Thread: Opinions on Seamaster vs. Aquaracer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Opinions on Seamaster vs. Aquaracer

I'm a relative newbie to higher end watches but have been surfin the forums last week or so. I've finally decided on 4 possible watches. I'm interested in buying used in very good condition and looking in the 1-2k range, I like the Aquaracer and Seamaster the best...either in black or blue with matching bezels.

My favs are the auto chronographs, but also considering just the autos. Generally, forums seem to prefer the omega, but haven't seen any direct comparisons of the two. Seems like most feel movement quality goes to omega. I'm not sure about case/bracelet quality between the two.

So, whats your opinion between the two?

P.S. I have a smallish wrist so don't want any of the really large watches...I think 42mm case is the largest that I could do.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Opinions on Seamaster vs. Aquaracer

Based on looks alone I like the Aquaracer better.

Simply put, the Tag is ok but the Omega is outstanding.

Omega is really a world class watch that competes with the best of Switzerland from casework/finishing to bracelet to movement.

The TAG is not a watch that stands out from the rest of the crowd of eta powered "Swiss" watches using Asian manufactured components.

You get what you pay for, and if the budget allows then I would go Omega everytime.

You have to compare apples to apples per se. The movements in each watch are completely different, the Tag Heuer is a fine watch, however its movement is somewhat lacking. The Omega is a COSC Chonometer, even in the standard automatic. The complexity of the movement is the biggest difference.

If you are looking for purely asthetic reasons, then you should really compare them in your hand. The Omega Chono 300M is a tank. It is thicker, heavier, and a larger diameter that of the Tag Heuer, and the bracelet is equally substantial. I have never owned an quaracer 4000, however I do own an original Heuer 1000, and a Tag Heuer Super Professional 1000M , and the Omega wins out every time.
    Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller 116660
    Breitling Twin Sixty A39022

"Pee in your mask, spit in your wesuit!"

I've owned two TAG Heuer Aquaracer Automatics (both full size, black dial, black bezel) and two Omega Seamaster Professionals (2531.80 "Bond" and 2254.50 black dial). Of the 4 I still have the two Omegas.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Aquaracer Automatic, the fact that I repurchased the exact same version of this timepiece a year or so after selling my original is indicative of my fondness of the design. The only two real negatives I see with the Aquaracer are the bezel and the bracelet/clasp.

People have complained for years that the Seamaster Bezel is hard to use but in my hands I had a much more difficult time manipulating the high polished edges of the Aquaracer bezel. The bracelet is, in my opinion, the weakest part of the Aquaracer line. Although not 'bad' it definitely feels a notch or two below the Seamaster and even some of TAGs other offerings such as the Link. The clasp is also your run of the mill stamped flip-lock found on watches costing 1/10 the price.

On the plus side the dial layout of the Aquaracer is extremely clean, luminescence is good and both of my examples were very accurate.

As for the Seamaster, there isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said before. It's an absolute classic in my book. Both the 2531.80 and the 2254.50 have served me well. My "Bond" watch has been all but retired (after nearly 8 years of regular wear) in hopes that I can pass it on to the next generation some day. My black dial Seamaster is now my everyday wear watch and save for alternating it with my Speedy Pro it rarely leaves my wrist.

One thing to consider is the difference in price. The Aquaracer retails for $1695 whereas the Seamaster retails for $2150. What does the extra $455 get you? A Chronometer certified higher end movement, a better bracelet and clasp (IMHO), a more intricate dial, better luminescence, a much more ornate and well finished case (nothing wrong with the TAG, but if you old the two next to each other you'll see what I mean), a Helium Release Valve (useless to 99.9% of us but it still adds value), and a nice domed sapphire crystal.

You owe it to yourself to visit an AD in your area that carries both Omega and TAG. Try on both timepieces and buy the one that calls to you. Although these forums are great places for information none of us can really tell you what you'll like best!

Jacob

Inactive

Go with what you like. go to a jeweller who has both like Jareds and compare them. the tags are nice. the omegas are as well. I tend to buy the omegas but thats my preference. They are both Swiss and regardless of what you may hear, they are swiss made and manufactured in switzerland. Chinese parts in a Tag? try and prove it. thats the closest guarded secret of watch companies.

