H2O MARLIN - DEVELOPMENT THREAD - Page 28
Like Tree2507Likes

Thread: H2O MARLIN - DEVELOPMENT THREAD

Page 28 of 181 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Re: H2O MARLIN - DEVELOPMENT THREAD

"Cons" too strong of a header, couldn't think of anything better though. ;) Thanks for your responses. This is one of the great things about the boutique watch industry and their direct interaction with their customers. A few additional points as follow up...

1) Looking back I see the challenge with the handsets vs. the rehaut, presumably the length of the former doesn't jive with the extension of the latter. Becomes a question of which ticks the button more, the rehaut (which is beautiful) or the preferred handset. First world problems.

2) Second point definitely not clear - looks like I was on the sauce at the time. The original (signature it seems) markers seem a bit bulky for my tastes, but this is what customization is for with the ability to select the batons as an alternative (but not the rehaut). I think the simpler batons allow more attention to be focused on that fantastic case.

3) I appreciate the challenge of a small operation balancing costs and economies of scale. So far as the date window is concerned kudos that you have correctly chosen dark or light date dials accordingly.

4) I have no objections to the HEV, as I stated I think they're cool despite being superfluous. Given there are no relevant cost considerations I'm all for having it in there.

5) Consistent brushing (top to bottom) on the face will work much better with the bracelet. Although, damn, that radial looks cool that conflict notwithstanding.

6) As for the rubber strap option, another consideration instead of a full-on custom fitted model could be one that clips into the bracelet endlinks. Kind of like with the Tudor Pelagos. You get the integration without the fuss of a fully molded rubber. Don't know if it's six of one, half dozen of the other for production and manufacturing.

7) Not committed yet to a purchase, but as a buyer/collector I would definitely be swayed by the fitted rubber strap and/or skeletonized custom rotor as a pre-order incentive. Each would definitely set this watch apart.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by H2O Watch View Post
    Thank you for your positive comments. Below I will answer your CONS only.

Cons
    * Elegance of offset crown, sweeping guard, chamfer, inner bezel let down by overly chunky hands. Not a fan of the originals. But these shown on the MoP render are beautiful.
    Two handsets are available for the more flat dials, the rehaut dials could be used only with the H2O handset. The chunky H2O hands are our signature handset and used from day one. Its like the RLX handset, which they would never give up. Its a love or hate, but will not be changed.

* As above, but with original markers - blessedly unique but overly heavy. These batons pictures on the MoP are just what the doctor ordered.
    Sorry, didnt get clearly your point.

* Circular date window cool, but I have grown to dislike offset position; better served at 6:00 or not at all (too many date windows). If would like to see the date removed entirely, or given an option.
    We are offering already 6-10 dials for each diameter and more are not possible as I have to respect for every dial a certain MOQ. To many options are increasing my purchasing costs and at the end this will have a negative effect on the sales price too.

* Not a fan of the "blank" bezel insert.
    We are having 6 different inlays you could choose in between.

* HEV is cool. I really like them, I like the way the valves look, I like how this one looks, I like the story and conversation starter behind them... But I also recognize they are an utter waste of time. Pro sat divers, the only divers who would benefit, will not be buying this watch. Don't know what the incremental build cost is on an HEV but IMO that is better applied elsewhere or transferred back to purchase price.
    I believe none of the readers here in the WUS will REALLY require the HEV, but in this case its more a design element to make the side more interesting. Of course Im fully aware of the addition of a unnecessary hole to the case. Unfortunately removing the HEV would not result into a lower price.

* I love the radial brush of the case face, but not how it's interrupted by the bracelet link. It is too abrupt going from an angled curve into a vertical wall. Could that be broken up by polishing the outer edges of the endlinks?
    The H2O MARLIN prototype case has a circular brushing, which will be changed for the final version. The final version will have a straight brushing from 12:00 to 06:00 same as the bracelet! It will look much more consisten and as a one piece with the straight brushing for the case, end link and bracelet.

* The bracelet looks rugged as hell, but too busy for me. Lots of small links, and each with a small Allen screw is too much. And all those screws bring it dangerously close to Diesel or Nixon territory (purely subjective opinion).
    This is a matter of taste and love or hate. Sorry, but this wont be changed and due to the fully independent screwed links its one of the most comfortable bracelets out there. The 40mm version will have slotted screw heads and lower height compared to the bracelet on the 44mm version.

* With the above bracelet considerations in mind if there is only going to be this style would it be possible to sell instead with a fitted rubber strap? Choose one or the other (or both). The lugs are long, they slope down sharply, and I expect that a conventional strap will sit too low and leave lots of case exposed. Interested to see opinions on bracelet here but I wouldn't want to pay for it knowing it's off and in the box. And the only way to get a properly fitted rubber strap is custom from manufacturer. Can you render that out for kicks?
    No confirmation: I may offer a fitting black rubber strap as incentive for the participation on our pre-order. The preparation of render will take a lot of additional time as its quite complicated to construct.

On the topic of dial colors I really like the MoP but the white had my eye as well. I'd love to see a "marine" motif with white dial, baton markers and handset like the MoP above, and a blue bezel insert (with markers). And one step further with blue rubber or synthetic integrated strap.

