Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype! - Page 12
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Re: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

Quote Originally Posted by David Woo View Post
    yes, that'd be a wonderful touch, hope it can happen.
    David, didn't some of the first 600T reissues have a separate medallion in the case back, and there was a problem with them falling out? I didn't come on board with following DOXA until the time of the 750T launch, but over on EOT's UDWF, there were several complaints. If I'm not dreaming this, that might be why DOXA is hesitant to put a gold medallion on it. Plus, in salt water environments, there could be a reaction between different metals, or case back distortion under extreme pressure that could break the weld between the case back, and medallion. I know it wouldn't see those pressures under regular scuba use, but still could be an issue if someone wanted to pressure test it to it's max.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Always a fan of the beads on rice bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    didn't some of the first 600T reissues have a separate medallion in the case back, and there was a problem with them falling out? I didn't come on board with following DOXA until the time of the 750T launch, but over on EOT's UDWF, there were several complaints. If I'm not dreaming this, that might be why DOXA is hesitant to put a gold medallion on it.
    yes, i recall that, but am not sure which model had the issue. my 600T doesn't have it. I would hope that today's world of adhesives/metallurgy would be able to solve the issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes the 600T did have a few watches where the insert fell out. It was an adhesive problem. Once Doxa changed the adhesive then the problem went away. With an insert, galvanic corrosion is theoretically possible as is crevice corrosion / differential aeration but we are talking very low possibility given the relatively low immersion times and assuming people would be savvy enough to wash their dive watch thoroughly in fresh water after any dip in sea water.

If a brass insert is out of the question then I'd look at the feasibility of plating the circular Doxa logo area. Look at the insert on the Super KonTiki and tell me you don't think the Doxa sailing ship logo wouldn't look great like this. This is the 50th Anniversary watch. You only get one chance to do it. Don't just make a statement...... blow the bloody doors off

Name:  7976494953_1881d85f35_b.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  397.5 KB

This is where the quote came from....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_GeQR8fJo
    Last edited by Flyingdoctor; March 26th, 2016 at 20:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingdoctor
    If a brass insert is out of the question then I'd look at the feasibility of plating the circular Doxa logo area. Look at the insert on the Super KonTiki and tell me you don't think the Doxa sailing ship logo wouldn't look great like this. This is the 50th Anniversary watch. You only get one chance to do it. Don't just make a statement...... blow the bloody doors off
    My thinking exactly, Dr.Pete Reading this discussion last night, I was (still am) hoping Doxa will offer this. And if they don't, I may have the insert gold-plated myself. But then, how often do you get to celebrate and commemorate your 50th Anniversary? Last time I checked, only once ......

Honestly, it's more important that it stays as true to the 1:1 as possible. Gold medallion, although neat, would be trumped by the return of the sailboat. Don't change a thing, IMHO.
    JohnM likes this.

Is this still available for pre-order? I want to make sure before I paid, because the deposit is non-refundable.

I put in my pre-order and payment anyway - didn't want to wait then find out these sold out while I was waiting. Next.. the long and agonizing 8 months...

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingdoctor View Post
    With an insert, galvanic corrosion is theoretically possible as is crevice corrosion / differential aeration but we are talking very low possibility given the relatively low immersion times and assuming people would be savvy enough to wash their dive watch thoroughly in fresh water after
    Don't just make a statement...... blow the bloody doors off
    i feel a quiz coming on.

x2 on the explosives.
    Steve Tracy likes this.

What kind of packaging will it come in? "Vintage" box or modern tube? I don't really know if there was a tube in the old days..?

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast