Speaking of spring bars and threaded lugs..... other options?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Speaking of spring bars and threaded lugs..... other options?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Speaking of spring bars and threaded lugs..... other options?

Well, I have some very strong opinions on spring bars. I have posted on this before and had a slew of others that actually use a dive watch to dive agree that they are a risky weak link to a dive watch design. Also pointed out was that the threaded lug bars can come unscrewed and you may still lose the watch.

How can anyone disagree with that? Of course, they may come loose too. However, that loss is on the owner, it's a simple enough thing to check and see if they are loose as needed. It's not ever,.... for me at least an instantaneous failure of the design. I have a dozen spring bars here that are bent and failed. They are here in my watch tool kit. Anyone of these could have been a catastrophic loss of an expensive and meaningful watch!

I have found a new dive watch that interests me quite a lot. As I have no desire to own another dive watch with a common spring bar, this watch may be out of my minimum design requirement parameters. However, it does have a different type of heavy duty spring bar which uses a hole through the lugs requiring a tool to push the spring bar out, rather than the conventional telescopic spring bar design.

Is anyone familiar with this style of "spring bar"? Can it even still be called a spring bar? I suppose with a spring it is still a spring bar! This design makes me curious about the integrity and strength it will have.

Anyone care to comment? I want the watch but not with the weak link of a common spring bar. Plus the manufacturer only has a single one remaining of the 20 that he made!
    rafy1 likes this.

Re: Speaking of spring bars and threaded lugs..... other options?

Springbar schmingbar ...

Now, if you are not looking for THAT much security, I believe you are talking about drilled lugs. This system is not any more or less secure than the "telescopic" system you describe - they both rely on the strength of the springbar itself. That said drilled lugs are a lot simpler to change out a watch strap with no damage than the kind you need to wedge your tool into to undo.

Time In and pinkybrain like this.

I won't buy or own another watch with screws, just Monday my watch fell off, fortunately just before my first dive (screw links not bars) and it had blue locktite on it, I have never had a good properly installed spring bar fail, never in years of diving. The only other option is pressed in solid bars like the old military watches used.

in my experience screws this size just can't be tightened enough to stay put, others have differing opinions so it's your watch wear it as you like.
    Time In likes this.

in the woods on a river--Western MA...USA

I recently received my 1st watch with the screw-ins. While waiting for new straps to arrive it seemed the "hex screw" was sticking out...it was...then I determined it was loose !! Then also found out you need 2 screwdrivers to tighten em' up. When straps arrived I did my first removal of the bars without knowing what to expect. A real tiny screw ! If you sneeze it could be gone forever. I also determined spares are necessary (just in case). My cats like to be involved with what I'm doing...but were very upset because I kept tossing them off the bed while I was doing micro surgery. Putting on the new band was a PITA. Getting the bar to match up to opposite hole "perfectly" while blind was no easy task. Now I'm concerned about X-threading and how hard to tighten the screw in. It seems like a very fragile process. I thought it would be nice to avoid the spring bar tool. Now I'm not so sure. Only time will tell. I will feel better when the 2 spare bar set ups come in.

EDIT: Forgot to mention....Eventually I got the buckle side of the strap on. In my frustration I ended up with it on the wrong side. Had to remove it and start over.
    Last edited by Time In; 2 Days Ago at 00:53.
    CURRENT ROTATION :: ​fuhgeddaboudit !!333***** silence is powerful...listen and learn ***** 3

All springbars are not created equal. If you shop around at the strap and watch places that sell them you will find some heavy duty ones in any common size. I generally prefer screw in lugs but wouldn't base my purchase on it.

PS: I have had three watches that came with the tube/microscrew type fasteners described above. They suck, always a task to wield two tools at once and not lose the tiny screws. I have replaced them on the two watches I still have, in fact one of the manufacturers sent the new heavy duty springbars as an update.

That Locman looks like almost the ideal solution.

Meanwhile the NATO strap was designed to save the watch from the loss of a single bar...

I recently received a watch with screw-in lug bars and one of them promptly broke. It had been damaged in the factory.

Concord also has an alternative system:
    Robotaz and Pallet Spoon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallet Spoon View Post
    Springbar schmingbar ...

I don't want to burst your bubble, but that watch is still probably held on by a springbar.

