Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel - Page 13
Like Tree281Likes

Thread: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 193
  1. #121
    Member mitchjrj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

    Tale of two watches...

    Having seen so many new wristers I felt compelled to put the integrated rubber back on the Black. Wore that earlier today. Went out tonight and had on the Steel paired with RIOS Burnt Chestnut. For all their similarities it struck me how differently these two watches can present. The Black on rubber has a very purposeful appeal. The Steel on nice leather can take on a more formal vibe (not dressy by any means.) That bare steel bezel adds a bit of zing.

    Name:  magrette_mpp_black-on-wood.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  186.0 KB

    Name:  magrette_-5.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  254.2 KB

    Name:  magrette_moanapacific-steel_wrist.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  138.9 KB

    Name:  magrette_mpp_black+steel-handful-2.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  167.7 KB
    ___________________________________________

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  2. #122
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    285

    Re: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchjrj View Post
    Tale of two watches...

    Having seen so many new wristers I felt compelled to put the integrated rubber back on the Black. Wore that earlier today. Went out tonight and had on the Steel paired with RIOS Burnt Chestnut. For all their similarities it struck me how differently these two watches can present. The Black on rubber has a very purposeful appeal. The Steel on nice leather can take on a more formal vibe (not dressy by any means.) That bare steel bezel adds a bit of zing.

    Name:  magrette_mpp_black-on-wood.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  186.0 KB

    Name:  magrette_-5.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  254.2 KB

    Name:  magrette_moanapacific-steel_wrist.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  138.9 KB

    Name:  magrette_mpp_black+steel-handful-2.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  167.7 KB
    These pictures, man... is it true you're just using an iPhone? Or what setup? Sorry to hijack ;)

    On topic: is there a reason you all wind your Autos by hand? When I want to start my autos (eta/miyota/stp) I just whirl them around a bit to get the rotor turning and that's it...I never used the hand winding mechanism on them...


    Typed on an IBM typewriter.
    dumberdrummer likes this.

  3. #123
    Member mitchjrj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarak Trisaltuol View Post
    These pictures, man... is it true you're just using an iPhone? Or what setup?
    Hah. Yes, it is true...partly.

    No different than a $40K medium format camera back, an iPhone... or an old flip phone for that matter, is nothing more than a light capturing device. The only difference is fidelity and convenience. I have a link in my signature that explains this in more detail. That said, in the case of most of the photos on this thread and review I have used a Fuji XT-1 for a few reasons. As mentioned above is fidelity, the quality of the pixels is better. There is more dynamic range, less noise, and so forth. Plus I capture in RAW which has exponentially more data that I can manipulate in post. Secondly is convenience; while an iPhone is more convenient to just grab and shoot, the Fuji is more convenient to lock down and position as I have a tripod attachment for it (or rather an arm.) Other than these reasons there is no practical difference about what you can and can't photograph. For example, in the photos I just posted the solo shot of the MPP Steel is on the Fuji. The MPP Black, wrister and handful are with an iPhone 6. Both are capturing the same light source and setup. And the key...

    They have all been post-processed. Not one of the photos you see here is straight out of camera. That doesn't happen. You need a fundamentally good starting point - you can't create the light afterwards. But the shots are cleaned and then local contrast is selectively applied. And for that solo shot it's actually an amalgamation of I think three different exposures (the virtue of having a fixed camera position and static subject) where I couldn't get all the parts lit as I wanted so just segmented them. Oh, and closed down the crown which had been otherwise pulled to stop the hands.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tarak Trisaltuol View Post
    On topic: is there a reason you all wind your Autos by hand? When I want to start my autos (eta/miyota/stp) I just whirl them around a bit to get the rotor turning and that's it...I never used the hand winding mechanism on them...
    I never fully wind an auto, I'll just give it a few turns until it starts going. It's just as likely that I'll do the same as you, give it a few spins in my hand.
    Last edited by mitchjrj; March 17th, 2017 at 15:21.
    ___________________________________________

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  4. #124
    Member LesDavidson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    191

    Re: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchjrj View Post

    I never fully wind an auto, I'll just give it a few turns until it starts going. It's just as likely that I'll do the same as you, give it a few spins in my hand.
    This ^^^. The only reason I wound the watch on receiving it was to quickly gauge how accurately it was running.

    I normally give my automatics 5 - 10 turns if stopped before putting on my wrist to give them a good jump start. Have found in the past if I get them ticking by movement alone, if I'm then not overly energetic first thing they can lose time !

  5. #125
    Member mitchjrj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

    Quote Originally Posted by LesDavidson View Post
    Have found in the past if I get them ticking by movement alone, if I'm then not overly energetic first thing they can lose time !
    Constant force. Watch loses accuracy as winds down.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ___________________________________________

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  6. #126
    Member mitchjrj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

    You had to know this was coming. A bit of green for St. Patrick...

    Name:  magrette_mpp_steel-ZULUgreen.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  163.1 KB
    ___________________________________________

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  7. #127
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    285

    Re: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

    Thanks for the explanation, Mitch!


    Typed on an IBM typewriter.

  8. #128
    Member mitchjrj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

    Going a bit more rustic with the MPP Steel, this time with a leather NATO...

    Name:  magrette_mpp_steel-LeatherNATO.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  257.5 KB

    Name:  magrette_mpp_steel-LeatherNATOwrist.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  181.6 KB
    ___________________________________________

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  9. #129
    Member DEMO111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    6,736

    Re: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

    Great new shots Mitch.
    kpjimmy likes this.
    Dive watch fanatic since 1980
    Hidden Content

  10. #130
    Member mitchjrj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

    New pairing, on a Panatime Classic "Desert Dweller" Golden Vintage. Works great this combination of light tones.

    Name:  magrette_mpp_steel-sand.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  122.7 KB

    Name:  magrette_mpp_steel-sand-2.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  204.4 KB
    hondowatch2, kpjimmy and cubizmo like this.
    ___________________________________________

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 15th, 2016, 21:27
  2. MAGRETTE Moana Pacific Professional STEEL
    By Watchuseek Feeds in forum Bloggers United
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 14th, 2016, 00:20
  3. MAGRETTE Moana Pacific Professional BLACK
    By Watchuseek Feeds in forum Bloggers United
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 17th, 2016, 13:20
  4. FS- Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black PVD
    By Mdoyle1122 in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 8th, 2016, 00:37
  5. FS: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional (black PVD)
    By Soulspawn in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: June 22nd, 2014, 05:37

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •