WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Helson watches or the wanabe divers

131K views 111 replies 53 participants last post by  OnTimeGabe 
#1 · (Edited)
Helson or the wanabe diver ...

Let me tell you the story I have experienced with Helson watches

I may introduce myself breifly : I am a watch collector since more than 20 years and I focus my collection on dive watches : this passion for dive watches is linked to my sport activityI am a diver since 1973today PADI Assistant InstructorCMAS *** and IANTD technical diver rEvo rebreather diver

When helson watches first introduced their re-edition of the Omega Seamaster 1000I jumped on the occasion to have an historic look diver without the fear of diving with itso I ordered the Sharkmasterone of my diving buddiesJean-Marc also ordered that watch... and the nightmare began...

After a dive at 40 meters the watch was completly flooded ! quiet a disapointment for a piece supposed to be 1000 meters waterproof ... Peter Helson replaced the watch with anotherbut not in the configuration I had ordered ! (lefty and black date instead of standard with white date)as I was a little bit pissed off sending back to Hong Kong the watchI decided to keep it like this ... but not for a long time

Jean-Marc faced exactly the same problem with a dive at 17 meters : the watch was flooded and he asked for a replacementon his side the watch was the same model as he had ordered

For my first dive at 20 meters with the new Sharkmasterthe watch was filled with condensation : game over !

This time I asked Peter Helson a full money refunJean-Marc asked for a replacement ... and flooded it again !!!! as he really wanted the watch he asked for a replacement : at last his third Sharkmaster was waterproof !!

Sharkmaster : 5 watches (2 on my side3 on Jean-Marc's side) only 1 really waterproof

You should think the story finally had a happy ending ... but call me madI thought this was only bad luck and Peter Helson seemed really sorry for thoses bad storiesso when the Skindiver was issuedmy wife who is also a diver liked so much the design that I ordered again from Peter Helsonand guess what ... the watch was full of condensation at the fisrt dive ! hopefully my wife discovered the condensation only at 11 meters so she aborted the dive and got back to surface !

Peter Helson this time did not seem to believe my storyand even did not propose to replace the watch immediatly ... after several e-mail exchanges he admitted that there was a potential problemtoo late for meso I decided to open the watch and have a lookFirst what stroke my mindwas a dry o ringand 2 little metal particles inside the casethat is what you can probably expect from a watch made in hong kong ?

The design is a complete nonsense : 3 bridges are bent from an external ring to avoid movement movesbut thoses bridges bent manually prevent the caseback to fully close ! : the watch is waterproof 1 to 3 metersafter it leaks !I have tested the watch is a «wet» tester where you can perfectly see the bubbles coming out from the caseback

As Peter Helson did not propose me any real solutions (send the watch back so the factory «can have a look»)I decided to fix the watch by myself : I bent the bridges down so they do not touch the caseback when it is screwed backand guess what .... I solved the problemI have tested the watch at 5 ATM and finally it passed the testSo if you intend to dive with your Helsonbe warned that you might be obliged to finish the job by yourself

Peter Helson never proposed me any arrangement for this problemso I decided to tell the story over different watch forums : when you buy from Helsonyou buy a wanade diverfar from what you can expect of a real dive watch : a Seiko diver 3 times cheaper does the job !

I personnally always dive with my watchesnot as a real dive tool but for pleasureand I have never been faced to such a failure ratio with any manufacturers !

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting post. What a shame that a dive watch cannot be dived! Your investigation of the inside of the watch certainly seemed to determine the flooding problems - if this is the case with Helson watches, buyer beware indeed!

Who else out there has tested the WR of these Helsons?

Wannabe diver it is indeed!

#3 · (Edited)
Wow, I'm really surprised and upset about the lack of quality control. I have 2 Shark divers and even though I don't dive deep, my watches were waterproof. Peter has been great with me as far as customer service and I hope he takes this seriously and has a long talk with his Hong Kong suppliers. This is not the type of rep he wants to have and I'm sure he's smart enough to get on this and fix things quickly.

#4 ·
Don't believe everything you read on the web, I find it odd that one small batch of divers in one part of the world have consistent problems with one brand, I have never had this problem and I have never heard of this from anyone else, it can be true and it can be a hit piece.

