WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Sneak Peak: 50th Anniversary SUB300 Protoype!

55K views 300 replies 92 participants last post by  gavgetwet 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We couldn't hold this back any longer, so the information had to leak at Baselworld:

First Look: The Doxa Sub 50th Anniversary Limited Edition › WatchTime - USA's No.1 Watch Magazine

The case is the EXACT dimension as the original 1967 SUB300, the modern additions are the special cut sapphire crystal identical to the first generation plexi and the Chronometer certified movement . And this is just a prototype minor changes to the crystal might occur, HOWEVER, the case, and dial are finalized.

The bracelet does have a slight taper like the original.

Yes, it will use a COSC ETA 2824 movement.

This will be a limited edition of 300 pieces per dial color. Available only for DOXA returning customers

The release will incorporate three models, the Professional, Sharkhunter, and Searambler.

Watches will start shipping in November.

Pre-Order price is $1990.00 with a $500.00 deposit. Regular price will be $2490.00, if we don't sell out during the pre-order!

https://doxasub.com/Order/order.aspx?ID=284

Thank you,
Customer Care
DOXA Watches

Attachments

See less See more
#56 ·
Great job on this one! But the big question is: Does the bracelet taper to 16mm at the clasp like the original? Anything wider than that at the clasp kills it for me. The proportions just looks off with anything wider. A 20mm lug to 16mm at clasp true BOR bracelet on this and I'd take one of each model.

#65 ·
Doxa S.A. I asked a question earlier in this thread which was answered by subcrawler. - but I need to hear it from you

What color are the hands on the Sharkhunter ? What color is the minute hand?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#67 ·
This looks soooo nice! I'd really like to have one! Of each that is!
I wasn't planning on getting any more Doxas until there is an ARMY re-issue
though and now the perfect case exists to make one! *Nudge-nudge* ;-)
Or maybe get a Military Sharkhunter which I don't have... I do like the smaller
sized Doxas best, the 600T is perfect for my thin wrists and I already have
all three 600T colours, but I could perhaps replace my 1200T Searambler
with a 300 Searambler... We'll see...

Regarding the lugs it's clearly visible on one of the images that the bracelet
is wider than the lugs where it meets the case.

Image for reference :)

Attachments

#79 ·
I am fortunate enough to own two Doxas (Pro and Searambler 1200t) and thought I had 'enough' for one lifetime. While I wished I had a Diving With Legends (my favorite 1200t), something tells me this Anniversary Doxa is the one to own (at least the 'new one'). For those more knowledgeable than I about Doxa history (i.e., most of you), would you agree?

I can't think of a more comfortable (trim) and fun Doxa (domed crystal, 24-20mm bracelet, almost the same specs as the original). If only the Hesalite/Plexi ... but not complaining! ;-)

#89 ·
Agree on toughness and clarity, at least for most of the crystal. The thing I love about the old Plexi crystals is the cool distortion on the outer rim, as opposed to the semi-opaque rim of the sapphire. Correct me if I'm wrong on this regarding Doxa, but it is true of the Omega Speedmasters.

#90 ·
Although plexi-is-sexy .... the only diver I ever had flood on me had a thick plexi crystal. It had developed an almost invisible crack. well, it was invisible to me. I never could see it...which left me feeling very unsettled about plexi. 😕 Now just on vintage watches I might never get wet. I'm cool with the domed sapphire

#93 ·
JohnM said:
I am fortunate enough to own two Doxas (Pro and Searambler 1200t) and thought I had 'enough' for one lifetime. While I wished I had a Diving With Legends (my favorite 1200t), something tells me this Anniversary Doxa is the one to own (at least the 'new one'). For those more knowledgeable than I about Doxa history (i.e., most of you), would you agree?
John,

I will not claim that I am more knowledgeable about Doxa than you are; I'm a newbie too, "discovered" the brand in 2010. That's when I also realized that I had forgotten about it, because I did come across Doxa in the DP novels and movie. So take this as a full disclaimer before assigning value to my opinion.

My timing was perfect, when I (re)discovered the Doxa brand in 2010 there were still DWL's up for grabs and with no hesitation (okay, little) I landed 11/99. Only a short time later, I guess I was still mentally recovering from the purchase (read: purchase price) I hesitated too long and missed out on the Turquoise Numa and the 600T Graph (Searambler). I vowed this would never happen again.

So when Doxa had the big Thanksgiving sale on 750 GMT's I made my quickest ever watch-purchase ..... very happy with my yellow Divingstar. Likewise, when I saw the post about the 50th Anniversary LE, I didn't even read the full thread and the other one, just clicked the link and secured one. It was only later that evening that I read that there will be 3 versions / colors; the link that was up defaulted to the Professional (nothing wrong with Orange) but I'm still contemplating whether I should get the Searambler instead.

Too many words; what am I saying here? My take on it is yes, this is the one to get .... you may even let one of your 1200's go (mind you, not both) but you will regret not getting this one. Of that I'm sure.

Good luck and apologies for the long answer.

Question to others here: any chance for pics of the original 300's in all 3 colors? Much appreciated and many thanks in advance.

#95 ·
I remember being on a dive watch forum (before this one existed for Doxa) when the 2002 Re-Issue SUB 300T was coming out. The discussions were endless and it was fun to see everyone's written reactions. Some loved it for there finally being a "new" orange faced Doxa dive watch. Some hated the lack of dwarf hour hand and lack of a beads of rice bracelet. When the began to arrive at people's front doors, the love for the watch ruled.

I haven't seen this much excitement since 2002! Very fun again!

#110 ·
I remember being on a dive watch forum (before this one existed for Doxa) when the 2002 Re-Issue SUB 300T was coming out. The discussions were endless and it was fun to see everyone's written reactions. Some loved it for there finally being a "new" orange faced Doxa dive watch. Some hated the lack of dwarf hour hand and lack of a beads of rice bracelet. When the began to arrive at people's front doors, the love for the watch ruled.

I haven't seen this much excitement since 2002! Very fun again!
You're right Steve, it's good to see some excitement back here on the forum.

Reactions: Steve Tracy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.