Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel - Page 9
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Superb review!
    I got mine today and am impressed. One thing I am surprised nobody except Quicksilver has mentioned though, is the strap me. I have a 7.5" wrist and am using the second to last hole, with 7 more holes for wrists larger than 7.5" - up to around 9.5".
    With many more people having 6.5"-7.5" range wrists than 7.5"-9.5" range wrists I would have thought that the strap could have benefitted from some more thought.
    Fantastic watch for the money though - I am off to Thailand for a week's diving today and will be taking it.
    kpjimmy likes this.

Re: Review: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Black & Steel

Quote Originally Posted by soukchai View Post
    I have a 7.5" wrist and am using the second to last hole, with 7 more holes for wrists larger than 7.5" - up to around 9.5".
    So is that to say you feel the strap is too long for most wrists? I agree on the excess strap length for smaller to average wrists (mine is 7") but that's a malady common to most if not all of my rubber dive straps. And in the context of a dive watch where it may need to actually wrap around a thicker dive suit this makes sense. It needs to be longer for actual diving which can be a pain for desk diving.

That said, this is where the value of a fold-over clasp really shows itself. Think the absolutely superb Oris Aquis clasp. Best of both worlds as the excess tail is hidden but available when needed. I'd love to see that here.

Option two would be for Magrette to offer a small strap option in addition to the current/standard size. But with just a single strap size I'd say the longer format is legitimate for the intended purpose.

You can minimize the impact of the excess tail by boiling a curve into it. You can see in the photo I posted in the review how the strap sits stock and after curving. See that the clasp is actually open on that shot on the left? The strap actually sits naturally that tightly curved around. Which results in the left over tail literally snapped tight against the underlying strap other than poking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    ...confirm that a deposit made at this point will apply towards pre-order pricing for the pending production run, and that it will include the chocolate brown leather and NATO straps in addition to the custom rubber strap.
    I left a message with Dion and he responded that pre-order pricing/offer will go to March 13th. That's presuming there is still availability. I saw on the Magrette EU site that they only had 4-5 of the Black left.

audio.bill likes this.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Fantastic, detailed and honest review.

I'd get one in a heartbeat if it was a bit smaller, but the specs are too much for my modest 6.75" wrist.
    At Work

IWC Portuguese
    3714-45 \ Rolex Explorer 214270 \ Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114300 \ IWC Ingenieur 3239 \ Omega Speedmaster Professional \ Rolex Submariner 114060 \ Tudor Black Bay 79220N \ Montblanc Meisterstuck Moonphase \ Montblanc Heritage Chronometrie Dual Time \ Bruno Sohnle Rondomat \ Ball Fireman Victory

At Play

Hexa
    Osprey \ Damasko DA46 \ Sinn EZM 3 \ Sinn 857 UTC Testaf \ NTH Nacken Modern

Follow me on Instagram: mtravis38

Quote Originally Posted by mitchjrj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soukchai View Post
    I have a 7.5" wrist and am using the second to last hole, with 7 more holes for wrists larger than 7.5" - up to around 9.5".
    So is that to say you feel the strap is too long for most wrists? I agree on the excess strap length for smaller to average wrists (mine is 7") but that's a malady common to most if not all of my rubber dive straps. And in the context of a dive watch where it may need to actually wrap around a thicker dive suit this makes sense. It needs to be longer for actual diving which can be a pain for desk diving.
    I agree with that - it is sized well to wear over a cold water wetsuit - but as a stock strap it doesn't suit 99% of customers. I am a lifelong regular diver myself, and the strap length would work well when diving in NZ at 15deg C with a 7mm suit. But for non-divers, who probably make up 75% of Magrette customers, and for warm water divers who wear a shorty suit or 2-3mm suit and make up 20% of the remaining 25%, the extra strap length is superfluous.

On top of that, for a regular diver using this watch they would probably swap the supplied strap for a NATO when diving anyway, to reduce the chances of losing it through popping a springbar.

It is a great watch though - very nice - I just thought that the strap length range selection was odd.

I get what you mean... the vast majority of divers won't be worn for actual diving, so straps sized as such won't be ideal in normal wear. But I still don't agree the length choice was odd or that it's unusually long - it's consistent with similar straps. I have Bonetto Cinturini and DB HYDRO-91 straps that both roll around with excess in the same way. Likewise the rubber on the Aquis I'm wearing now.

Bottom line is one strap length is unlikely to please everyone so a shorter option would be welcome.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mitchjrj View Post
    I left a message with Dion and he responded that pre-order pricing/offer will go to March 13th. That's presuming there is still availability. I saw on the Magrette EU site that they only had 4-5 of the Black left.
    Thanks so much for confirming these details, my friend is now going ahead with his order!

Another crown and bezel shot of the Black...

Name:  magrette_mpp_black-dramatic.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  magrette_mpp_black-dramatic-2.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  103.7 KB
    Last edited by mitchjrj; March 5th, 2017 at 18:41.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Mitchjrj... As I know he will be busy, I don't want to pester Dion to find out when my order will be shipped, but the anticipation is killing me and these pics aren't helping!

Do you know how long it is likely to be until the last pre-orders are dispatched?

Hey Les

Wish I could offer some info but I can't... as in don't know. You'd have to ask Dion. Are you part of the first bolus of pre-orders as I wager those should be out the door by this point. Last I saw the second half isn't until end of April.

Good things come to he who waits.

Quote Originally Posted by LesDavidson View Post
    Mitchjrj... As I know he will be busy, I don't want to pester Dion to find out when my order will be shipped, but the anticipation is killing me and these pics aren't helping!

Do you know how long it is likely to be until the last pre-orders are dispatched?
    LesDavidson likes this.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information