I do dive by the way and have takes a Sharkmaster to 100+ feet several times, I haven't taken the Skindiver down yet but have to fear of doing it ASAP.
Wow, I'm really surprised and upset about the lack of quality control. I have 2 Shark divers and even though I don't dive, I assumed the watches were waterproof. Peter has been great with me as far as customer service and I hope he takes this seriously and has a long talk with his Hong Kong suppliers. This is not the type of rep he wants to have and I'm sure he's smart enough to get on this and fix things quickly.

#6 · (Edited)
OMG!
This definitely is a TORNADO!
How is your exp. with other diver? (Ex: Deep blue, Benarus, Zenton, Zixen, and etc...These cases seems to MIC, too)

I already inform Peter about this thread...I think he should be introduced and has the right to speak here...
From michel's inside post of skindiver... the bending of the bridge is really weired...

#16 ·
OMG!
This definitely is a TORNADO!
How is your exp. with other diver? (Ex: Deep blue, Benarus, Zenton, Zixen, and etc...These cases seems to MIC, too)

I already inform Peter about this thread...I think he should be introduced and has the right to speak here...
From michel's inside post of skindiver... the bending of the bridge is really weired...
My experience with other dive watches .... numerous and without any problems
from Rolex to Seiko , from Sinn to Omega even with vintages , I really dive with my watches and never been faced to such a failure ratio
my only experience of flooded dive watches where with a Swatch Scuba (a real gadget flooded at 20 meters) and with a Citizen , but nothing due to the watch itself : the watchmaker who change the battery have piched the case O ring

#7 ·
Not sure what to say. I love my Skindiver and had great customer service from Peter. I don't dive and don't plan on ever doing so. I guess I do swim once in a while however. I really don't want to open up my Skindiver. Should be fine for swimming but would I risk it? I have swam without problems with my PRS 50B. Going to Barbados next month. Which watch to take? Hmm....

Dan

#8 ·
Not sure what to say. I love my Skindiver and had great customer service from Peter. I don't dive and don't plan on ever doing so. I guess I do swim once in a while however. I really don't want to open up my Skindiver. Should be fine for swimming but would I risk it? I have swam without problems with my PRS 50B. Going to Barbados next month. Which watch to take? Hmm....

Dan
I have had mine underwater a few times but no deeper than 10-15 ft with no problems at all. I think the majority of Peter's watches are fine and you can swim without worrying. If you're worried, look around your town for a watch shop that can pressure test it.

#9 ·
this to me goes to show that helson watches are crap and full of bs ..it claims to be used for diving to a depth of 1000m..but cant survive a meager 17m..what a load of bs!!you shud try maybe seiko's OM.at least its from a bigger,more reputable company

#34 ·
That's kind of an unfair statement. I'm sure Peter tests his watches, however, flukes and bad lots do happen in manufacturing...PERIOD. It happens. I have a skindiver that should arrive today and I would trust it AND Peter to do what they are supposed to do. BUT the comment " helson watches are crap and full of bs" is deformation of character and his product, it is not a fair judgement...and is kinda irresponsible in a public forum.

Kg

#10 ·
Something does not add up here.

I have the Sharkmaster and while I have not dove to any significant depth, I have swam with it and never any issue. However ... since I have not gone to depth, I can't speak to the 1000m depth rating.

I can however speak to the customer service .... and I'd struggle to better understand why my experience has been so much different.

First, my clasp failed .... I sent a quick note to Peter, no questions asked ... a new one was shipped by the end of the day and in short order was back in business.

Next ..... through operator error .... I was quick trotting through the airport parking lot, running a bit late and putting my watch on as I walked .... dropped it.

Smack dab onto the cement. Landed on the edge of the bezel. Despite the impact and the bezel truly being smashed ..... not a single other issue. Watch still ran great. Looked like hell. So I send another note and ask if I can buy a bezel and insert. Peter responds immediately and gives me a fair price. I procrastinate .... wait a month and finally ask about the process for payment .... another answer by end of day. I send the payment.

Now a days go buy and stretches into a week .... no Bezel .... ( I do understand that Honk Kong to Denver is a distance but had been spoiled by previous experience).

So a quick note to Peter ..... he apologizes, says there was a mix up in the hand off of the order (remember this is a non standard purchase.... as I am buying a bezel and insert due to my own goof up) ..... and he offers to give me a rubber strap to make up for it.

Now compare that to my other recent overseas purchase .... a high end shotgun case from England (no offense lads) ..... and it takes a month to get here (it was an off the shelf model) .... when it gets here, it is in crap condition. Took another 3 weeks to resolve the issue (while they made good .... they were none so easy to contact nor too fast).

