Metal bracelet options for the BOREALIS ESTORIL 300 watch - Page 8
Like Tree416Likes

Thread: Metal bracelet options for the BOREALIS ESTORIL 300 watch

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Re: Metal bracelet options for the BOREALIS ESTORIL 300 watch

Quote Originally Posted by B.Boston View Post
    Wow Page 4 already! I have been meaning to get over here and post what I have found so far.

Here is the link to my long winded and picture full post on the main Estoril thread: BOREALIS ESTORIL 300

And here is a link to another SEL that worked. The beautiful Omega 1610/930 bracelet. BOREALIS ESTORIL 300

Long story short - I found the Strap Code MILTAT super oyster for the SKX023 fit, albeit with thinner spring bars for me. I ended up returning it though because I wasn't loving the Oyster on the Estoril. I would must rather have a speedy or bond style to match the Estoril's aesthetics.

I also ordered a Bond aftermarket replacement on e-bay that looks like a good fit, and even has the 825 etched into the end link (which is bond bracelet version of the 930). But sadly the end links were not the same as the stock photo from them and they was not enough material to reach the case with the springbars locked in. The seller wasn't really helpful, but I may try another one once that return is complete. I've also been watching for used 1610/930 or 1503/825 bracelets online.

Cheers,

@B.Boston:

I think the above mentioned experiment with the bond aftermarket replacement and 825 endlinks is documented in your picture below?
    (Found it on Page 92 of the Estoril thread)

Name:  bond_825.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  203.3 KB

I tested the same bracelet today, used the thin springbars that where attached to the delivered package and of course had the same result: The same gap which can be seen in the picture and a resulting unacceptable jiggle of the endlink. But then I noticed, that the delivered springbars where much to flimsy for the drilling in the endlinks. The original ones from the Estoril are thicker and fitted exactly. And what should I say, also the endlinks where compatible just by using the original Estoril springbars. When looking at the picture above, I have the feeling that these are also not the Estoril springbars ? I made my tests quickly only with one side of the bracelet as I had no time. But during this weekend I will come back the bracelet and will take some pictures. But I think chances are good :)

Edit: Just compared my endlinks with the picture above and noticed, that there are fine differences. The 825 print is placed in the middle of my endlink and the are small widenings at the bottom to suppress jiggle. I will catch that in the pictures.
    Last edited by DiversWatch; July 29th, 2016 at 03:44.

Hmmm maybe time for a quick experiment with the other ones I got before shipping them back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jguitron likes this.

[QUOTE=B.Boston;31910522]Hmmm maybe time for a quick experiment with the other ones I got before shipping them back...

If you think in using Estoril spring bars with a too short speed master style bracelet, than we both had the same idea :)
    30 Minutes ago I thought what worked ones, should work another time. But that failed. Had that effect only with the bond style.
    But who know's, there seem to be a lot of variances among these aftermarket clones .
    Last edited by DiversWatch; July 29th, 2016 at 04:01.

Yeah. Didn't work. It was better though, so if it were close enough at first it might have helped

I have a new bracelet for my Estoril. As some of you will know, I bought an aftermarket bracelet for an Omega and had to grind the end links to get them to fit. The end result looked great to me but I tried to find something else that would work but with less Dremel work involved. Here's my latest findings on the bracelet pictured below:

Name:  Wrist shot 1.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  469.3 KB
    Name:  Wrist shot 2.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  945.2 KB
    Name:  Wrist shot 3.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  773.0 KB

The solid end links fit without grinding! But - and there always seems to be a but.... there's a small gap between the end surface of the link and the curved face of the watch case between the lugs. It's quite small and it's acceptable to me. This small gap allows the end link to pivot slightly on the spring bar. When it pivots downwards, it closes the gap at the bottom (underneath the watch and unseen) and opens it up to maximum at the top (visible). When it pivots upwards the reverse of this situation occurs. I estimate the mid point gap is 0.25mm, closing to 0.0mm and maximising at 0.35mm to 0.40mm.

If you want me to summarise that in plain English - it's pretty good but not perfect. If someone was looking for a solid end link bracelet of this style without the hassle of needing to get the Dremel out at it then I'd recommend this, it gets my

The below image shows the end link pivoted downwards - maximum visible gap.

Name:  Gap Open.JPG
Views: 416
Size:  1.92 MB

The below image shows the end link pivoted upwards - minimum visible gap.

Name:  Gap Closed.JPG
Views: 411
Size:  1.75 MB

If you wanted to leave it at that then I think many would be happy. I have a couple of ideas I may experiment with to get it to sit consistently with the gap closed as much as I can. Basically this will involve packing out the lower front surface of the end links that contact the watch case with small, thin strips of electrical tape. This should force a pivoted up/closed gap stance. If that works, some solder could replace the tape and then be filed down to the ideal thickness.

