Seiko PADI SRPA21 Turle - Bezel finishing?

Thread: Seiko PADI SRPA21 Turle - Bezel finishing?

Seiko PADI SRPA21 Turle - Bezel finishing?

Just rec'd a new SRPA21 PADI. First impressions very positive. This is my third "Turtle" so I had a good baseline on what to expect.

Saying that, one item does not seem right. The top inner edge of the bezel feels excessively sharp, almost unfinished. Referring to the inner edge that extends slightly above the bezel insert. The two other Turtles are fine. Also, I have three SKX divers which have the same bezel (I believe) and none of them feel sharp like the PADI.

Curious if other SRPA21 owners have noticed this or is it just my sample. I'm reluctant to return it but also feel it is borderline safety hazard. I can see absentmindedly grabbing the bezel to twist and potentially cutting myself or perhaps accidentally scrapping something with the edge.

This PADI is a really "sharp" watch in more ways than one.
    Last edited by MacInFL; 17 Hours Ago at 22:01.

Re: Seiko PADI SRPA21 Turle - Bezel finishing?

My Pepsi bezel also feel a bit "sharp." I can only feel it when I run my finger along the top of the watch (not when I'm turning the bezel). However, it's not nearly sharp enough to actually cut my finger. If you can actually draw blood on yours I would say return it.

PS - Yes I stroke my watches!

In my quest to find an SKX173 without issues (4 so far, finally had to buy a modded one that was good), I've come across a couple with "sharp" bezels. Wouldn't worry about it unless you can draw blood from it like AceRimmer said.

Just another fantastic example of amazing modern Seiko quality.
    Currently
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay (Grail!), Fortis B-42 Official Cosmonauts Chronograph (Grail!), Aquadive BS100 GMT Orange (Grail!), Dan Henry 1970 Orange, Dan Henry 1963 Black, Deep Blue NATO Diver 300, Bulova Moon Watch 9B251, Bulova Precisionist 98B212, Casio OCEANUS OCW-G1000-1AJF Waveceptor Titanium, Marathon TSAR, Bathys Hawaii Benthic Black/PVD, Sharkey 6105 Homage, many more
    Seiko
    Prospex SRP773 modded, Prospex SRP775 modded, Prospex SUN019, SKX173 modded, SKX173, SNDA65, SNA225, SNZH53
    Vostok
    Amphibia SE 150RE2L2 "Baikonir" (Grail!), Amphibia 110725, Amphibia SE 020677S, Amphibia 710059, Amphibia 110916, Kommandirski, V-E N1 Raketa x2
    On Way
    Seiko 6309-7040 6/'83

I just checked mine & it's not sharp. The bezel insert is recessed a bit and the inner edge of the bezel does stick up a tiny bit relative to the insert, but I certainly wouldn't call it sharp at all.
    Current Watches:

*1950's Omega Seamaster
    *Android Octopus
    *Tissot Seastar Powermatic 80
    *Seiko PADI Turtle
    *Bulova Accutron II Snorkel
    *Seiko 5 Military *
    *Orient Blue Mako
    *Laco Squad
    *Vostok Amphibia
    *Ocean7 LM-3 V2
    *Seiko SKX007
    *Seiko SNZJ61

My Padi turtle bezel has no sharp edges but i have others that are sorta sharp but nothing with enough bite to draw blood.
    Just Keep Livin

More I think about it, another mystery is solved. As background, the watch arrived in a nice white flip top presentation style box inside of an outer white two piece box. The inside of the presentation box was all black with a top velvet cloth liner with the Seiko logo printed in silver. The watch was on a black velvet pillow.

When I first took the watch out of the box, it had a light coating of some dark substance. My first thought it was some type of oily grime but it wiped away easily. At the moment, I was so excited over getting/inspecting the watch that I didn't give it much thought. Later I noticed the silver printed logo of the top liner was worn away slightly. Very "un-Seiko" but didn't know what to make of it.

Putting it all together now, the mysterious dark substance was "shaved" residue from the upper velvet liner and silver paint from the Seiko logo where the bezel of the watch had rubbed during shipping and handling. What that says is the edge of the bezel is sharp enough to scrape the knap of the velvet lining of the box.

At this point, I'm trying to decide whether to return the watch or try to mod/de-horn the dull the edge of the bezel. Regarding the latter, my concern is whether I can do it without marring the bezel insert or the bezel itself. Another concern about doing it in place is exposing the watch to fine dust in such close proximity. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thread Information