H2O MARLIN - DEVELOPMENT THREAD - Page 26
Like Tree2507Likes

Thread: H2O MARLIN - DEVELOPMENT THREAD

Page 26 of 181 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 76 126 ... LastLast

Re: H2O MARLIN - DEVELOPMENT THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by H2O Watch View Post
    Here comes the H2O MARLIN black MOP based on the dial 18 from the KALMAR 2 with the second handset option.

Elegant... Could this be considered a "dress diver"?
    Thai_John and dsvilhena like this.

I'm with Danny on the Orange and white!

Quote Originally Posted by IndustrialAction View Post
    Here are a bunch of other thoughts. First set is using the exact Isofrane color and the second in the orange from earlier renders...

The second orange version looks hot Danny, excellent idea.
    ianacr likes this.

Here comes the H2O MARLIN black MOP based on the dial 18 from the KALMAR 2 with the second handset option.

Not quite there yet, but one day H2O will make a bund! (I hope)

Black dial and it will be closer - a modern interpretation. With vintage or C3 lume, black dial, and orange minute hand it would be perfect.

Name:  69872099.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  160.3 KB
    Last edited by TripleCalendar; October 27th, 2015 at 17:36.

How about C3 Lume?

Name:  548331d1358296289-exit-watch-2-0-blancpain-fifty-fathoms-diver-ref-5015-1130-52-5.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  945.2 KB
    Artie Lange likes this.

Black MOP looks amazing. I'm really looking forward to the final product and to have a watch maker so closely attuned to its clients is astounding.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Danny T and noregrets like this.

Im personally more the guy who wants its consistent and therefore my vote would be the seconds with one length only. My wife would go for the long seconds, but for which option would you go?
    Single length seconds and by a long shot (pardon the pun). Too busy otherwise.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Now we're talking.

I'm late to this party, so forgive my unsolicited (unwelcome?) thoughts below.

Pros
    * Offset crown sets apart from crowd, beautiful "wave" of case around it, great line
    * Excellent choice for vertical brushing on side, again unique
    * Polished chamfer to define edge is glorious
    * Radial brushing on face is always visually interesting (see caveat below), great contrast against sides
    * Flow of case profile, sharply curving lugs
    * Smoothly curved slope of inner bezel (rehaut?), very elegant
    * Great depth to applied markers (see caveat below)
    * Domed crystal that sits proud of bezel
    * Distinctive bezel insert/typeface, circular brushing on bezel (on marked bezels)
    * Very nicely executed signed crown
    * Robust looking bracelet, extension clasp (see caveat below)

Cons
    * Elegance of offset crown, sweeping guard, chamfer, inner bezel let down by overly chunky hands. Not a fan of the originals. But these shown on the MoP render are beautiful.
    * As above, but with original markers - blessedly unique but overly heavy. These batons pictures on the MoP are just what the doctor ordered.
    * Circular date window cool, but I have grown to dislike offset position; better served at 6:00 or not at all (too many date windows). If would like to see the date removed entirely, or given an option.
    * Not a fan of the "blank" bezel insert.
    * HEV is cool. I really like them, I like the way the valves look, I like how this one looks, I like the story and conversation starter behind them... But I also recognize they are an utter waste of time. Pro sat divers, the only divers who would benefit, will not be buying this watch. Don't know what the incremental build cost is on an HEV but IMO that is better applied elsewhere or transferred back to purchase price.
    * I love the radial brush of the case face, but not how it's interrupted by the bracelet link. It is too abrupt going from an angled curve into a vertical wall. Could that be broken up by polishing the outer edges of the endlinks?
    * The bracelet looks rugged as hell, but too busy for me. Lots of small links, and each with a small Allen screw is too much. And all those screws bring it dangerously close to Diesel or Nixon territory (purely subjective opinion).
    * With the above bracelet considerations in mind if there is only going to be this style would it be possible to sell instead with a fitted rubber strap? Choose one or the other (or both). The lugs are long, they slope down sharply, and I expect that a conventional strap will sit too low and leave lots of case exposed. Interested to see opinions on bracelet here but I wouldn't want to pay for it knowing it's off and in the box. And the only way to get a properly fitted rubber strap is custom from manufacturer. Can you render that out for kicks?

On the topic of dial colors I really like the MoP but the white had my eye as well. I'd love to see a "marine" motif with white dial, baton markers and handset like the MoP above, and a blue bezel insert (with markers). And one step further with blue rubber or synthetic integrated strap.

And one final comment on movement... I applaud your consideration of the ETA 2892. The Miyota 9015 is great, but ubiquitous. I have too many 9015-equipped watches as it is and am struggling to avoid adding further. This would be a great way to distinguish the brand. And with a displayback at least some measure of brand engraving on the rotor.

