Isofrane vs. Hirsch Extreme: Who wins? - Page 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Isofrane vs. Hirsch Extreme: Who wins?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Isofrane vs. Hirsch Extreme: Who wins?

I'll go against the grain and say it really depends on what watch you are putting it on, and to a lesser degree, your needs. I really think stylistically that it is an apples to elephants comparo. If you name just about any watch, one strap would look appropriate, and the other would not.

For most of the more vintage divers being discussed, the Isofrane would be the clear choice. On a newer more aggressively styled modern diver, the Hirsch looks, feels, and functions very nicely and would have the edge.

Since most of my dive watches match the latter description, I would nearly always choose the Hirsch.

Well definitely in the minority but the Isofrane is just plain ugly to me. Now I know history and icon status count for a lot but a strap has to look good in my eyes and it doesn't.

The Hirsch Extreme, of which I have one in 24mm for my O7 has always had great presence.

So no brainer here, Hirsch all the way!

paul
    Doxa 600T Clive Cussler edition
    Breitling Superocean A17345
    Omega 2531.80
    RGM Sea3 Custom
    Ocean 7 LM3 #119

VINTAGE :

Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Zodiac Sea Wolf(1964)
    LeCoultre Master Mariner (1970)
    Hamilton Thinmatic (1968)

Place of honor:

my '80's Seiko 5 which has been through the mill and still runs and tell adequate time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallet Spoon View Post
    I'll go against the grain and say it really depends on what watch you are putting it on, and to a lesser degree, your needs. I really think stylistically that it is an apples to elephants comparo. If you name just about any watch, one strap would look appropriate, and the other would not.

For most of the more vintage divers being discussed, the Isofrane would be the clear choice. On a newer more aggressively styled modern diver, the Hirsch looks, feels, and functions very nicely and would have the edge.

Since most of my dive watches match the latter description, I would nearly always choose the Hirsch.
    I agree. I'd put an isofrane on my 6309 in a heartbeat. I just put a Hirsch Extreme on my ecozilla yesterday, and I think it's perfect for the watch. I think the isofrane would look completely out of place on a zilla.
    Where I come from, we don't whip, and we sure as hell don't nae nae.

As an owner of both.. there are points to each.

If you are wanting a large strap, phenominal quality to go onto a large watch (thick) then go with the Hirsch.

As for comfort and superb looks, the ISOfrane.

I find the ISO to be far more comfortable than the Hirsch, but the Hirsch is definitely a looker and gets alot of attention. Just not as comfortable.

The ISO is also a more supple rubber, feel softer on the wrist.
    JPfeuffer likes this.
    Hidden Content
    SALES & PURCHASE REFERENCES: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by W. C. Bartlett View Post
    Isofrane has been on some of the best vintage dive watches
    So has Rolex' Submariner bracelet, it still seemed to be a cheap bracelet until recently! Some might say a 40€ aftermarket Seiko bracelet is of higher quality...
    Even in this price range, it's ok to ask this question without getting insulting answers. A lot of people seem to like the Hirsch.
    For myself, I have a Hirsch rubber strap (not the Extreme) and think it's not worth the money at all. I haven't handled the Isofrane.

Owned three Extreme, awaiting the Iso 24's in color and other sizes, have to say it's a bit premature to say the new iso's have been fully deployed yet.

Definitely intend to pic up some ISO's and hope the new iterations do justice to their heritage.

Heck, hope they're successful enough to bring back the historic hue of that pale yellow, let alone the requisite navy blue and orange.

Only critisism of the Extreme I have is it is a tad short due to the over stylized shoulders, a long tail make room for a wetsuit and the wavey shoulder cuts the tail short to avoid overlap, also, the polished buckle, seriously, I enjoy my polished divers, but they are in the minority, most are brushed, WTH? Steel wool coming to mine soon.:thanks for making me jack with an 80 dollar strap's buckle...
    “Watch fanatic? Hardly, I’m more of a watch strap junkie that owns a couple watches.”

ISOfrane all the way
    dsbe90 likes this.
    Anonimo
    Chronoscopio AMG Special Edition
    Professionale 6000 (yellow face)
    Militare Chrono Ox-Pro Edition II
    Polluce stainless and gold #69/99
    Polluce stainless blue face on bracelet #94/199
    RESCO ​Patriot x 2
    Panerai 177 "The Stephanie"
    Sinn U1
    Seiko SBDB001, SBBN013, SRP043K, SBDC001, SRP455
    Baume & Mercier Avant-Garde - diamond hour markers, Luminox several
    Casio G-Shock:G7900A-4, GXW56E-1, GX56-1B, GD-100MS-1
    Vintage Jaeger LeCoultre and Universal Geneve
    "Time is too precious to keep it on an inexpensive watch"
    Hidden Content

My vote... the Isofrane wins. Excellent rubber mold quality, beautiful machined buckle, very flexible yet strong and classic looks.

dsbe90 and mekenical like this.
    Dive watch fanatic since 1980
    Hidden Content

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by supawabb View Post
    As an owner of both.. there are points to each.

If you are wanting a large strap, phenominal quality to go onto a large watch (thick) then go with the Hirsch.

As for comfort and superb looks, the ISOfrane.

I find the ISO to be far more comfortable than the Hirsch, but the Hirsch is definitely a looker and gets alot of attention. Just not as comfortable.

The ISO is also a more supple rubber, feel softer on the wrist.
    Ah, now that's interesting. I thought about the same thing in regards to matching the watch silhouette and perhaps style.

One thing that could be said on the engineering side is that in principle the Hirsch should be the more robust strap. It is much thicker and the material is not perforated throughout like the Iso.

On a Rolex I'd clearly put an Iso but on an Oris TT1 or perhaps even on a PO, I'd probably go with a Hirsch.

Anybody else have some more insights on engineering and functionality?

Till

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information