I am not disparaging the original poster .... but our experiences are quite different in regards to the customer service we have received from Helson.

An added note .... despite being dropped and hitting hard enough to destroy the bezel ..... the only "work" done post drop was to replace the bezel ...... still no leaks while swimming.

Henry

#12 ·
I have keep track of all the e-mails exchanged with Mr Helson as a proof of what I am saying
I am not the only customer who experienced a flood during diving has Mr Helson confess to me in one of his e-mail : one Sharkmaster have been flooded by a German customer also

of course many of the customers do not dive with their watches so I fully understand that it is a minority of users which will be faced with such problems ... but is this a DIVE watch after all ? or a wanabe diver ?

I curently dive to depth up to 200 feets and more (60 meters) and I am expecting my watches to be capable of handeling such depth, specially when they are "certified" to by far greater depth

anyone thinking that I flood the watches by mistake should think just a minute ... this is a real piss off ! obliging me to send watches back to manufacturer and spend some time on thoses issues, I definitly like the design of thoses watches, but quality is just rubish

#14 ·
I have 3 Helson watches. I only dive a few times a year recreationaly in Paradise Island Bahamas, and St. Barts and the surrounding areas, I also swim regularly in Lake Michigan, and have had no issues with my Helson watches. I can also say first hand that I have had nothing but first class customer service from Helson watches.

#17 ·
It doesn't sound like a CS issue to me--appears that Peter responded quickly and properly. It appears to be a QC issue. I seriously doubt that Helson/Peter tests each one of his watches any more than most companies do. Maybe QC at the factory has slipped; I very much doubt the OP is making this up or that he (and wife and friend) left the crowns unscrewed on that many watches. This probably bears some looking into.

#20 ·
JM - Thanks for sharing and testing the watches. CS aside, although most probably buys these watches purely on aesthetics they should should really be tested better for WR, considering they are being marketed as divers with specific depth ratings. It would be interesting to hear about others who have dived with these or other boutique divers?

#21 ·
First a disclaimer, I buy my watches just like everyone else, I have to business or personal relationship with Helson or any other Watch maker.
I dive, I hit 100 feet regularly and sometimes go deeper but there is little reason to in reality. I have worn several different watches from several makers and never had one fail or leak other than a bluering that someone had been checking out before a dive, had it serviced and checked and never another problem with it, my assumption is someone loosened the crown and it was my fault for not checking.

With today's claim I opened my Skindiver, even managed to scratch the case back because the lock ring was so tight. The raised bumps are the movement spacer I believe which hold the movement in place, it is metal where you often see plastic.
What I find is a well made well designed watch case, the spacers {tabs in question} on mine allow 100% contact with the o-ring case seal, sorry for the poor picture but it was done on my desk top with the camera flash close so there is a lot of glare.}

The basic design is a good one and actually is a nice classic design that is very good on seals, there is a large surface area that clears everything just fine and the lock ring applies even pressure on the back and the seal.

I have no idea why the OP had this problem, My watch was bought at random and everything checks out just fine as far as I can tell, I will dive this watch but it may not be until my trip to the channel islands in July. This proves no more than the other claim but if I had bought a watch and had the problems of the OP I would never have bought another, that is just how I am, to many choices out there to risk problems and to much fun to have.

#25 · (Edited)
I think the op has made some very valid point here with good evidence. Diver styling needs to match diver capabilities. I'm sure moisture failure can occur with any watch that someone actually dives with, but a design flaw from a "dive watch company" should be part of the problem. I'm hope some experienced divers here will share their experiences with diving wearing other boutique brand dive watches. Maybe Omega, BP and Rolex know something the other brands don't? I don't know, but something doesn't seem right. Do companies design a dive watch to look like the Omega, but no perform like one?

#26 ·
Oh, I definitely don't think this story makes the Helson trash, I just think its something they need to have checked into by their manufacturer. They still make a product that has made alot of people happy, but if there is something being overlooked in QC at the factory, I'm sure everyone, especially Helson will want to know whats going on.

#28 ·
I love my Helson's and I have friends that also love theirs. But I personally think that each watch should be tested to at least 1/10th of its rating and it appears like this is not happening with every watch. For 600-1200 dollars, a dive watch should not leak at 100ft, imo of course.