The case is the standout here and immediately caught my attention. Don't know the degree to which other elements are customizable or still in flux. It's most certainly an interesting piece.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Please no C3 lume in such a watch. This "ugly green stuff" - nearly no dial deserves it.
    It may look perfect in some watches with an historic background like the Blancpain or the Squale but often in new designed watches it doesn't really fit in my eyes.
    Look at some of the new Breitlings - nice looking dials with ugly green filled markers. For me BGW9 is the color to be - white during the day - blue at night.

The more renderings Clemens makes, the more problems i have...but i am actually down to 3-4 versions i like more than the rest

C3 Lume: We will use only SWISS Super-LumiNova BGW9 as it looks better during daylight and its only 5% less as bright as C3.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchjrj View Post
    Thank you for your positive comments. Below I will answer your CONS only.

Cons
    * Elegance of offset crown, sweeping guard, chamfer, inner bezel let down by overly chunky hands. Not a fan of the originals. But these shown on the MoP render are beautiful.
    Two handsets are available for the more flat dials, the rehaut dials could be used only with the H2O handset. The chunky H2O hands are our signature handset and used from day one. Its like the RLX handset, which they would never give up. Its a love or hate, but will not be changed.

* As above, but with original markers - blessedly unique but overly heavy. These batons pictures on the MoP are just what the doctor ordered.
    Sorry, didnt get clearly your point.

* Circular date window cool, but I have grown to dislike offset position; better served at 6:00 or not at all (too many date windows). If would like to see the date removed entirely, or given an option.
    We are offering already 6-10 dials for each diameter and more are not possible as I have to respect for every dial a certain MOQ. To many options are increasing my purchasing costs and at the end this will have a negative effect on the sales price too.

* Not a fan of the "blank" bezel insert.
    We are having 6 different inlays you could choose in between.

* HEV is cool. I really like them, I like the way the valves look, I like how this one looks, I like the story and conversation starter behind them... But I also recognize they are an utter waste of time. Pro sat divers, the only divers who would benefit, will not be buying this watch. Don't know what the incremental build cost is on an HEV but IMO that is better applied elsewhere or transferred back to purchase price.
    I believe none of the readers here in the WUS will REALLY require the HEV, but in this case its more a design element to make the side more interesting. Of course Im fully aware of the addition of a unnecessary hole to the case. Unfortunately removing the HEV would not result into a lower price.

* I love the radial brush of the case face, but not how it's interrupted by the bracelet link. It is too abrupt going from an angled curve into a vertical wall. Could that be broken up by polishing the outer edges of the endlinks?
    The H2O MARLIN prototype case has a circular brushing, which will be changed for the final version. The final version will have a straight brushing from 12:00 to 06:00 same as the bracelet! It will look much more consisten and as a one piece with the straight brushing for the case, end link and bracelet.

* The bracelet looks rugged as hell, but too busy for me. Lots of small links, and each with a small Allen screw is too much. And all those screws bring it dangerously close to Diesel or Nixon territory (purely subjective opinion).
    This is a matter of taste and love or hate. Sorry, but this wont be changed and due to the fully independent screwed links its one of the most comfortable bracelets out there. The 40mm version will have slotted screw heads and lower height compared to the bracelet on the 44mm version.

* With the above bracelet considerations in mind if there is only going to be this style would it be possible to sell instead with a fitted rubber strap? Choose one or the other (or both). The lugs are long, they slope down sharply, and I expect that a conventional strap will sit too low and leave lots of case exposed. Interested to see opinions on bracelet here but I wouldn't want to pay for it knowing it's off and in the box. And the only way to get a properly fitted rubber strap is custom from manufacturer. Can you render that out for kicks?
    No confirmation: I may offer a fitting black rubber strap as incentive for the participation on our pre-order. The preparation of render will take a lot of additional time as its quite complicated to construct.

On the topic of dial colors I really like the MoP but the white had my eye as well. I'd love to see a "marine" motif with white dial, baton markers and handset like the MoP above, and a blue bezel insert (with markers). And one step further with blue rubber or synthetic integrated strap.

And one final comment on movement... I applaud your consideration of the ETA 2892. The Miyota 9015 is great, but ubiquitous. I have too many 9015-equipped watches as it is and am struggling to avoid adding further. This would be a great way to distinguish the brand. And with a displayback at least some measure of brand engraving on the rotor.
    No confirmation: We are currently working on a custom skeleton rotor design which MIGHT become a part of the pre-order incentive. As soon as we have finalized the design we will have to check if its within our budget.

The case is the standout here and immediately caught my attention. Don't know the degree to which other elements are customizable or still in flux. It's most certainly an interesting piece.

Page 26 of 181 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 76 126 ... LastLast

Gear in this thread

Thread Information