Rolex vs Omega - Page 2
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Rolex vs Omega

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Rolex vs Omega

Omega for me, I'm also not a diver but would there be a difference in Dive performance?
    I think Omega also offers more in the way of choice and variation.

The seamaster with the chronograph when diving is actually usable. There are decompression stops that need to be timed and monitored if you're not using a dive computer. The Seamaster is the only dive watch made period that can use the chronograph function under water to the rated depth. No other watch made today or ever ( I believe) can you manipulate the pushers at rated depth. They are only functional out of the water.

I dive with a seamaster

I own a Rolex 14060 and an Omega Seamaster 300. I also bought my wife an Omega Seamaster Professional in 2003. We both dive and if I had to choose I would rather dive with the Rolex.

That being said I tend to dive with a Casio Edifice. I recently bought a Steinhart OVM and plan to use that from now on while my wife uses a Citizen Ecodrive diver.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that because we dive for fun these days neither of us would want to risk an expensive timepiece when we have dive computers. Sure, dive computers can fail but I think the inexpensive watches we have is more than sufficient to time a deco or safety stop.

Buy whatever you you prefer and dive with whatever you like. It's your money.
    boomguy57 likes this.
    Omega Seamaster 300
    Rolex Submariner 14060
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Military
    Casio Edifice 200m
    Polar RCX5

go sub.... omega is an A+ watch too though

Quote Originally Posted by JJHACK1 View Post
    The seamaster with the chronograph when diving is actually usable. There are decompression stops that need to be timed and monitored if you're not using a dive computer. The Seamaster is the only dive watch made period that can use the chronograph function under water to the rated depth. No other watch made today or ever ( I believe) can you manipulate the pushers at rated depth. They are only functional out of the water.

I dive with a seamaster
    I remember an old thread that had a list of chrono's that could be used under water.
    List of Chronographs that can be used underwater
    Omega Seamaster Pro Chronograph
    Omega Apnea
    Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph
    Ball Hydrocarbon Trieste
    Ball EMII Diver Chrono
    IWC Aquatimer Chronograph (not sure about the newest 2000 models)
    JLC Master Compressor Diving Chronograph
    UTS 600M Pro Diver Chrono
    Sinn U1000
    Breitling Avenger Seawolf Chronograph
    Breitling Chrono Avenger M
    Ebel 1911 Discovery Chronograph
    Tag Heuer Aquagraph
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Chronograph

And I've just been told by EBEL Service that the Discovery 1911 Chronograph can also be used underwater because of a double gasket feature.
    mleok, wristclock and h2connected like this.
    Nam 67-69 USMC

There would never be a time I would choose an Omega over a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fridaysniper View Post
    I own a Rolex 14060 and an Omega Seamaster 300...
    As do I, and both are fine watches. Not to mention they are fully up to the task if used as divers. The nice thing about the 14060 is that it will not lose its value, and (ipso facto) will always have a market. While most of the depreciation is already built into to the SMP if purchased used, it's highly unlikely to fetch a higher price years to come. Not so with the 14060.
    Fridaysniper likes this.
    “I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.” Umberto Eco

Panerai * Rolex * Omega * Ball * AEgir * Mühle-Glashütte * Oris * Archimede * Seiko * Magrette * Padron

I know Rolex makes fantastic watches (they'd better be for the $), but Omega does too and I honestly think Rolex seems a bit cliche to me. If I was going to drop over $2K on a watch I would always choose Omega over Rolex.
    Current Watches:

*1950's Omega Seamaster
    *Android Octopus
    *Tissot Seastar Powermatic 80
    *Seiko PADI Turtle
    *Bulova Accutron II Snorkel
    *Seiko 5 Military *
    *Orient Blue Mako
    *Laco Squad
    *Vostok Amphibia
    *Ocean7 LM-3 V2
    *Seiko SKX007
    *Seiko SNZJ61

Rolex vs Omega

Quote Originally Posted by SomeAssemblyRequired View Post
    As do I, and both are fine watches. Not to mention they are fully up to the task if used as divers. The nice thing about the 14060 is that it will not lose its value, and (ipso facto) will always have a market. While most of the depreciation is already built into to the SMP if purchased used, it's highly unlikely to fetch a higher price years to come. Not so with the 14060.
    Yes indeed. My wife has a Seamaster Professional that I got for her as a first anniversary gift. Cost £1100 brand new and probably is not much more than that now. My Omega is a vintage Seamaster 300 that cost 3 months wages in 1966 and is probably worth about £3000 today. (Not that I'll ever sell it).

The 14060 was about £3000 new and is probably worth at least that these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fridaysniper; 2 Weeks Ago at 21:40.
    Omega Seamaster 300
    Rolex Submariner 14060
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Military
    Casio Edifice 200m
    Polar RCX5

I work in Bicycle Retail/Service. Today a customer (retired USMC) came in and purchased a road helmet and shoes. He was wearing a brand new Blue Omega Seamaster Chrono. The red hands really popped on it. I commented how great it looked. He said thanks then added he had purchased a new white Explorer II but could not bond with it. Returned it and left with the Seamaster! I would choose the Sub ND over a Bond but would have a difficult time choosing between it and a Seamaster 300. Everyone has different tastes, try them and get what your prefer

Quote Originally Posted by Vlance View Post
    There would never be a time I would choose an Omega over a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    diver1954 likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information