I own two TAG's and three Omegas. I bought the TAG's first and then upgraded to the Omegas. Of the five, I wear the Omegas - the TAG's live in a watch cabinet. I agree with most of the other posters in that Omega is a more substantial watch - when I wear my Seamaster GMT, I know I'm wearing a watch. I find the braclet on the Seamaster to be superior to even the Rolex Submariner SS braclet. The Rolex feels like a tin can when compared to the SM, I think. With your budget, some patience, and a sharp eye, you should be able to buy a new Seamaster! Good luck in the hunt!
    Cheers,

"Flirtin' with Disaster"

Awake: Omega Seamaster Midsize - Omega Seamaster GMT - Omega Speedmaster Day-Date - TAG Heuer 1500 (white and black dials) - Marathon TSAR - Benarus Worldiver GMT - Citizen Aqualand 200M Diver - Citizen Eco Drive 300m Diver - Citizen Promaster 200M Diver - Citizen Eco Drive Orca 200M Diver - Assorted Casio G-Shocks

Dreaming: Kobold Soarway Diver SEAL Tactical - Kobold SMG-1 - Kobold Phantom Tactical - Rolex Sea Dweller - Bell and Ross Hydromax 11000M - Omega SeaMaster Professional

Quote Originally Posted by yamahaki View Post
    They are both Swiss and regardless of what you may hear, they are swiss made and manufactured in switzerland. Chinese parts in a Tag? try and prove it. thats the closest guarded secret of watch companies.
    I have owned a few TAG's myself and some of the components, like say the dive extension on the Aquagraph, are exactly 100% identical in construction and execution to other watches known to be using Asian made components. (For example Ball Watch is a new company Asian based and using the same extension as the Aquagraph. Owning and examining the watches is all the proof you need.)

"Swiss Made" does not equal 100% Swiss. This is no secret!

See " The ‘Swiss Made’ label is an empty shell" at this link for an interesting opinion:

http://www.europastar.com/europastar..._id=1000486686

There is also an interesting section on "swiss made" in Wikipedia which clearly defines how companies such as Tag are able to get away with this loose definiton for the last decade or so, taking advantage of the naive consumer while the executives clean up.

Tag is certainly not alone in these practices, but that is the brand being discussed here so that is why I mentioned them. Also it's not saying they are not well made watches either. My Asian made watches (Spring Drive Seiko's, etc) have been some of the least problematic and most beautiful, well made watches I have owned. Like I said earlier there is nothing wrong with a TAG but a potential buyer should be aware of what he is buying and not fed a bunch of Swiss Made fairy dust, IMO.
    Last edited by Biginboca; January 6th, 2008 at 00:06.

Aquadive forum moderator W. C. Bartlett's Avatar

I would recommend the Omega. The only decent dive watch that Tag makes is the Aquagraph.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
    I have owned a few TAG's myself and some of the components, like say the dive extension on the Aquagraph, are exactly 100% identical in construction and execution to other watches known to be using Asian made components. (For example Ball Watch is a new company Asian based and using the same extension as the Aquagraph. Owning and examining the watches is all the proof you need.)

"Swiss Made" does not equal 100% Swiss. This is no secret!

See " The ‘Swiss Made’ label is an empty shell" at this link for an interesting opinion:

http://www.europastar.com/europastar..._id=1000486686

There is also an interesting section on "swiss made" in Wikipedia which clearly defines how companies such as Tag are able to get away with this loose definiton for the last decade or so, taking advantage of the naive consumer while the executives clean up.

Tag is certainly not alone in these practices, but that is the brand being discussed here so that is why I mentioned them. Also it's not saying they are not well made watches either. My Asian made watches (Spring Drive Seiko's, etc) have been some of the least problematic and most beautiful, well made watches I have owned. Like I said earlier there is nothing wrong with a TAG but a potential buyer should be aware of what he is buying and not fed a bunch of Swiss Made fairy dust, IMO.
    I do read and understand the swiss made guidelines. But you would need to point me to a valid source that shows any chinese parts on a tag heuer. I'm not wanting to argue on this, I'm very laid back and enjoy conversations with other members. I'm also unaware of any parts on an omega that are chinese.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information