WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

H2O MARLIN - DEVELOPMENT THREAD

206K views 2K replies 191 participants last post by  boatswain 
#1 ·
Many of you saw the first images of the coming H2O MARLIN and I´m getting asked permanently for more info and images. I would like to share with you the design and development of our new 2016 flagship model and maybe this new design also appeals to you. :)

I´m wearing the H2O MARLIN now since several months and from my HELBERG/H2O watches this watch wears most comfortable. The 44mm diameter version is perfectly for my 6.7" wrist / 17cm, but I will also offer the exactly same design for the first time as 40mm version. My sun is eagerly awaiting the release of this watch and I feel this could be a great partner watch too.
All H2O MARLIN will get a sapphire display case back, which is not yet included into my prototype watch. I´m planning to use the ETA 2892 movement or the Miyota 9015. This movement point will be fixed until the pre-order starts.

Enough all the words, I´m sure you want to see photos! I will update this thread regularly in this first post with new images as soon as they become available.

See less See more
#35 · (Edited)
If the kalmar rehaut dial fits in the 44mm then that means all kalmar dials (colours) will work :)

Prelim choices for me will be white dial for the 40mm (so wifey can also wear it) and blue dial for the 44mm. Now for the bezel options!! I will want one of each please :)

From the other Marlin thread my eyes are focussed on the sapphire sterile bezel :)

#46 ·
Ah yeah A fierce piece!
A H20 for the other guys.
Subscribed.

Reactions: Riddim Driven
#48 ·
Can you do a dial with a pop of color? I've been wanting a cyan/turquoise dial. I think the shield dial would look awesome with it. If there were a white lumed bezel option with the GMT movement (I know, not one of the options but a man can dream) and a cyan shield dial with an orange GMT hand, it would be pretty darn epic. Or, maybe a cyan bezel and white shield dial with cyan lume. Off the hook. White Marlin baby!

#55 ·
I agree about the Miyota 9015.
There is nothing bad to say about this movement. I will not use the Seiko, because I would like to have the second hand moving as smooth as possible and a high beat mvmt will surely have its advantages here. I have some a good and stable channel for ETA movement supply and with the ETA 2892 you could get one of the rare opportunities to get this movement from a small micro brand. In future the sourcing of this movement will become more and more difficult. But of course the purchasing costs for the ETA 2892 are much higher compared to the 9015, which will result in higher sales price.

The dimensions will be made public at a later stage. :) There should be something new we could talk about when the pre-order starts.

Some time ago I made renderings with the 6 inlays and different dials I´m planning. This SECTION is not including the dial 18 design from the KALMAR 2 and maybe other dial designs I will come up with and is just a part of the possibilities. To reduce my workload in future free combinations out of the visual configurator might be only offered during the pre-order and later on only pre-configured models might be available.

#57 ·
Selitta/Soprod are not any better (but most probably worse) or cheaper compared to the ETA 2824. Not to speak about the SW300 as ETA 2892 clone. I prefer to have the original in my watches. :)

Offering both movements would double the dial order, which is already huge, due to different dial feet position.

#62 · (Edited)
Selitta/Soprod are not any better (but most probably worse) or cheaper compared to the ETA 2824. Not to speak about the SW300 as ETA 2892 clone. I prefer to have the original in my watches. :)

Offering both movements would double the dial order, which is already huge, due to different dial feet position.
Lot's of big manufacturers have shifted towards Sellita/Soprod as well so I am sure it's still pretty reliable. As far as originality goes..well...that's preference, and in this case you make the call :).

#59 ·
For me Miyota or Eta, it all depends on how it's built into the watch.
How the crown screws down and how the crown feels when setting the time.

I always go back to my Raven, the 9015 winds so smooth and keeps time so well
that it functions better than some of my ETA's. So for me, in the end it comes down to
cost. I enjoy the watch just as much with and ETA or Miyota. That's my 2 cents :)
-
Though the only major argument made on aesthetics could be the display case back.
Which movement is the visually more pleasing to your eyes?

#63 ·
In practice the Soprod and Selitta mvmt are definately not as reliable as the ETA. My watchmaker are assembling also for one of the biggest watch manufacturer in Germany, who are selling more than 140.000 watches per year, and from their experience the ETA mvmt are unreached in performance and more important reliability. When you have a 10% failure rate for some movements you will think twice which mvmt you want to trust. So for me ETA mvmt are the first choice.

#700 ·
...My watchmaker are assembling also for one of the biggest watch manufacturer in Germany, who are selling more than 140.000 watches per year, and from their experience the ETA mvmt are unreached in performance and more important reliability...
Hmmm... out of the few German origin watch companies that makes affordable watches to my little knowledge, one have their watches assembled in Switzerland, another in Germany. @ 140k... that rings a bell...

#65 ·
I think Eta in H2O Watches is a very good choice and combination - no experiments in the movement reliability.

The look of the Marlin is great and the sapphire inlay with orange color till 20 Minutes is my favorit - colorchange at the 4:00 crown position is a great solution - I like it very much!

#68 ·
The 44m Marlin looks very nice! I have a flat 7" wrist and can see that 40mm will be great for me. I assume the case width will exceed 40mm when one includes the integrated part of the case which is crown guard. Does the 44mm have a 24mm lug width? For me personally the 44mm would wear too big. No worries. That's why there's a 40mm. :)

RD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.