WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Obris Morgan - Vanilla Scented Natural Rubber Strap - Mini Review

16K views 78 replies 38 participants last post by  Dedmanzhand 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello gents,

just today I received a nice package from HK, containing one of the new Obris Morgan 'isofrane' style straps. I only heard of Obris not too long ago and when I saw them offering a 'ladder' rubber strap for $20 incl. shipping I could not resist and ordered an orange one.

I have had a blue isofrane in the past, but I sold it again because I simply did not find it comfortable enough. It was always a little stiff and pushing onto the side of my arm in a way that would just not feel good for me. It was indeed soft and flexible but just not for me. I will compare the Obris strap to what I remember from the isofrane.

The Obris Morgan strap has the classic style we are used to, the openings towards the watch are somewhat bigger - I think I saw somebody here post a comparison picture with an isofrane, confirming this.

The strap is soft and flexible, similar to what I remember the isofrane to be like. It has two simple rubber keepers. Before I could attach the strap I had to assemble the hardware which was delivered in a separate bag. The hardware is relatively simple and uses a springbar. The metal is thinner than the isofrane but I expect it to be up to the task.The holes for the springbars easily take a fat bar without too much work.
The inside of the strap shows both the Obris logo and the link to their webpage, on the outside there are no markings. Further it has a pattern to allow breathability similar to what is found on the iso. The casting is not as good and especially on the inside openings grates can be found. I do not find this terrible, but the edges seem to be a little sharper than I remember the iso to be, but then again it is still soft rubber. The biggest letdown is the smell. Obris sells it as a vanilla scented rubber strap - all I can smell is burned rubber. Maybe this will go away after a little bit, I certainly would not advertise it as such.

Bottom lime. I think for $20 shipped it is a good strap, especially when one wants to test the isofrane style and does not want to spend $120 for an original. The price difference can be felt in the hardware, the manufacturing gratings and in the 'burned' smell. Another note is that it seems to be sized a little larger, on my 6.5" wrist I am on the last hole and it still is a little loose. On the iso I had one or two holes before the end. If you like a tight fit I recommend to get it if you are above a 6.75"-7" wrist.

UPDATE: I have worn the strap now for about 5 days straight and have nothing to complain about. I had the strap in my drawer for about 2 days and it lost almost all of the smell. Only a light smell of vanilla and rubber remains. I have a BC natural rubber strap and that smells a lot stronger - but also a slightly nicer vanilla odor. At this price you cannot really go wrong.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Orange Strap
Analog watch Watch accessory Watch Orange Strap
Orange
Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory
Plastic
the orange is a little darker than my pictures would make you think.

See less See more
#15 ·
Can anyone compare it to the Cuda? I have one of those and it is great, and for $20, some of the colors are cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More colors than cuda. Cheaper than cuda. More flexible than cuda. More buckle finishes than cuda. Buckles not as heavy duty. Ladder holes larger than cuda. Less length of adjustment, i.e. fewer buckle holes than cuda. Smells different from cuda.

#6 ·
Appreciate the review:) I was looking at these a month ago and pleasantly pleased to see multiple colors being offered.
I'm quite sure come summer, a yellow or turquoise strap will be a necessary addition to my watches.

#9 ·
I rec'd a handful of these straps and will be doing a detailed review with a side by side to isofrane and benarusfrane detailing all similarities, differences, and colour comparisons and quality/comfort.

It'll be a few days. Lots of pics being taken etc.

#18 ·
Nice review.Always valuable to know there is a quality budget natural rubber dive strap out there.

Silicon is nowhere near as good & I try to avoid it completely.

I'm a big fan of Benetto Cinturini,who offer great quality at a modest price.Obris M seem to have taken them on & produced a winner.

Excellent!

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks to the OP for posting this topic, just ordered two straps a few minutes ago. Two black straps, one 20 and another 22mm.

I bought a couple of nice watches lately that were only on bracelet; I prefer wearing rubber in the summer or at work, so time to refill the strap box.

Cheers!!

#22 ·
Could someone please confirm is the spring bar holes are big enough to fit a 22mm Seiko FAT spring bar that would come on a SBBN015 Seiko Tuna? I'm looking for a strap like this, but want to continue using the factory spring bars which are quite big in diameter.

Thanks
James

#23 ·
They will fit (Similar to the isofrane) but you might need to work a little to get them out. I have put in fat bars a few times and carefully taken them out with a spring bar tool and a small pliers. Ideally you leave them in and get an extra pair of bars.

#33 ·
Trigger pulled. It just dawned on me I've been wanting a blue style ISO strap for my blue dial Cave Dweller for the longest time now and the OM blue is pretty much perfect.

I'll post pics when it arrives. It's currently on the black Cuda that came with my Armida A7...which can be swapped to my Tuna when the Blue OM arrives. :) win win.

#44 ·
Trigger pulled. It just dawned on me I've been wanting a blue style ISO strap for my blue dial Cave Dweller for the longest time now and the OM blue is pretty much perfect.

I'll post pics when it arrives. It's currently on the black Cuda that came with my Armida A7...which can be swapped to my Tuna when the Blue OM arrives. :) win win.

Sometimes it's better to match the strap to the accent colors. I think that watch would look great with an orange strap.

#34 ·
I ordered a blasted Explorer II from OM last Saturday (when they re-appeared in stock) and seized the opportunity to order two more rubber straps, so that'll be dark blue, aqua blue and yellow... Plenty of fun for the summer (or to think of the summer when it's not yet there ;-))

#40 ·
It is thinner then the cuda but the same as the isofrane. I just finished a big photoshoot of the straps I got and just need to put together my review and will be posting sometime this week (hopefully). 80+ pics with a wide range of colours and watches they are on and side by side comparos.

#42 ·
Hmm I might try them too.. Maybe a black or grey.. Can't see myself shelling out for a iso without seeing them Irl!

-Sent using Rock, Paper and the occasional Scissors-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.