Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype! - Page 10
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Re: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

Quote Originally Posted by nellipj View Post
    Not one of those watches taper down to 16mm. If you have ever handled an original 300 or 300T bracelet with separate beads of rice you would understand why tapering to 20mm make more sense. 16mm is too narrow and flimsy with the individual BOR bracelet. 24/20 taper works great here.
    Regarding the tapering, I personally dislike straight bracelets/bands because I find them uncomfortable, after all the wrist is supposed to bend.

IMO a good comprimise would be a 18mm tapering at the clasp like the 1499 Omega of my Speedmaster:

It is the strongest bracelet I have and it's also comfortable and not bulky at all...the first link might be 22mm to give the "integrated" look with the case typical of watches from the 70s, like my Longines which tapers from 22 to 18 and it's as sturdy as a folded links bracelet from the 70s might be:

That's my 0.02 € opinion, of course.

I'd looooove to see if this bracelet will fit the current line of 1200T's. 20mm lugs, 24mm outter width tapering to 18mm. Could put a Seiko MarineMaster clasp on it :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM
    I am fortunate enough to own two Doxas (Pro and Searambler 1200t) and thought I had 'enough' for one lifetime. While I wished I had a Diving With Legends (my favorite 1200t), something tells me this Anniversary Doxa is the one to own (at least the 'new one'). For those more knowledgeable than I about Doxa history (i.e., most of you), would you agree?
    John,

I will not claim that I am more knowledgeable about Doxa than you are; I'm a newbie too, "discovered" the brand in 2010. That's when I also realized that I had forgotten about it, because I did come across Doxa in the DP novels and movie. So take this as a full disclaimer before assigning value to my opinion.

My timing was perfect, when I (re)discovered the Doxa brand in 2010 there were still DWL's up for grabs and with no hesitation (okay, little) I landed 11/99. Only a short time later, I guess I was still mentally recovering from the purchase (read: purchase price) I hesitated too long and missed out on the Turquoise Numa and the 600T Graph (Searambler). I vowed this would never happen again.

So when Doxa had the big Thanksgiving sale on 750 GMT's I made my quickest ever watch-purchase ..... very happy with my yellow Divingstar. Likewise, when I saw the post about the 50th Anniversary LE, I didn't even read the full thread and the other one, just clicked the link and secured one. It was only later that evening that I read that there will be 3 versions / colors; the link that was up defaulted to the Professional (nothing wrong with Orange) but I'm still contemplating whether I should get the Searambler instead.

Too many words; what am I saying here? My take on it is yes, this is the one to get .... you may even let one of your 1200's go (mind you, not both) but you will regret not getting this one. Of that I'm sure.

Good luck and apologies for the long answer.

Question to others here: any chance for pics of the original 300's in all 3 colors? Much appreciated and many thanks in advance.
    JohnM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DOXA Forum Administrator 1 View Post
    ...so it tapers from 24mm down to 20mm just after the end link.

Thanks,
    Customer Care
    DOXA Watches
    Are you saying only 1 link (one next to the endlink) tapers? The rest (removable and non removable) are all 20mm?

I remember being on a dive watch forum (before this one existed for Doxa) when the 2002 Re-Issue SUB 300T was coming out. The discussions were endless and it was fun to see everyone's written reactions. Some loved it for there finally being a "new" orange faced Doxa dive watch. Some hated the lack of dwarf hour hand and lack of a beads of rice bracelet. When the began to arrive at people's front doors, the love for the watch ruled.

I haven't seen this much excitement since 2002! Very fun again!

Quote Originally Posted by pipers
    Are you saying only 1 link (one next to the endlink) tapers? The rest (removable and non removable) are all 20mm?
    I don't think that's what DFA1 is saying and it's definitely not what we're seeing here:

Name:  IMG_3325.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  782.9 KB

The other Sneak Peek thread started by CMSgt Bo shows many pore pics and probably addresses your question / concern.

So much to do about a bracelet. I feel it detracts from the fact this LE offering is near perfect for the above average enthusiast. It's an amazing offering. If you want the original bracelet, why not buy an original bracelet to join to your LE? It seems one should fit, as has been demonstrated the new BOR is a good fit to the vintage case. I'm aware they are rare, but they can be had for a price if you want it that bad.
    Last edited by B.M.Quint; March 24th, 2016 at 20:02.

Guys,

I think people are missing the point here. DOXA want to make the 50th Anniversary watch as close to the original as possible. However, they have to make compromises. The original bracelet was ingenious because of it's ratcheting clasp and expanding side pieces but it was inherently weak and of limited longevity. How many working examples do you see still in existence? There is a reason for that. The flimsiness of the bracelet also made the watch head unstable on the wrist because of the thinness of the actual bracelet and clasp. Trust me on this. I know a few things about vintage DOXAs

Everyone (including me) wanted a ricebead bracelet. DOXA delivered it with a very strong and robust clasp. The original ricebead bracelet ends were tapered to follow the outline of the case. Take a look. The sides of the bracelet follow the curve of the case sides. They went for that look to keep with the traditional vintage SUB 300. They did a bang on job and I was totally gobsmacked when I saw it for the first time.

There is only one thing missing which I said to Rick which was on my wish list and I understand why they didn't or couldn't do it and that was make the DOXA Ship circular logo / emblem thing on the caseback gold. Have a look at the old Omega Constellation casebacks with the gold observatory, I thought it would have just knocked it out of the park if DOXA could have done that for the 50th. But it would have been my icing on the cake and maybe not everyone else's. However, as it is the 50th Anniversary SUB 300 is stellar. They have done the DOXA history and tradition proud.
    Last edited by Flyingdoctor; March 25th, 2016 at 00:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingdoctor View Post
    Everyone (including me) wanted a ricebead bracelet. DOXA delivered it with a very strong and robust clasp. The original ricebead bracelet ends were tapered to follow the outline of the case. Take a look. The sides of the bracelet follow the curve of the case sides. They went for that look to keep with the traditional vintage SUB 300. They did a bang on job and I was totally gobsmacked when I saw it for the first time.
    This is something I mentioned in an earlier comment - it really improves the flow of the transition from case to bracelet. It is a lovely detail.

There is only one thing missing which I said to Rick which was on my wish list and I understand why they didn't or couldn't do it and that was make the DOXA Ship circular logo / emblem thing on the caseback gold. Have a look at the old Omega Constellation casebacks with the gold observatory, I thought it would have just knocked it out of the park if DOXA could have done that for the 50th. But it would have been my icing on the cake and maybe not everyone else's. However, as it is the 50th Anniversary SUB 300 is stellar. They have done the DOXA history and tradition proud.
    As a big fan of Eterna's KonTiki watches, I love the ones that have the 18K gold medallion with the raft on the caseback. I agree totally that this would have been the icing on the cake with this SUB.

Quote Originally Posted by El Loco Norwegian View Post
    This is something I mentioned in an earlier comment - it really improves the flow of the transition from case to bracelet. It is a lovely detail.
    It makes it more comfortable too. Regarding the weakness of the original design, I think the main problem was that it was made of folded steel like most of the watches of that era, the Longines I posted is a lovely chrono but the bracelet is very weak and it doesn't balance well the heavy "head".

I also don't think 18mm vs. 20mm would make any difference in terms of durability, but of course if Doxa wants it 20mm so it will be.

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast