Help Me Decide Which Iconic Diver - Page 7
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Help Me Decide Which Iconic Diver

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 74
  1. #61
    Member mrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Western World
    Posts
    584

    Re: Help Me Decide Which Iconic Diver

    Quote Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
    Assume you know anything about Seiko dive watches' history and its influence, this comment shows a typical level of brand snob.
    Spoken as a true Seiko brand snob! You got so worked up, you forgot how to construct a proper English sentence. You guys are too easy.

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,034

    Re: Help Me Decide Which Iconic Diver

    I love all three, but only own the MM300. SMP 2254 is on my radar (my cousin has one on the Speedy-style bracelet so we've swapped a couple of times. IMNHO MM300 yields nothing to the SMP) - I love this watch but have yet to take the plunge because I suspect that I'd end up STILL lusting after a SM 300 with date. Might have one of these built using NOS parts or save hard and buy original. The AD is a beautiful watch, but I like the look of the AD300 better (suspect, though, that it would be too big on my 7.5" wrist). Bottom-line: OP, buy whatever watch appeals to you most and you can't go wrong. This watch collecting lark is an addiction and I guarantee you that you will be looking for something else after a few weeks or months of owning whichever of these watches you wind up buying. It's one of the realities of collecting!

  3. #63
    Member skin diver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Posts
    905

    Re: Help Me Decide Which Iconic Diver

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleTim View Post
    ?.....
    I don't understand the relevance.

    I don't own either watch. If I had $2000, I would get the MM. Why? Seiko is a proven company. The movement is special and the watch have been in production for a lenght of time vs. 2 years.

    1000 meters and helium valve are advertisement catch phrases.

    Best part of AD is the ceramic bezel.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk 2
    Not nitpicking Little Tim, but you said you never owned either watch but you would suggest the MM vs the AD? I realize your point about Seiko's history but later saying the "ceramic bezel insert is the best part of the AD" is unfounded. It's a nice part sure, but not nearly the best of the watch. I think owners here who have experience with both models are trying to give an experienced perspective to the OP as to which is the better choice in their opinion. If you ever get a chance to pick up an Aquadive, I think your opinion would change significantly.

    The whole "thousand meter/helium release valve/not necessary argument" is also getting a bit tired… Yes we all know that we're not going to 1000m or using the valve but that's not the reason why like those features on our dive watches. We as divers like tool watches that have attributes that extreme divers need and use. I don't think it's marketing so much as, admittedly, over engineering an instrument that is fun and exciting. Saying the word "need" in this hobby relating to dive watches is a difficult phrase to get credibly away with… We don't "need" any of these extremes but they're fun attributes to have on our watches (for many of us).

    Anyway… Just having fun here Little Tim.. not picking on you at all brother... I just had to chime in.
    powboyz likes this.

  4. #64
    Member LittleTim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    352

    Re: Help Me Decide Which Iconic Diver

    Quote Originally Posted by skin diver View Post
    Not nitpicking Little Tim, but you said you never owned either watch but you would suggest the MM vs the AD? I realize your point about Seiko's history but later saying the "ceramic bezel insert is the best part of the AD" is unfounded. It's a nice part sure, but not nearly the best of the watch. I think owners here who have experience with both models are trying to give an experienced perspective to the OP as to which is the better choice in their opinion. If you ever get a chance to pick up an Aquadive, I think your opinion would change significantly.

    The whole "thousand meter/helium release valve/not necessary argument" is also getting a bit tired… Yes we all know that we're not going to 1000m or using the valve but that's not the reason why like those features on our dive watches. We as divers like tool watches that have attributes that extreme divers need and use. I don't think it's marketing so much as, admittedly, over engineering an instrument that is fun and exciting. Saying the word "need" in this hobby relating to dive watches is a difficult phrase to get credibly away with… We don't "need" any of these extremes but they're fun attributes to have on our watches (for many of us).

    Anyway… Just having fun here Little Tim.. not picking on you at all brother... I just had to chime in.
    You may be correct. It is important to always keep an open mind.
    As you can see, I have a very low post count. I don't normally post because I like to sit in the back of the classroom and wait to see the outcome. I posted because I perceive a unwarranted attack on a member from the Aquadive forum moderator.
    You are correct. I have never handle any Aquadive. Unless I make it to a GTG and a member there has one, odds are I will never handle one. The same can not be said of the MM. I have seen and handle the MM. I did not need to go to a GTG to do so.
    Over engineer is a nice warm fuzzy feeling. In my world, over engineers are the bane of my existances. They drive up the cost and add complexity to a design because they don't know what they are doing.
    So automatic HEV are a point of failure? Maybe so maybe not. From one casual diver (that can count the number of dives on hands and foot not feet) point of view: yes.
    Now, over engineered watches??? I don't know. I am the type of member that finds posts about the fear of swimming and taking shower with dive watch humorous. So lets agree that 1000 meters and HEV are cool features for some. For me not so much. It is not features I want regardless of watch brand. 1000 meters will not bedazzle me.
    So for me, the best feature of the AD is still the ceramic bezel. It is the only feature that the AD has that I wish the MM had.

