Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Sentimental Value vs. Reality

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sentimental Value vs. Reality

This is my 11+ year old Seiko SKX007j. It has logged more bottom time than pretty much any other dive watch in my collection:

As you know, this is not an expensive watch, and as you also know, many of us are quite fond of our old Seiko divers. Cheap divers such as these invariably create a dilemma - do you spend money servicing them or spend about the same money and replace them? I'm have replaced the stem and crystal and given the old girl a service, so there's my answer. I have spent more on the watch than it's worth, and I'm just fine with that, even though I could have saved money and had a brand new 007. Any other sentimental fools out there?
    Medusa, Imitrex and brighter like this.
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Chronosport UDT Type IIa, Marathon GSAR, Steinhart Ocean GMT Vintage, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Ollech & Wajs M-4S, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007J, Garmin Fenix

Re: Sentimental Value vs. Reality

You did right.Some watches are integral to a gentleman.This one is thus for you.
    Medusa likes this.

Same here, this is my most sentimental watch. I had this watch before I ever even considered watch collecting. I think this 007 has more on the wrist hours than all my watches put together. It's case and crystal are burned up pretty bad from welding slag but it still works great. If or when it stops working, I will give it the full resto-mod treatment. Some of the 007 mods I have seen on the forum are extremely cool.

Name:  18Alogo.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  269.5 KB

Alberta / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

I think that's the absolutely right thing to do. Sentimental value might be intangible, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have a similar watch (the 007's smaller version), and it's been similar places with me - far and away the watch I dive with most frequently. It's going on 5 years old now, and, when it needs a service, I'll be spending money on getting it done. It's worth it.
    Medusa likes this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay; Rolex Air King; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Suunto Ambit 2

Strictly Diving:
    Seiko SKX013K1 Diver's 200M; Shearwater Research Predator

Others:
    Hamilton Khaki Automatic; Suunto M5; Tissot PRS200; Jorg Gray 6500

I've spent a lot of money fixing and keeping my 20 year old aqualand duplex looking and running like new so I know how you feel. It was my first dive watch and will be with me as long as I'm here.
    Last edited by Diverrad; April 3rd, 2013 at 00:05.
    Medusa likes this.

Most watch value is based on feel. Any one of a 100 threads on here talks about after "it tells time and its waterproof" it's all about loving it. If you love it, its worth it.
    Medusa likes this.
    "I'm just here to regulate the funkiness"

James Gandolfini in The Mexican

I will definitely spend more on a watch than it is worth..In the age of disposable everything I see my watches as something that is less disposable than my other possessions. Although I do own a few relatively cheap watches, I do not see them as throw away junk. My watchmaker is very fair and pretty cheap so I usually get taken care of.
    Calm down.....It's just a watch....

i have my rolex 16610 from 1999 that is very sentimental i will not sell for any price. need a new 600$ more or less service after a 7 years from the last but i am happy to spent when i have the money.
    is more easy for me to sell and buy a new one but if i sell this one i will regret a LOT!
    Alessio Scala

Rolex GMT Master 2 - 116710LN
    Rolex Submariner - 114060

Omega Speedy pro - 3570.50.00

You did the right thing. Hold on to that one.

While I likely would not have done this, but you absolutely did the right thing. If a watch has significant sentimental value it worth whatever the cost to service/restore it.
    In the works: RGM '801 ES Motor Barrel'

"The stuff that dreams are made of…"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information