Prometheus Poseidon vs Deep Blue Daynight Rescue and a long explanation
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Prometheus Poseidon vs Deep Blue Daynight Rescue and a long explanation

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I wanted four watches, one white one black one blue and one gray. I've collected things all my life. Long enough to know that a) things don't really give any meaningful happiness, and b) there is no amount of money too large to fuel your hobby. My goal was not to buy as many watches as it took to sate my obsession, but to pick four that ticked all my checkboxes and satisfied my need to have a nice microcollection of automatics. A lifetime of collecting has taught me, if nothing else, to utilize the knowledge and experience of others and to choose wisely.

I got the gray in an Alpina Pilot Sunstar Automatic. I love everything about this watch and it's a keeper. Every aspect of how this watch is finished is superior compared to other watches I've owned. It's dressier, so it's my Saturday/interview/formal watch.
    Name:  IMG_0516.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  200.2 KB

I got the white last week in my Boschett Harpoon. After wearing this watch all week I love it to death and it's a keeper too.
    Name:  IMG_0585.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  1.28 MB

I have a blue preordered, the Borealis Seafarer II. I really like the look of this watch vs any other blue diver I've looked at and am looking forward to taking delivery of it.
    Name:  BOREALIS Seafarer II 07.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  351.6 KB

Which leaves black, which to me is the most important selection of all, the linchpin of the collection.

I run the laundry of a 1450 bed county jail. I break up less fights than I used to when I worked housing units and security, but I still have one pop off every now and then and have to go hands on. Plus I usually work a couple of overtimes a week, security about half the time, which puts me in harm's way. So it is a potentially watch wrecking work environment, and my day to day job is physical. I have that unconscious watch lover's radar, I'm always protecting my watches without even thinking about it, but stuff happens. That's why I only wear my Alpina on Saturdays when my work load is lighter, and it's why I'll probably never buy my grail, the Ball Skindiver II. Wearing the Harpoon all week I wondered if I would even notice wear on it, or would I even care. I like that, and it takes away any worry I might have about my watches, because after all, if I can't wear them to work, what good are they to me?

I should note that for my wrist 44-46mm seems to be ideal, so anything under 43mm is out of the running. Bracelet is mandatory, I am a bracelet guy.

So that said, here has been my thought process in selecting my black dial diver:

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  10.2 KB
    Oris Aquis
    I like but don't love it. I love and hate the bracelet. Polished links on the sides are deal breakers for me. It looks too dressy to wear to my job.

Name:  4350977b_xxl.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  83.3 KB
    Delma Shell Star
    Love the bracelet. Aluminum bezel insert is a deal breaker, but the bigger deal breaker is the fugly dial.

Name:  cff40ecec533c640d13d630e398adeba_large.jpg
Size:  418.8 KB
    Delma Periscope
    beautiful watch and ticks many boxes, but the deal breakers here are aluminum bezel insert and the complete lack of bezel lume

Name:  Armida date-day.JPG.opt383x431o0,0s383x431.JPG
Size:  26.9 KB
    Armida A4
    don't love it but it ticks many boxes, but then the deal is broken by the bezel insert not being ceramic or sapphire

Name:  SD45 SABL-1S.jpg.opt408x408o0,0s408x408.jpg
Size:  30.4 KB
    Helson Shark Diver 45
    my god those lugs. No.

Name:  HELBERG CH6 by H2O Watches 01.jpg
Size:  183.6 KB
    Helberg CH6
    I almost ordered one. I really do like this watch, but I'm a bracelet guy. No bracelet=deal broken.

other H2O products
    Overdesigned, too much going on, the designer just could not help himself. Less is more.

Name:  DM3108A-SCJ-BK_night.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  448.2 KB
    Ball Skindiver II
    My grail. Unfortunately, too much watch for my workplace and lifestyle. A watch that if I saved up for, I would have nowhere to wear it. I will have to content myself with admiring other people's.

Name:  252265804.png
Views: 367
Size:  104.7 KB
    Prometheus Poseidon
    The more I look at this the more I like it. Initially the single domed crystal was a deal breaker, but I've kind of warmed up to the idea of the quirky distortions it would provide. A current frontrunner.

Name:  daynight-rescue-automatic-18.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  441.1 KB
    Deep Blue Daynight Rescue Batman
    it ticks a lot of boxes for me. I wouldn't be afraid to wear it. My concern is that it wouldn't live up to the watches that I already have, but that may be a brand prejudice I had in my head that I am wrong about. It is kind of a poor man's Skindiver, so points there.