And one final comment on movement... I applaud your consideration of the ETA 2892. The Miyota 9015 is great, but ubiquitous. I have too many 9015-equipped watches as it is and am struggling to avoid adding further. This would be a great way to distinguish the brand. And with a displayback at least some measure of brand engraving on the rotor.
    No confirmation: We are currently working on a custom skeleton rotor design which MIGHT become a part of the pre-order incentive. As soon as we have finalized the design we will have to check if its within our budget.

The case is the standout here and immediately caught my attention. Don't know the degree to which other elements are customizable or still in flux. It's most certainly an interesting piece.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleCalendar View Post
    Not quite there yet, but one day H2O will make a bund! (I hope)

Black dial and it will be closer - a modern interpretation. With vintage or C3 lume, black dial, and orange minute hand it would be perfect.

Attachment 5807610
    Clemens doesn't like C3. A few of his watches would be perfect with this lume
    Last edited by dsvilhena; October 28th, 2015 at 04:37.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchjrj View Post
    6) As for the rubber strap option, another consideration instead of a full-on custom fitted model could be one that clips into the bracelet endlinks. Kind of like with the Tudor Pelagos. You get the integration without the fuss of a fully molded rubber. Don't know if it's six of one, half dozen of the other for production and manufacturing.
    I like this idea a lot!

Due to the fact i have a 22,5cm wrist most of the straps to buy are to short. So when i get a caseintegrated rubber strap version in the preorder i think it would be too short for me.

Other than the Pelagos case-rubber integration (which has a modiefied strap end) i use some custom made endlicks on my Explorer II.

It fills perfect the space between the case and the strap, it is fixed with the strap and its springbar on the one side on the other side it is fixed thru the perfect shape against the case.
    This allows me to use all straps (leather, canvas, rubber) in the right length for me in combination with this custom part.

Here a picture of the Explorer combined with an orange rubber and the endlinks
    Name:  rlxora12.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  127.9 KB
    DEMO111 and mitchjrj like this.

Clemens, don't take this the wrong way, but I so don't like you at the moment.😀
    Why are you teasing me this way?
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O Watch View Post
    Here comes the H2O MARLIN black MOP based on the dial 18 from the KALMAR 2 with the second handset option.

私はクソ愛の腕時計

Yes I agree too, this last one from Clemens with black Mother of Pearl, dial 18, and sterile / minimalist black bezel is gorgeous!!!

I vote for it :)
    H2O Watch, dsvilhena and noregrets like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grama73 View Post
    I like this idea a lot!

Due to the fact i have a 22,5cm wrist most of the straps to buy are to short. So when i get a caseintegrated rubber strap version in the preorder i think it would be too short for me.

Other than the Pelagos case-rubber integration (which has a modiefied strap end) i use some custom made endlicks on my Explorer II.

It fills perfect the space between the case and the strap, it is fixed with the strap and its springbar on the one side on the other side it is fixed thru the perfect shape against the case.
    This allows me to use all straps (leather, canvas, rubber) in the right length for me in combination with this custom part.

Here a picture of the Explorer combined with an orange rubber and the endlinks
    Name:  rlxora12.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  127.9 KB
    I believe this would be a great idea. This end link integrator would be great as an H2O accessory to be offered with a watch or as an optional accessory purcase. It is an excellent solution to integrate a rubber or leather strap cleanly with a watch head. I don't know of any other microbrand that currently offers this.
    Dive watch fanatic since 1980
    Hidden Content

since it has too much curved lugs which makes hard to fit 3rd party straps, what about exclusive rubber strap like sinn u1's and tourby's as an optional part?? (images were borrowed from google)
    Name:  IMAG2111.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  120.9 KBName:  IMG_2250paracordSDR.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  129.3 KBName:  011-1.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  59.9 KB
    Last edited by yorksj; October 28th, 2015 at 15:27.

Why all this talk of rubber straps ? The superbly engineered bracelet is one of the best features !! We're talking UTS quality here for half the price

I like the idea of rubber strap and a bracelet. I think the watch would look great on both. There is also a potential cost savings if there was an option to order with just the strap and not the bracelet. I like the idea of having both myself, however I fear the day of the reality check is coming were all my dreams about this watch crash into a price. I am one of those hoping that this is a more affordable watch, hence my votes for the 9015 and perhaps a rubber option.
    Either way I think I will be sore pressed to abandon better judgement...
    Omega SMP 2264.50 - Magrette Regatarre 2011 ETA LE version - Tissot PR50 titanium- Timex Ironman - Brathwait Classic Slim SS ​ -Borealis Estoril 300- Steinhart OT500 ETA-Ventus Mori M4

a lot of people do not want to carry 250gr on a wrist... and for those like me for istance that are very active a rubber strap most of the time is the way to go.
    Not sure about the integrated rubber strap, this solution was offered with the pelagos and still most owner were wearing their watch on a isofrane or bracelet
    Being the lug curved and quit long a fitted strap (u1 style) imho is the better solution
    yorksj and thong07 like this.

Page 28 of 181 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Gear in this thread

Thread Information