Metal bracelet options for the BOREALIS ESTORIL 300 watch - Page 9
Like Tree416Likes

Thread: Metal bracelet options for the BOREALIS ESTORIL 300 watch

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Re: Metal bracelet options for the BOREALIS ESTORIL 300 watch

Tried my mesh last night. Love the looks...

... But

I got too aggressive removing excess length and it's a bit on the tight side.

Now, while its 20mm the links following the ones holding the springbar fit very tightly. So tight, that they don't let the bracelet move freely on the lugs...

This despite some tightening of the links which helped but still grinds against the lugs.

I love how it looks but I feel my E300 deserves better.

This was the Amazon bought $13 one so no big loss.

The search continues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got too aggressive removing excess length and it's a bit on the tight side.

Now, while its 20mm the links following the ones holding the springbar fit very tightly. So tight, that they don't let the bracelet move freely on the lugs...
    I bought 2 of those straps and the 1st time I cut the links I did the same and it was a fraction tight. I cut the 2nd one a couple of links longer. The shorter ones might still do during winter when it's colder. Had the same thing with the row of links next to the final one that the spring bar goes through rubbing against the lugs too. I just squashed them against the corner edge of the computer that I'm typing this from to make them a touch narrower and they're fine now. Alternatively you could try source a longer clasp to claw back a few mm. My links rubbed against the case of the watch too so I got the Dremel at the centre 4 links and shaved a bit off - put a bit of a curve to the end link if you get me.
    Last edited by Narc'd; July 30th, 2016 at 16:06.
    Jguitron likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Narc'd View Post
    I bought 2 of those straps and the 1st time I cut the links I did the same and it was a fraction tight. I cut the 2nd one a couple of links longer. The shorter ones might still do during winter when it's colder. Had the same thing with the row of links next to the final one that the spring bar goes through rubbing against the lugs too. I just squashed them against the corner edge of the computer that I'm typing this from to make them a touch narrower and they're fine now. Alternatively you could try source a longer clasp to claw back a few mm. My links rubbed against the case of the watch too so I got the Dremel at the centre 4 links and shaved a bit off - put a bit of a curve to the end link if you get me.
    I wonder if ordering a 19 mm would make the fit easier...

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll give it a shot.

I got my hands on an original Seamaster bracelet from @rodserling that works excellent without any modifications.

It's a very similar fit to what @Narc'd posted, perhaps slightly bigger gap on this one but something I'm totally fine with. So far my best option I've tried! Please keep them coming!

Narc'd, Toh, the_watchier and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jguitron View Post
    I got my hands on an original Seamaster bracelet from @rodserling that works excellent without any modifications.

It's a very similar fit to what @Narc'd posted, perhaps slightly bigger gap on this one but something I'm totally fine with. So far my best option I've tried! Please keep them coming!

good to know these options exist! Personally I'm too ocd to tolerate a gap that large though.
    Jguitron and B.Boston like this.

Sticking in another shot of the gap, definitely a bit smaller than yours Jguitron. I have a plan "set" in motion to improve on it. Will report back in the future. Alternatively, if it doesn't work I'll just stay quiet and hope no one ever remembers me writing this! LOL

Name:  Wrist shot 5.JPG
Views: 417
Size:  418.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Narc'd View Post
    Sticking in another shot of the gap, definitely a bit smaller than yours Jguitron. I have a plan "set" in motion to improve on it. Will report back in the future. Alternatively, if it doesn't work I'll just stay quiet and hope no one ever remembers me writing this! LOL

Name:  Wrist shot 5.JPG
Views: 417
Size:  418.4 KB
    Lol

I don't think Assange will hit us anytime soon

Yes please tell us how it goes. I think if it works on yours it'll likely work on mine.

Ok, well I improved the gap a tiny bit. It wasn't that bad anyway and I could have settled on it. It looks better in real life than in the close up shots - they seem to exaggerate it.

6 o'clock gap:
    Name:  6 o clock.JPG
Views: 335
Size:  1.08 MB

12 o'clock gap:
    Name:  12 o clock.JPG
Views: 331
Size:  1.03 MB
    Name:  12 o clock 2.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  922.8 KB
    Name:  12 on wrist.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  786.2 KB

As I mentioned previously, the gap was caused by the end link being about 0.25mm too short, allowing the end link to rock by pivoting on the spring bar. Depending on whether which way it rocked - down,opening gap more or up, closing the gap. I decided to try leave it permanently tilted up by adding some filler material to the end surface of the end link. Here's what I did:

1. Remove bracelet and clean end surface of the end link with degreaser and some tissue paper.
    2. Lightly smear some petroleum jelly on the watch case, between the lugs.
    3. Then I added a tiny bit of Sugru to the bottom part of each end link end surface.
    4. Refitted the bracelet. Doing this squeezed out some of the soft Sugru so I packed it back into the gap with a spring bar tool.
    5. Let it set for 24 hours.
    6. Removed bracelet, cleaned petroleum jelly from the watch case between the lugs - this prevents the Sugru bonding to the watch itself. Cleaned up any "hairy" bits of Sugru from the end link.

If you haven't used Sugru before, it's just like Play Dough or plasticine that kids play with. You can mold it to any shape and it sets in place as a silicone type rubber. Removes easily if you make a pig's ear of the job too!

Name:  End 1.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  1.25 MB

Name:  End 2.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  722.1 KB

The gap could possibly be eliminated alltogether. I think when I left the watch stored while the Sugru set a small gap may have been present on the top of the end link where we will actually see when wearing the watch. Better storage could maybe improve this. I think this is also down to the Sugru getting squeezed out of place and then repacked after fitting the bracelet. Another possibility is the as the Hardened Sugru is still a soft-ish rubber, the bracelet squashes it slightly, allowing a small amout of the pivoting down motion I mentioned and opening a gap.

To summarise - I'm totally happy with this bracelet, the original fit is good enough and now it's slightly better.

Impressive!
    Looks outstanding!

Thank you for the tutorial.

How long is the sugru expected to last??

How long is the sugru expected to last??
    I actually don't know it's lifetime - I'd say in some applications as long as any rubber could be expected. Here on the bracelet I'd imagine that it will last pretty much as long as needed. It's not really under any stress, there's no shear forces or abrasion on it as it's just sitting there, sightly compressed between the watch case and the end link.

Looking back in hindsight, you could probably apply it and let it set while the bracelet is off the watch. Then trim it with a blade afterwards until it's thin enough for the right fit. There's a bit of squish to it too so yo could probably get away with it not being perfect - it's just a buffer to push the lower surface out away from the watch case a bit so it closes the gap at the top. You could try bathroom silicone sealant as well to experiment with but I'd say that would peel off fairly quickly and not bond as well as the Sugru.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information