Also, in the pivoted upwards/no-gap state, the small tabs on the end link that sit beneath the watch case have a gap between them and the back of the watch. Some solder added here and filed down would also work. All I need now is the time and a mischievous, idol-boredom state of mind to attack this task!

Below image shows the small tab, there's a gap between it and the back of the watch but it's hard to see the gap in the pic.

Name:  IMG_1743.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  202.8 KB

So so far, so good really - bracelet fits, with work can be improved but is entirely acceptable if you can't be bothered. The clasp snaps closed well and the wetsuit extension stays in place - my previous aftermarket Omega style bracelet had a tendency for the wetsuit extension to flop out occasionally when donning the watch. The links are held together with split pins and there are no half links for finer adjustment available.

Now for a negative point for me. This bracelet only comes with a name and logo on the clasp. I personally couldn't live with it saying one thing on the clasp and then Borealis branded on the watch dial. There are 2 solutions to this.

Option number 1: buy a new clasp. I can conform that the one linked to here will fit this bracelet, it's $30.00 on ebay: Watch Band Clasp FOR Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 18mm Part | eBay

Option number 2: Yes, you guessed it! Get out the Dremel, save yourself the money and grind off the logo. Then rebrush the finish. I used the maroon coloured, coarse steel wool and I found the finish worked well. I had the finer, green grade but it look a little too polished for my taste.

The below images show the refinished clasp. You can see some dimples and waviness in the reflections towards the left hand side - the remains of the grinding. I could go back and spend more time at it but to be perfectly frank, I'm just a lazy a$$

Name:  Clasp 3.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  310.3 KB
    Name:  Clasp 2.JPG
Views: 398
Size:  302.3 KB

Here's where to get this if you're interested. You'll have to email Chris at his company email contact address: arwcustomerservice@gmail.com Tell him you want bracelet model "ARW-2637", it costs $46.00 including the shipping which takes a couple of weeks.

Name:  Front 1.JPG
Views: 400
Size:  687.4 KB
    Name:  Front 2.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  2.17 MB
    Name:  Wrist shot 4.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  839.6 KB

Woah! Fantastic meticulous job!!! This is bounds forwards saving peeps like me tons of sweat blood and tears.

Thank you very much and keep us posted if you manage to anchor the bottom half of the end link!

Cheers man!

@Narc'd:
    Worked today also on a bracelet with misssing length at the endlink. If your endlink allows thicker springbars, you will find that the missing length is minimized if not eliminated.
    Narc'd and Watchcollector21 like this.

Alright guys. Based on Ed's advice above I sent our friend Fred of Bernhardt watches 50 bucks for the solid end link bracelet intended for their diver. Three days later I have this in my mailbox.

All the reviews for the Binnacle Diver say that the bracelet alone makes the watch worth owning and they aren't kidding. It's on par with my strap code super oyster for my SKX007. Solid links, very thick and screwed links. The folding clasp is machined steel and the clasp has four micro-adjustments. Sweet! The clasp is engraved with Bernhardt but the script is tastefully small so it doens't bug me.

Best of all, like Ed said, it fits almost perfectly. No wiggle at all and the tops of the SELs are flush with the inner curve of those sexy lugs. Indeed, it fits even better than the aforementioned SO on my SKX. Very little if any play. The spring bars lined up perfectly and I was pleasantly surprised by how easily the SEL slipped right into the position and the spring bars made that beautiful sound when they found their way home. "Snick, snick". You know what I'm talking about if you're WIS. Superficially it looks like an oyster style but the links are notably thicker than most oyster bracelets to the point that it looks almost like a hybrid of oyster and presidential styling.

Some nits... The end links protrude a tiny bit past the lugs. Nothing too glaring. Heck my SO does the same thing in my SKX too. On the wrist it's barely noticeable.

Well here are my pics:

Name:  IMG_1011.JPG
Views: 391
Size:  588.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_1002.JPG
Views: 384
Size:  662.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1004.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  520.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1008.JPG
Views: 379
Size:  694.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by captaincaveman79; July 30th, 2016 at 01:27.

I contacted Fred at Bernhardt this week. He's no longer selling the Binnacle bracelet with endlinks. He'll only sell the bracelet without the endlinks.
    Where I come from, we don't whip, and we sure as hell don't nae nae.

Quote Originally Posted by clouser View Post
    I contacted Fred at Bernhardt this week. He's no longer selling the Binnacle bracelet with endlinks. He'll only sell the bracelet without the endlinks.
    Rats that's too bad. Now I'm glad I ordered mine earlier. It's a great bracelet and arguably one of the closest fitting w solid end links. Option two is to order a sarg009 bracelet. The seiko USA service center quoted me about 120 and it would need to be ordered from Japan. I asked them to notify me when they get another shipment and was told it could take weeks or months.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information