#33 · (Edited)
I find JM's recap of his experiences to be 100% credible. Peter has come up with (and flat out copied) some very fetching designs and delivered watches that at first glance would appear to offer great bang for the buck. But we all know, there is no free lunch -- so a situation like this rearing its ugly head should be no surprise. Having to rely on OEM's and ODM's who will produce product for *anyone* who ponies up the RMB from half a world away is not conducive to QC. However, 1000m should mean 1000m. And, if a company is going to claim to offer DIVE WATCHES, these should be legitimate ISO 6425 dive watches (or comparable established standards). Otherwise, call them what they are... great looking, nicely priced DIVE-LIKE watches. Again, no surprises here.

The fact that JM (and friend's/wife's) watches failed at such modest depths is just amazing, though. Chinese watches and water evidently do not mix. Yes, it is a stereotype, but my motto is "stereotypes are *earned*".

#35 ·
Whatever the reason for the watches flooding - a design flaw or operator error, I think the customer service has been adequate - refunds and replacements on the first few watches, but in the end, it is unusual that the watches keep on flooding when few others have reported the same issue. It could be a case of serious bad luck, which is what it sounds like. In either case, this won't really stop me from purchasing Helson watches, as I've had no issues with watertightness with mine.

#40 ·
I doubt very many do except those that claim the ISO standard, Casio is reputed to test every Frogman but I have no idea really who does or doesn't, it would probably add $25 to $50 to the price, I would rather not pay for something that I'll do myself in the real world and for the record all I want from any maker is an honest 100 meter rating {so 200 is ok 300 is ok but trying for more is a waste of time and makes the watch to thick and heavy. IMHO}

#43 ·
First a disclaimer, I buy my watches just like everyone else, I have to business or personal relationship with Helson or any other Watch maker.

me neither

I dive, I hit 100 feet regularly and sometimes go deeper but there is little reason to in reality.

There are MANY reasons to dive deeper than 100 ft, but this is another story : I am a technical diver using a rebreather and enjoying deep dives, but I am qualified to do so and also dive instructor, however I really see no points of discussion in this forum, perhaps at the exception of saying that I flood my fisrt Helson at 130 ft

I have worn several different watches from several makers and never had one fail or leak other than a bluering that someone had been checking out before a dive, had it serviced and checked and never another problem with it, my assumption is someone loosened the crown and it was my fault for not checking.

I have hundreds of logged dives from shalow to very deep, I have always worn a dive watch and I continue to do so , again I do not see a point of discussion over this forum, but the only thing I can say I am not a newbee in diving and I know what a dive watch is

With today's claim I opened my Skindiver, even managed to scratch the case back because the lock ring was so tight. The raised bumps are the movement spacer I believe which hold the movement in place, it is metal where you often see plastic.
What I find is a well made well designed watch case, the spacers {tabs in question} on mine allow 100% contact with the o-ring case seal, sorry for the poor picture but it was done on my desk top with the camera flash close so there is a lot of glare.}

just dive at 100 ft or more with it and tell us .... this design is simply a mistake because the bridges are too rigid , they came in contact with the caseback, preventing it to fully close and press corectly the O ring : my Skindiver fail during real diving but also with the water tester a 3 ATM

The basic design is a good one and actually is a nice classic design that is very good on seals, there is a large surface area that clears everything just fine and the lock ring applies even pressure on the back and the seal.

I can also point that the design of this supposed dive watch is weak : look to the crown : only one ring : if the crown is not fully and tightly srewed it might leak, none of modern divers I know use only one o-ring only old Vostok do so ... but they are quit cheaper and ... they do not leak like a Helson !

I have no idea why the OP had this problem, My watch was bought at random and everything checks out just fine as far as I can tell, I will dive this watch but it may not be until my trip to the channel islands in July. This proves no more than the other claim but if I had bought a watch and had the problems of the OP I would never have bought another, that is just how I am, to many choices out there to risk problems and to much fun to have

I sincerly belive Peter Helson when he appoligise and speak about "bad luck" : you are right I should not belive him ;) ... his watches are only good for wanabe divers : back to square one and the beginning of my post ;)

#45 ·
You should hit reply with quote so people know who you are addressing {me by the way} I don't know why you have such bad luck with Helson and not any of the other watches that are made exactly the same way, really no idea but why did you give them a second shot? {meaning why buy another?}

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.