Thread: Luminous seconds hands - point?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Luminous seconds hands - point?

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond 'The Box' View Post
    I get that now, and I guess it makes sense and all, but I've just never found a need to make sure my watch is still running. I don't look at it often enough that I can't tell by where the hour or minute hands are, and I just don't question it in water or dark because I don't rely on it for anything, it's just there with me because it can be - that's it.
    Here's a scenario: You're on a dive and your Suunto craps out. Now you're on your backup (at least I am), an automatic dive watch. It stopped 12 minutes before the Suunto conked out or it stops 3 minutes after the Suunto but you don't know that because there is no seconds hand. I won't take that chance. I may not remember where the minute hand was the last time I looked. If you don't look at it often that's more reason, not less, to be able to see at a glance that your watch is still ticking. JMHO.

If I'm in the water, I have a flashlight. So I can look at the watch in full light or just recharge the lume if need be.
    On land I keep a 29 LED white flashlight and an Inova X5 tactical UV (375nm) on the night stand to charge my watches more than bright enough to read by. I do have a dress watch without a seconds hand but never a dive watch (analog that is) without one.
    Last edited by Guido Muldoon; December 15th, 2008 at 07:24.
    Current baker's dozen favorites:
    AirNautic Early Bird 24hr #20;
    Bathys Black Aquaculture;Casio MDV-102-1AVCF; Citizen Eco-Zilla SS; Corvus Bradley #44; Hamilton Field Mechanical 44mm; Helson Sharkdiver #100;
    Luminox 8202; OCEAN7 LM-1LE 41/150; LM-3V2B #26; LM-7 #7; Seiko SKX007K2; Squale 50 ATMOS: Victorinox Garrison; + about 20 more
    Incoming: NADA

I've been trying for some time to develop a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.- Garry Trudeau
    Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts. - Lt. "Mac" McReynolds

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

With night adapted eyes, you can use a chronograph (with a luminous second hand, such as Speedmaster) you can use the chronograph to time sub-one minute events to 2.5 second accuracy.

So, I wouldn't call them useless.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Muldoon View Post
    Here's a scenario: You're on a dive and your Suunto craps out. Now you're on your backup (at least I am), an automatic dive watch. It stopped 12 minutes before the Suunto conked out or it stops 3 minutes after the Suunto but you don't know that because there is no seconds hand. I won't take that chance. I may not remember where the minute hand was the last time I looked. If you don't look at it often that's more reason, not less, to be able to see at a glance that your watch is still ticking. JMHO.

If I'm in the water, I have a flashlight. So I can look at the watch in full light or just recharge the lume if need be.
    On land I keep a 29 LED white flashlight and an Inova X5 tactical UV (375nm) on the night stand to charge my watches more than bright enough to read by. I do have a dress watch without a seconds hand but never a dive watch (analog that is) without one.
    Well, pure and simple, weather I could tell my watch was accurate or not, I'd start my surfacing ritual. Wouldn't that be the recommendation? You could always use that flashlight to check the seconds hand, no? My point was that the only one's I've used under water looked nothing but a blur at glance. So I guess I should try a watch with a better lume dot sometime. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond 'The Box' View Post
    Well, pure and simple, weather I could tell my watch was accurate or not, I'd start my surfacing ritual. Wouldn't that be the recommendation? You could always use that flashlight to check the seconds hand, no? My point was that the only one's I've used under water looked nothing but a blur at glance. So I guess I should try a watch with a better lume dot sometime. ;D
    You'd only need to abort the dive if you weren't confident that your back up (dive watch) was working fine and accurately recording the duration of the dive. If you had no second hand on the watch, or couldn't read it, it could add doubt and therefore force you to abort.

I think the question should be - why wouldn't you want the seconds hand to have lume on it? If the importance of the seconds hand is so low that it doesn't warrant lume maybe it shouldn't be there at all?

Interesting point about the ISO for a dive watch though - so what's with the Doxa 800T? No lume on the seconds hand there, or is there?

Ya gotta have lume on the second hand!!!
    Its my favourite hand (besides the wifes ).
    I hardly dive but I often get locked in a trance staring at it, with its smooth sweep....ahhhh.
    What I dont like is lume on the back of the second hand, like the frankenmonster. Looks too confusing.

Crooked date hate!!!

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by HalifaxNS View Post
    Ya gotta have lume on the second hand!!!
    Its my favourite hand (besides the wifes ).
    I hardly dive but I often get locked in a trance staring at it, with its smooth sweep....ahhhh.
    What I dont like is lume on the back of the second hand, like the frankenmonster. Looks too confusing.
    That was my initial quibble, but then a guy brought up a good point, if it's just there to assure the watch is still working then it doesn't matter which side it's on. I've just never used it for that purpose, nor will I ever - it just seems useless!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information