (10 year battery) I'd change the seals and have it pressure tested every batter change and with the 505 I'd do it every other battery change. BUT the guy who does the 505 needs to be someone who will refit the old seal, lube it slightly and not chavel it up putting the back on.
    Time In and Rocat like this.

In a permanent nightmare, not able to wake up from

I'm at the point where I buy quartz watches with lithium batts only (or alternatively mechanicals) I am really sick and tired of those tiny, crappy silver-oxide button cells, it is not only a pain in the ass to change some batts every 1-2 years (depending on the batt type and movement of course) but it is also the fact, that a lithium batt is much more robust to the elements and can handle extreme cold or heat definitely a lot better than silver-oxide are ever capable of. I am also not a fan of the Ronda 505 either, had two and both started giving me problems after a while, in my opinion they are cheaply made junk. The 715li is definitely the better choice, regarding battery lifespan and overall build quality. Btw: what watches are we talking about actually?

cheers
    Time In likes this.
    A.M. should burn in Hell

Thank you for this information. I tried to find reviews for both Ronda 505 and Ronda 715 Li and wasn't very successful, so I assumed the primary difference was the battery. Since it appears there is a quality difference between these two watches, I now lean toward the 715 Li watch. As the discussion has migrated from my original question, I no longer feel like keeping the two watches I'm looking at anonymous. I'm looking at the Traser Survivor Stainless Steel (715 Li) and the Smith & Bradely Sans-13 Evolution (505). I really like the looks of the Smith & Bradley, but if there is a quality difference, I've got to go with quality.

In a permanent nightmare, not able to wake up from

Well, looks like is it not only 1.55 volt vs 3 volt battery, it is also Superluminova vs Tritium. In this case, it is a very easy decision, NOTHING beats a tritium watch for night legibility, besides the S & B seems to use superluminova C1 which is the lowest standard and pretty much outdated. Anyway, in this price range I strongly recommend to have a look at Nite watches, they also also have models with lithium batteries and they even got models with the brighter T-100 tritium tubes. Their quality is excellent, at least on par - or better - than Traser.

https://www.nitewatches.com/gb/

https://www.nitewatches.com/store/gb/hawk-t100s/

cheers
    Last edited by cal..45; May 18th, 2017 at 21:08.
    Time In and brandon\ like this.
    A.M. should burn in Hell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information