Thread: Risk for screw down crown - re-setting automatic watches

Risk for screw down crown - re-setting automatic watches

Hello!

I would like to ask you to share your expirience on the risk of frequent re-setting the time of an automatic with a screw down crown.

The watch I have in mind is a TISSOT PRC200 automatic and although it is not a diver, I guess here I can receive the answer to my question.

As it is going to be a daily wearer, I will need to re-set the time often (between 1 and 4 times a month, depending on its accuracy). I was hoping that some of you could tell me how dangerous could this frequent unscrewing-screwing procedure be for the thread of the crown.

Thank you in advance!

Re: Risk for screw down crown - re-setting automatic watches

Good choice going with the PRC200 - Only had one bad experience cross-threading a screw down crown - when I set the time on my wife's 200T Doxa for the first time, so I think I'm up for a new tube in the next service. Seriously dont think cross threading is gong to be a problem with the PRC200..... Subsequently I've learnt to make push the crown in while making one turn backwards before advancing the crown in order to engage the threads on all my watches.

Although I don't, I think resetting the time each week should be ok with modern materials and manufacturing specifications. I regulate the timing of my watches by understanding which position the watches gain/lose time and place the watch in the desired position when I'm not wearing it.

If it's going to be your "daily wearer" then I don't see it being necessary to reset the watch 1-4 times a month depending on it's accuracy. Most modern automatic watches have enough power reserve to keep it running for the odd days you might not wear it.

That being siad, just be careful screwing down the crown & get to know it's "feel" when setting & locking.

Dave

1-4x a month is not alot in the first place.
    As said above, just don't force the crown if the threads aren't lined up.
    You'll be fine.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Thank you very much!

The problem is not the power reserve. The problem is that the accuracy of such type and grade of movements requires more frequent re-set of the time. I have a PRC200 quartz, but it runs ~+10 sec. per month, so I unscrew the crown only to correct the date (if I notice, because I do not wear it). I am used to re-setting the time of my 7S26 Seiko 5 - a daily wearer - once a week (when it has gained ~ 1 min.). I have no problem with this weekly procedure, but the crown is not "screw-down" type. However, the TISSOT PRC200 automatic is expected to have a screw-down crown, that is why I decided to ask whether the frequent unscrewing and screwing could damage the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    1-4x a month is not alot in the first place.
    As said above, just don't force the crown if the threads aren't lined up.
    You'll be fine.
    This is what I wanted to read
    Last edited by shtora; January 25th, 2010 at 16:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Joukowski View Post
    Subsequently I've learnt to make push the crown in while making one turn backwards before advancing the crown in order to engage the threads on all my watches.

Although I don't, I think resetting the time each week should be ok with modern materials and manufacturing specifications. I regulate the timing of my watches by understanding which position the watches gain/lose time and place the watch in the desired position when I'm not wearing it.
    Good advice - push the crown in and turn backwards until you feel the threads engage and note how your watch gains or looses a bit when set down overnight. You can also set your watch a bit behind or ahead and you'll be able to go twice as long between time changes.

That said, eventually you'll probably mess up the threads - it just takes one time of inattention to damage them. It's not a huge problem and it can be inexpensively repaired. I have a couple of manual wind watches with screw down crowns and I'm much more concerned with those - they need to be wound daily! So far so good with those...

I agree: use the "backthreading" method of screwing down and you should have no issues. This is how I screw down all my watches and it's a very effective way of avoiding cross-threading.
    "Using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation." - Bruce Lee

I think that over time wear and tear will take it's toll on the crown and spring. You could do like I do on my Seamaster, I set mine on October 31, to 40 seconds slow, and since that time as I checked today it is 10 seconds fast, so it has gained a total of 50 seconds in 76 days. If you know the rate of time gained or loss per day just set it so watch can speed up or slow down so you don't have to set it so often.

I wouldn't be such a stickler for having it correct all the time!
    Bulova Accutron
    Hamilton "Golden Boy"
    Tissot Ballade
    Casio G Shock GW2500-A1
    Omega Seamaster 212.30.41.20.01.002

OCDish I know, but I never use the crown: I ignore the date function and set the time by letting the power reserve expire and shaking the watch at the right time. Easy.
    Best regards

Steve

Thread Information