Have you checked out the buckle pin?

Quote Originally Posted by JJHACK1 View Post
    Well, I have some very strong opinions on spring bars. I have posted on this before and had a slew of others that actually use a dive watch to dive agree that they are a risky weak link to a dive watch design. Also pointed out was that the threaded lug bars can come unscrewed and you may still lose the watch.

How can anyone disagree with that? Of course, they may come loose too. However, that loss is on the owner, it's a simple enough thing to check and see if they are loose as needed. It's not ever,.... for me at least an instantaneous failure of the design. I have a dozen spring bars here that are bent and failed. They are here in my watch tool kit. Anyone of these could have been a catastrophic loss of an expensive and meaningful watch!

I have found a new dive watch that interests me quite a lot. As I have no desire to own another dive watch with a common spring bar, this watch may be out of my minimum design requirement parameters. However, it does have a different type of heavy duty spring bar which uses a hole through the lugs requiring a tool to push the spring bar out, rather than the conventional telescopic spring bar design.

Is anyone familiar with this style of "spring bar"? Can it even still be called a spring bar? I suppose with a spring it is still a spring bar! This design makes me curious about the integrity and strength it will have.

Anyone care to comment? I want the watch but not with the weak link of a common spring bar. Plus the manufacturer only has a single one remaining of the 20 that he made!
    Using a sleeve between the springbar and the strap does improve security becaue you make it less likely that the straps will grip on the bar and torque it out. I do the same by putting silicon grease on springbars before inserting them in the strap.

You can blame the watch user for the weakness in screwed components, but I doubt many people would check every screw in every component of their strap and bracelet assembly each time they are used. I have had screwed components with recession problems that come undone remarkably fast....and once there is even a little play it comes fully undone quickly with just normal use. My current office chair has armrests that come lose during a single days use, its very annoying.

Loktite can be used in some applications, but that can be annoying in a watch if you want to change straps at all frequently.

Screws are not a magic bullet, regardless of how strongly you happen to feel about springbars.
    Last edited by trekDS; 2 Days Ago at 05:04.

I totally agree with many good comments here.

1) To me it is a fact that many new watches with screws are delivered with not very tighten screws, especially cheap micro brands having low quality control. Also it is important to verify that the first day, and to screw strongly all that :) I think it is the same when you are buying a new regulator or diving equipments: you much check and verify it before to use it. By the way even a 50K Rolex might come with a deficient spring bar, please check on the Rolex forum you will be surprised ;)

2) Another excellent comments from TrekDS regarding the swapping of straps which might be annoying if you need to re-apply each time blue Loctite; it is a very valid point and I agree it is true. Saying that I am swaping daily strap being a watch alcoholic and adding a bit of blue threadlocker every day, it takes me less than 5mn and brings me full confidence; on my other processional diving watches having springs bard (using the big strong heavy duty ones) it takes me 15-30mn to swap (depending if rubber strap or bracelet which takes me longer), using Bergeon tool by the way; without tell you all the scratches I always do at the lugs side. Also to me being a big fan of high quality and professional work: screws is the one compare to spring bards. I never tried spring bars with watches having drilled lugs, I heard it is much more easier to put and remove the spring-bars, so I might buy one or two just for checking.

3) Again: if you are really doing all kind of diving activities: the spring inside the sping bards are made generally in SS not in Titanium or in plastic, and having 0.1mm diameter will get rusty and will break with time, it is just physics / mechanics :)

So yes I admit and I apology but I hate spring bars and I love screws. I think I am getting a too old stubborn diver :(
    Davidka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eljay View Post
    That Locman looks like almost the ideal solution.

Meanwhile the NATO strap was designed to save the watch from the loss of a single bar...

I recently received a watch with screw-in lug bars and one of them promptly broke. It had been damaged in the factory.

Concord also has an alternative system:
    I have a Concord as well and can attest to the fact I have no fear of losing it ... but I don't think I'd dive with mine ...

Quote Originally Posted by trekDS View Post
    I don't want to burst your bubble, but that watch is still probably held on by a springbar.

Have you checked out the buckle pin?

That is what custom strap makers are for. I went with the setup below but could have easily gone with a stitched in buckle as well.

Robotaz and Davidka like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information