Thread: New Seiko SBDD001 Kinetic Drive 200M Scuba

New Seiko SBDD001 Kinetic Drive 200M Scuba

Hi all.....initial report on this guy....
    Watch is Japan- marketed, hence not really available in the states. You can go to Chronoworld in BC, or Seiya or Higuchi in Japan directly. Timepiece is good quality, snug fits where necessary, comfortable on the wrist, bezel cliks smartly. Titanium case negates weight concerns, so it is quite lite (case and crown are about 52mm). My Sub is noticibly heavier on the wrist. Lume is about an 8 (of 10). Kinetic mechanism works well, and builds storage charge quickly. One major complaint.....SAVE THE MONEY FOR THE TITANIUM BRACELET! Timepiece comes from Seiko mounted on titanium bracelet with extra Seiko rubber diver strap. If you can swing a deal for just the rubber, do it. The titanium bracelet is far less in quality than this 2500USD timepiece deserves. Link pins should be screw type, they are not. They are straight push pins, and seem to be of fragile manufacture. I size all my pieces and have done so for thirty years, and have never seen pins this frail. Once sizing is accomplished, pins have no restriction once reinstalled and literally fall out when wrist moves. Overall I would rate timepiece 9.0 but bracelet 1.0. If you don't like the rubber, go with an aftermarket mesh, or DIVESTRAP kevlar. If you are a desk diver, try Heroic18 and have them taper the ends to fit the 22mm lug width. I had a black Anonimo water resistant strap that I shaved down with a Dremel tool, and it looks mahvalous!!!
    Next into the barn will be an Anonimo San Marco. Will let you all know about that guy when he arrives.
    Sorry, no pictures....blackberry is not camera equipped!
    A great day to all!!
    Kripaws

Re: New Seiko SBDD001 Kinetic Drive 200M Scuba

Quote Originally Posted by kripaws View Post
    I size all my pieces and have done so for thirty years, and have never seen pins this frail. Once sizing is accomplished, pins have no restriction once reinstalled and literally fall out when wrist moves.
    With thirty years experience you should know that those pins insert into collars that you are obviously not using and that's why they are falling out.

I was gonna say, when did Seiko start using split pins on their high-end divers....and more importantly, why are they slipping out in a matter of seconds....

You need to look on your pin pusher or whatever tool you used to see if the little collars are still there. I own the same watch. I did the same thing you did, but I had a friend help me out and he sent me some more collars. Get a magnate and run it over where you worked on the bracelet you might be able to find them, also the collars go on the ends of the pins.

[/quote]

That is one mean watch on the wrist. What is the weight in TI?
    JD
    Current rotation

More than last year less than next year, consolidation not withstanding

PJ

About 160g on the bracelet. I really like the bracelet especially the ratcheted divers extension.

Phil

I've been seriously thinking about this one

especially the PVD one. However, I find it a bit expensive for a non-automatic.

Opinions on this matter?

Thanks.
    Rafael T

For me I love Seiko's dial work. The chapter ring, hands lume markers, bezel (saw tooth), the lettering and size. I have to agree about the bracelet, it rock's. This watch will still be there 7 yrs from now.

It's all good

Quote Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
    With thirty years experience you should know that those pins insert into collars that you are obviously not using and that's why they are falling out.

:oops:Appreciate the heads up! Most bracelets were screw type. Have only done couple or three pin type bracelets over the years and this has never happened before, hence I was unaware of the collar deal. Am I embarrased! Not a big bracelet fan anyway...will stick with leather and synthetics. :thanks

PJ

Quote Originally Posted by kripaws View Post
    :oops:Appreciate the heads up! Most bracelets were screw type. Have only done couple or three pin type bracelets over the years and this has never happened before, hence I was unaware of the collar deal. Am I embarrased! Not a big bracelet fan anyway...will stick with leather and synthetics. :thanks
    I would agree that sizing could be easier for the price point...it is a great watch though

Thread Information