So that is where I sit currently, trying to decide between the Poseidon and the Daynight Rescue. So I am coming to you guys to either push me toward the right choice or offer an alternative that I haven't yet considered. Sorry for the long, multi pic post. I look forward to your responses, thank you.

I have a couple of suggestions but I also have a question: why not the Ball Skindiver? Just money or is it perception? It's not like people are going to know! Or you don't want to put it in harms way?

Now, I think it's funny that I think I'm going to be the first to go down this road: have you looked at the Seiko Shogun, Tuna or even MM300? Maybe even the SUN019...

Also I feel like there might be some German brands out there that might fit the bill. I'll let someone else chime in on those.

Too bad you don't like the polished bits on the Oris Aquis. I have one and it rocks and they are very reasonably priced right now. You may want to revisit.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you choose!

(P.S. Your job sounds exciting. I'm sure you have plenty of good stories!)
    Last edited by dsbe90; July 3rd, 2016 at 15:46.
    solar g-shocker likes this.

Re: Prometheus Poseidon vs Deep Blue Daynight Rescue and a long explanation

Im pleased with the Rescue, I also have a 3 hand Rescue, the Rescue offers alot of value.

Watches503 likes this.

Something about the Seiko styling never sat right with me. I like the Sinn U1, but if I was going to stretch for that I'd just keep going to the Skindiver.

Sounds like you need a beater g-shock for work and whatever you want for all other times....

Sorry to be that guy
    Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IN
    G-Shock DW-5200, GD-350, GW-6900

OUT
    G-Shock - a lot of them | Aquadive BS100 | Seiko: BFK's, Monsters, Tuna 007, 015 | Helberg/H2O: Kalmar 1, CH-1, CH-6 |
    Eterna: Super Koniti 1973 LE | Enzo: EMV, EM001 | Omega: Bond SMP | Zilla: Auto, Ti, SS | sAs: Sea Classic II | Maranez: Bangla Ti & Brass | Halios: Puck, Laguna, Holotype | Zixen: PVD Trimix | WCT: 1000m Seal clone, SS & DLC

I work two overtimes a week and commute one hour each way. I'd never wear anything but the GShock, so not an option.

You would love the Poseidon! I can't stop staring at that watch when I wear it.

Glad you bought the Boschett that is one watch I would never sell!
    MaDTempo, Watches503 and mlankton like this.

I would go for the dB. just seems tougher than Poseidon. I know it is 3500 rated blah blah but all that sapphire glass on top + being domed doesn't make it particularly durable for work beating.

I have both, the newer Poseidon with the yellow quarter bezel, black dial, and the "batman" 3 hand Rescue, which I wear on the DB silicone strap... (I also wear the Poseidon on a black/yellow Hirsh Robby strap... I do wish that Carlos would have done a different dome crystal or flat crystal on the Poseidon or used additional anti-glare, but other than that it is a stunning watch... The rescue is the only watch I took last week on a 4 day trip as it's perfect on the strap day or night, great comfort, easy to read and at night those T-100 flat tubes in blue and orange are so easy to read... If you want easy to read day and night, I'd go with the rescue- I will warn you that the bracelet can be a pain in the you know what to size- definitely some loctite on the screws, and it's probably best to get some curved spring bars as they way they put the lug holes in the case make it super difficult to put any kind of strap or mesh bracelet in there.. the bracelet on the Poseidon is very comfortable and easy to wear, I just wanted something I would be able to wear without worrying about scratching the finish, so I took it off and am keeping it on the strap.. Good luck with your choice and let us know which you end up with..
    Watches503 and mlankton like this.
    Barry
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

Big congrats on your recent purchases !
    That Alpina looks like a winner and I've always liked those Harpoons. Can't wait for our Seafarers to arrive soon !

I'd get that Ball if it was in my league. That bracelet really calls me.

My vote for next watch goes to Poseidon. I take both of mine to work all the time. It's definitely a more elegant piece but can be worn sporty with a bunch of straps.

If I was gonna get one of the Rescues, it would be the Batman or blue/blue/orange. It would have to be preowned and at a killer irresistibly low deal, maybe next year. Don't own any Batman diver yet so that may be deciding factor.
    Last edited by Watches503; July 3rd, 2016 at 21:31.
    WatchDialOrange and mlankton like this.
    Instagram: @watches503

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information