Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel - Page 5
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Re: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

This waterman Moana is simply superb. The same in steel brushed and with markers to super luminova c3 or BGW9 and I buy immediately

Trying a different combo today, Steel on RIOS1931 Navy. Hard to tell in the photo but it is in fact a blue strap, just quite dark and fairly muted. For reference you can see its tone in the strap collection shot posted earlier (second from the left.) Black and blue can be tricky together, but the Steel works well here because there is less black, and because of its natural cool demeanour.

Name:  magrette_mppsteel-RIOSblue.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  198.7 KB

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

If there is a more thorough review, I'd like to see it. The level of detail in your review is awesome. I like the classic, luxurious look of the Magrette Moana. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
    thomisking likes this.

Out of my own curiosity I decided to do a small thought experiment. In comparing the Black and Steel I previously noted that the difference between the two goes beyond simply having brushed black vs bare steel bezel inserts. That the choice of insert impacts the visual weight of each. On the MPP Black we perceive, at least at a glance, the black dial and black bezel together. Pared down to the simplest of forms you get this (yes, this is exactly to scale)...

Name:  mpp_black-on-white.png
Views: 415
Size:  17.3 KB

What about the MPP Steel? The bare insert now recedes into the case and our immediate perception is just the dial proper. The eye is drawn to contrast, more specifically when something jumps out. It can be the brightest thing in a dark field, or the darkest in a light field. It's the contrast that hits you. So this presents very differently...

Name:  mpp_steel-on-white.png
Views: 418
Size:  16.4 KB

Depending on your personal perception, you may see the bottom image as having a larger case given all that extra negative space around the dial. Or you may perceive a smaller watch as you gravitate towards the smaller field of black. I wager the contrast against your skin complexion would also impact this. To the extreme...

Name:  mpp_black-on-black.png
Views: 416
Size:  14.9 KB

Name:  mpp_steel-on-black.png
Views: 417
Size:  14.0 KB

Now how do these appear to you? Maybe more relevant looking side-by-side...

Name:  mpp_black+steel-white-field.png
Views: 414
Size:  64.9 KB

Name:  mpp_black+steel-black-field.png
Views: 414
Size:  59.1 KB

Of course the dial and bezel are physically separate, and there are markings that draw your attention. So these abstracts seem preposterous, no? What if you squint at the real thing? I'll do it for you...

Name:  mpp_squint.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  178.1 KB

Do one of these look larger than the other to you?

The point of this was first because I was curious myself to test this graphic comparison. But, second, because there are many who are struggling over which to buy. Maybe this will help one way or another. Or maybe you think I'm just full of ..... ;) For folks who are not sure if the watch will fit a smaller wrist this might be particularly relevant. Something that is (perceptually) all big black dial may read as bigger than something that is lighter toned that reads as a smaller dial.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Added a couple of case detail shots to the review...

Name:  magrette_mpp-case.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  152.9 KB

Name:  magrette_mpp-case-2.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  95.2 KB

And posted these "handfuls" in Demo's thread but figured I would include them here for posterity.

Name:  MPP_black+steel2.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  835.3 KB
    [RIOS1931 Classic Brown on left, Slate on right]

Name:  magrette_mpp-RIOS.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  285.1 KB
    [RIOS1931 Navy on left, Burnt Chestnut on right]
    Craustin1 and kpjimmy like this.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mitchjrj View Post
    Out of my own curiosity I decided to do a small thought experiment. In comparing the Black and Steel I previously noted(...)
    Wow. I can't recall when I have read any review that went into this depth. Congratulations, the comparison is extremely helpful and sound. Also, you're making it ever harder to wait for my MPP black, which, as always, I hope will be in the mail tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    kpjimmy likes this.
    "There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full."
    Henry A. Kissinger, June 1 1969

Great review! You are very accurate with all your findings and observations. I still have this on my wrist since receiving it :)

There was one point in your review about the date window which I totally agree on. I personally feel this watch does not need the date window and asthetically works without it. For some reason it becomes lost when not in the 3 or 6 o'clock position.

If I can explain it well enough this is the one functionality I wish was built into the watch. The outer edge of the face has 10, 30 and 35 minute marker which has always fascinated me on how it could work but ultimately only serves as a decorative nature of the watch. I do wish that this was on a rotating slider that could be independently set with a crown (similar to the 12 hour rotating slider). Do you guys understand what I mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by robert_shaw View Post
    Great review! You are very accurate with all your findings and observations. I still have this on my wrist since receiving it :)

There was one point in your review about the date window which I totally agree on. I personally feel this watch does not need the date window and asthetically works without it. For some reason it becomes lost when not in the 3 or 6 o'clock position.

If I can explain it well enough this is the one functionality I wish was built into the watch. The outer edge of the face has 10, 30 and 35 minute marker which has always fascinated me on how it could work but ultimately only serves as a decorative nature of the watch. I do wish that this was on a rotating slider that could be independently set with a crown (similar to the 12 hour rotating slider). Do you guys understand what I mean by this?
    I totally understand your comments before and have thought about such a thing myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by robert_shaw View Post
    The date is placed at 4:30 precisely so as not to detract from the details of dial/upset its symmetry (so that aesthetically it's not there - "becomes lost"). Here are two examples from my horolgoical past (don't have curatorship of either watch anymore) and a third that I still enjoy having in my rotation, where this was done for that reason. I also have a Magrette MPP G-14 (grey dial) that I love:

1. Sinn EZM3

Name:  20161105_081346-large.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  446.1 KB

Note how the red on black background date wheel can be completely ignored when glancing at the watch face, resulting in a watch that is supremely legible in a work environment (these are designed for use by military and law enforcement).

2. Armida A2

Name:  P1000854-large.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  527.3 KB

Here the placement of the date serves two functions: it allows the date function to be added to a watch that pays homage to a watch that did not have this feature (Rolex Submariner 5517) and it does so without disrupting the balance of the dial.

3. OWC Snowflake (only of these three watches that I still have)

Name:  20140808_071125-large.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  46.0 KB

In this case, the Tudor Submariner that the OWC references was produced with the date at 3 o'clock but the decision was made to place the date at 4:30 to preserve the symmetry of the dial.

Superd review and product photography.
    Fun with vintage & micro......mostly vintage.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information