Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype! - Page 9
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 300
  1. #81
    Member Magnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    642

    Re: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

    Quote Originally Posted by DOXA S.A. View Post
    No they can't and there is non from any of the brands you mention in current production except on small women watches.
    Rolex: Submariner, Seadweller
    IWC: Ingenieur, Aquatimer
    Seiko: Tuna, MM300
    Tudor: Black Bay, Pelagos
    ...and many others

  2. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    45

    Re: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snulle View Post
    Regarding the lugs it's clearly visible on one of the images that the bracelet
    is wider than the lugs where it meets the case.

    Image for reference

    The bracelet being wider where it meets the case gives a nice flow in the transition from case to bracelet, not the step down that otherwise would have been if the bracelet had been 20mm wide at the case - like the other modern Doxas.

    I am all for Doxa making the bracelet at sturdy and long lasting as possible, as in tapering down to 20mm at the clasp.
    Steve Tracy and Genebe like this.

  3. #83
    Administrator CMSgt Bo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
    Posts
    25,835

    Re: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

    I have my share of vintage plexi/Hesalite crystal watches and I really appreciate the new generation of bubble domed sapphire crystals for their clarity and toughness.

  4. #84
    Member nellipj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Frankfort, IL
    Posts
    1,746

    Re: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Rolex: Submariner, Seadweller
    IWC: Ingenieur, Aquatimer
    Seiko: Tuna, MM300
    Tudor: Black Bay, Pelagos
    ...and many others
    Not one of those watches taper down to 16mm. If you have ever handled an original 300 or 300T bracelet with separate beads of rice you would understand why tapering to 20mm make more sense. 16mm is too narrow and flimsy with the individual BOR bracelet. 24/20 taper works great here.
    Last edited by nellipj; March 23rd, 2016 at 23:57.
    Current rotation:
    Rolex 116660 DSSD Deep Blue
    Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial 9300
    IWC 5009-01 Big Pilot
    Panerai 372P
    Panerai 466O
    Panerai 025F
    Tudor Pelagos
    UTS 1000M GMT
    DOXA 600T Graph Professional
    Gruppo Gamma Vanguard Bronze
    Casio G-Shock GW2310-1




  5. #85
    Member It'sAliveJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    712

    Re: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

    Can anyone confirm the full dimensions for this please? I'm reading 42mm, then somewhere else says 45mm, and size is a deal breaker for me unfortunately.

    I had a 1200T Searambler and that was on the limit.

    Thanks

  6. #86
    Member Magnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    642

    Re: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

    Quote Originally Posted by nellipj View Post
    Not one of those watches taper down to 16mm. If you have ever handled an original 300 or 300T bracelet with separate beads of rice you would understand why tapering to 20mm make more sense. 16mm is too narrow and flimsy with the individual BOR bracelet. 24/20 taper works great here.
    As far as I'm aware the Rolex and IWC models listed all taper to 16mm at the clasp and the Seiko and Tudor models taper to 18mm at the clasp. As far as durability goes the width of the clasp is not important. What is important is the thickness of the metal used to fabricate the clasp. And yes, I have handled an original vintage Doxa bracelet, and I agree it is too fragile by modern standards but that doesn't mean all 16mm clasps are fragile.

  7. #87
    Member nellipj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Frankfort, IL
    Posts
    1,746

    Re: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    As far as I'm aware the Rolex and IWC models listed all taper to 16mm at the clasp and the Seiko and Tudor models taper to 18mm at the clasp. As far as durability goes the width of the clasp is not important. What is important is the thickness of the metal used to fabricate the clasp. And yes, I have handled an original vintage Doxa bracelet, and I agree it is too fragile by modern standards but that doesn't mean all 16mm clasps are fragile.
    It's not the clasp that is the issue at 16mm on individual BOR. There is not enough strength in the bracelet itself. It's the weak link.
    Current rotation:
    Rolex 116660 DSSD Deep Blue
    Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial 9300
    IWC 5009-01 Big Pilot
    Panerai 372P
    Panerai 466O
    Panerai 025F
    Tudor Pelagos
    UTS 1000M GMT
    DOXA 600T Graph Professional
    Gruppo Gamma Vanguard Bronze
    Casio G-Shock GW2310-1




  8. #88
    Member Magnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    642

    Re: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

    Quote Originally Posted by nellipj View Post
    It's not the clasp that is the issue at 16mm on individual BOR. There is not enough strength in the bracelet itself. It's the weak link.
    I'd say the spring bar connecting the bracelet to the clasp is the weakest link of any bracelet, but I get your point. Still think a 16mm BOR can be made strong enough to withstand anything it can possibly encounter while mounted on a persons wrist.

  9. #89
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    northern California
    Posts
    647

    Re: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

    Quote Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
    I have my share of vintage plexi/Hesalite crystal watches and I really appreciate the new generation of bubble domed sapphire crystals for their clarity and toughness.
    Agree on toughness and clarity, at least for most of the crystal. The thing I love about the old Plexi crystals is the cool distortion on the outer rim, as opposed to the semi-opaque rim of the sapphire. Correct me if I'm wrong on this regarding Doxa, but it is true of the Omega Speedmasters.

  10. #90
    Member laughinggull's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    GMT -5
    Posts
    7,502

    Re: Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

    Although plexi-is-sexy .... the only diver I ever had flood on me had a thick plexi crystal. It had developed an almost invisible crack. well, it was invisible to me. I never could see it...which left me feeling very unsettled about plexi. 😕 Now just on vintage watches I might never get wet. I'm cool with the domed sapphire
    Hidden Content

    God Bless, Liz

    Follow me on Instagram @squibby118

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Sneak Peek: Ford Mustang 50th Anniversary watch by Shinola
      By ShinolaBrian in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: June 4th, 2013, 03:50
    2. Sneak peak at our newest watch
      By egardwatches in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: March 23rd, 2013, 00:21
    3. Replies: 0
      Last Post: January 21st, 2012, 22:50
    4. Anybody going to Watchtime's 2010 Sneak Peak?
      By waruilewi in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: July 9th, 2010, 02:25
    5. Sneak peak!
      By Oceanaire in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: September 2nd, 2008, 06:31

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts

    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2