WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Rolex vs Omega

17K views 41 replies 40 participants last post by  joelps 
#1 ·
Okay here is the question

which diver watch is the better watch

it is between the Rolex Submariner 14060

and the Omega Seamaster Professional with the Ceramic bezel

i see that the new subc is compared to the omega smpc, even the tudor bb is compared.

but factoring in price it looks like the 14060 is most close in price to the smpc.

soooooooo which one is the better buy? the sub goes for at best 4500 on the grey market
while the smpc goes for around 2000 on the for sale sub on here.

which one is it gonna be??

#31 ·
As the last comment suggests, there is a difference in how these wear.
I have older versions of the Seamaster (blue wave face), and a two-tone Sub with black face. I bought both for different reasons. After living with them, I found I much prefer the lighter weight Sub. Still substantial feeling, but not quite as big, or heavy.
YMMV

#32 · (Edited)
I had this internal debate too until I went and tried them both on and listened to what shop owners and watch aficionados actually said if you listened close enough. The Rolex is great. It's timeless, a good "investment", a tried and true timepiece, but (here's the close enough part) the Omega is a better watch. Well made, more accurate, and not what everyone else is wearing. I paid a little less than $2900 for my Omega PO 8500XL. It is every bit as good a watch or better than a $6000 Sub or SeaDweller. Do I still want a Rolex, of course, but the Omega FAR exceeds my expectations and makes me smile every day. I get compliments and stares because it is super rare to see one. I have seen 3 in Orlando. I see 3 Rolex's a day. No offense to Rolex folk, like I said, I will buy a Rolex down the road. However I don't feel the need to anymore. I will never lose money on my Omega at the price I paid. If I do, then gosh darn it, it's mine forever! Tough life. The Omega has a 60+ hour reserve and mine runs +/-2 seconds a day at most. It's a beast.

As always, buy what is best for you. What moves you and speaks to you, but don't ever let anyone tell you the Omega is not a Rolex. It's one hell of a great watch and can stand on it's own.

#33 ·
I don't have a sub but i absolutely adore my smpc. For the price, 2 grand is tough to beat. Can't go wrong with a sub though eek tough decision good luck. Not to eff up ur program but I recommend a 16600 :O

#35 ·
The Rolex Submariner without question. Here is a read you may like Rolex Rolex Submariner 14060M Review

Okay here is the question

which diver watch is the better watch

it is between the Rolex Submariner 14060

and the Omega Seamaster Professional with the Ceramic bezel

i see that the new subc is compared to the omega smpc, even the tudor bb is compared.

but factoring in price it looks like the 14060 is most close in price to the smpc.

soooooooo which one is the better buy? the sub goes for at best 4500 on the grey market
while the smpc goes for around 2000 on the for sale sub on here.

which one is it gonna be??

#38 ·
These days I think it's more important to just get the one you like. As far as functionality while diving, I think the Sub wins. But it's important to mention that everyone uses dive computers these days anyway. I actually don't even dive with my nicer watches out of fear that something might happen to them. My advice is to just follow your gut and get the one that appeals most to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.