    So nitpick. It is all good as long as it with a smile :) So here to all the members :thumbup:
    hiro1963, lexvil, powboyz and 2 others like this.
    Little Tim

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    291

    Re: Help Me Decide Which Iconic Diver

    Neither is an iconic watch, either by definition or in this case what you seem to mean.
    However, of the two being debated, it wouldn't be the seiko. It's a seiko. Kia make a $50k car. I would pick so many others at that range. IMO, of course.

  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    43* North
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: Help Me Decide Which Iconic Diver

    Quote Originally Posted by robert67 View Post
    Neither is an iconic watch, either by definition or in this case what you seem to mean. However, of the two being debated, it wouldn't be the seiko. It's a seiko. Kia make a $50k car. I would pick so many others at that range. IMO, of course.
    I have to assume this statement was made out of ignorance. I'm not a Seiko brand snob nor a fan-boy, but I give credit where credit is due. Seiko is most definitely one of the premier watch brands on the planet and as a company they have contributed extensively to the industry. A recent post on A Blog to Watch (found here: Top 10 Technically Important Mechanical Wrist Watches | A BLOG TO WATCH) lists a Seiko Spring Drive dive watch as one of the top 10 most technically important wrist watches. If the purpose of the watch is for people look at you and envy you, then yes, the Seiko MM300 (and the AD for that matter) are probably not good choices. The general public in the US see Seiko as an "affordable" brand and I doubt anyone knows (beyond the WIS community) who AD is. Of the two watches being decided upon by the OP, I'd suggest the MM300. I prefer that watch simply because it has none of the things we are "supposed" to demand in a dive watch (ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal, HRV, 5 link bracelet, short / wrist-hugging bracelet links, trip-lock crown, etc) and still manages to be one of the most highly regarded and respected dive watches we hear about across all brands.
    Last edited by Ryeguy; July 8th, 2013 at 16:48.

  7. #67
    Aquadive & Dive Watch Forum Moderator arutlosjr11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    77469
    Posts
    5,682

    Help Me Decide Which Iconic Diver

    OP. Here are Two other A/D vs. Seiko vs. xxx brand watch threads in the past. Lots of useful info on these too.

    Best of luck!

    Aquadive BS100, Seiko SBDX001 or Stowa Prodiver + Halios Laguna?

    Diver Death Match: 3 will enter. 2 will leave.


    Sent from my iPhone
    "My GREATEST FEAR is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them."

    Ariel S. -


  8. #68
    Member mngambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,778

    Re: Help Me Decide Which Iconic Diver

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryeguy View Post
    I have to assume this statement was made out of ignorance. I'm not a Seiko brand snob nor a fan-boy, but I give credit where credit is due. Seiko is most definitely one of the premier watch brands on the planet and as a company they have contributed extensively to the industry. A recent post on A Blog to Watch (found here: Top 10 Technically Important Mechanical Wrist Watches | A BLOG TO WATCH) lists a Seiko Spring Drive dive watch as one of the top 10 most technically important wrist watches. If the purpose of the watch is for people look at you and envy you, then yes, the Seiko MM300 (and the AD for that matter) are probably not good choices. The general public in the US see Seiko as an "affordable" brand and I doubt anyone knows (beyond the WIS community) who AD is. Of the two watches being decided upon by the OP, I'd suggest the MM300. I prefer that watch simply because it has none of the things we are "supposed" to demand in a dive watch (ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal, HRV, 5 link bracelet, short / wrist-hugging bracelet links, trip-lock crown, etc) and still manages to be one of the most highly regarded and respected dive watches we hear about across all brands.

    so with that said why don't you suggest a monster or 007...why spend $2500 if you want a minimalistic dive watch that can be had for $150

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    871

    Re: Help Me Decide Which Iconic Diver

    Quote Originally Posted by mngambler View Post
    so with that said why don't you suggest a monster or 007...why spend $2500 if you want a minimalistic dive watch that can be had for $150
    I can't answer for Ryeguy here, but having read the opening post by the OP, he asks for a black faced classic diver with a black bezel (which the Seiko Monster is not), but also asks for our opinion between a MM300 and the Aquadive (which both, the Seiko SKX007 and the Seiko Monster are not). He was simply keeping it to the topic, I guess...
    jason_recliner likes this.


  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,650

    Re: Help Me Decide Which Iconic Diver

    I'd buy the MM300 because I did.

    Then I'd buy a black isofrane, and a spare set of spring bars.

    Then I'd swap it over and back between bracelet and rubber and wear it foreverandeverandeverandeverandeverandeverandevera ndeverandeverandeverandeverandeverandeverandeveran deverandeverandeverandeverandever.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •