Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial) - Page 5
Like Tree10709Likes

Thread: Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial)

Page 5 of 425 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial)

I hate to threadcrap here, but I'm puzzled: exactly what is so special about this watch? At first glance, it strikes me as merely seeming to be another Sub homage, except one with, for me, butt-ugly dial lettering (and the need to put the company's name on the dial TWICE strikes me as purely bush-league). Yet, the devotion it seems to be inspiring here is undeniable. So could someone explain to me why you would opt for the 20 Atmos over, say, a Steinhart Ocean One?

Re: Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial)

Re: Steiny vs Squale... Do some thread searching, my friend. This has been beaten to death. ;)

Mine will be in hand tomorrow since I missed delivery by taking the day off work (first time I can think of being disappointed I was not at work ), but I will give you my thoughts on why I decided to buy, and update once it is received.

1. Size - Subjective, but 40mm (as opposed to the Steinhart 42mm) seems to be a better fit for most with wrist sizes 7" and under, especially since it appears the lug design on the Squale "hugs" the wrist as opposed to being straight.

2. Value - $420 for anything with an ETA in it with how in demand they are is worth looking into, especially from a company of this pedigree.

3. History - The company has a rich history for producing quality product and has been around for many years.

4. Reviews - I will reference 2 members here in particular in hopes they don't mind, Powerband and Jeep99. These guys buy high quality swiss timepieces and certainly have some credibility when it comes to drawing comparisons in my opinion. Both seemed to be rather blown away with the quality and had extremely favorable comments about the dial, fit, finish, case, and bracelet. Sure Brice flipped his which some would think is contradictory, but he flips nearly everything it seems , and it also seems he may have had a bit of buyers remourse and has a root beer version incoming. Out of the 15+ pages of comments on the 20 Atmos, I read very few negative comments.

5. Color - This is probably the primary reason I decided to dive on board. How many brown dialed/bezel divers do you see, especially with the sunburst it appears to have at this price point? None come to my mind.

If I come up with anything else once it is in hand I will go ahead and post that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by regnaD kciN View Post
    I hate to threadcrap here, but I'm puzzled: exactly what is so special about this watch? At first glance, it strikes me as merely seeming to be another Sub homage, except one with, for me, butt-ugly dial lettering (and the need to put the company's name on the dial TWICE strikes me as purely bush-league). Yet, the devotion it seems to be inspiring here is undeniable. So could someone explain to me why you would opt for the 20 Atmos over, say, a Steinhart Ocean One?
    Last edited by 5661nicholas; December 11th, 2012 at 05:29.
    *Seiko SARB065* *Seiko SBDX001 MM300* *G Shock GA110-1B*

Entry cards..

Name:  7.JPG
Views: 3572
Size:  153.3 KB

Name:  6.JPG
Views: 3123
Size:  155.6 KB

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 3115
Size:  142.0 KB

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 3144
Size:  156.6 KB

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 3111
Size:  155.6 KB

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 3335
Size:  160.1 KB

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 3137
Size:  155.9 KB

Nice entry cards! Nice isofrane. Very matching.

Quote Originally Posted by roguehog View Post
    Nice entry cards! Nice isofrane. Very matching.
    Thank you! But it is an aftermarket tropic strap but als good matching.

now that is the bees knees

Quote Originally Posted by Zacherl321 View Post
    Entry cards..

Name:  7.JPG
Views: 3572
Size:  153.3 KB

jbbusybee likes this.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Panerai 113 -Rolex SubCND, DateJust-GP SeaHawk-Zenith 1970 Defy-Anonimo Corsaro, Doxa​ Caribbean GMT -Omega SMQ, Geneve "stingray" Aquastar Regate - Seiko Tie Tuna - Corum AC - Eterna ​Kontiki, H2O Marlin 💀

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by regnaD kciN View Post
    So could someone explain to me why you would opt for the 20 Atmos over, say, a Steinhart Ocean One?
    Of the Steinharts that I owned that had bezels, each one had the loose bezel that suffered vertical displacement. They also had a degree of play during rotation. One also had a GMT hand that was significantly misaligned -- although it had an ETA movement, the GMT hand installation was the problem and it was reflective of Steinhart's quality control. All of the Steinhart had excessive crown wobble. (But I love Steinhart's pilot watches; these exhibit great craftsmanship and I'll probably buy more.)

The Squale 20 Atmos might bear two logos, but that is not only a subjective element for the owners to decide but part of their decades of history. Additionally, the crown, crown stem, and crown thread on the 20 Atmos is amazing. And their bezel action is tight and none of mine has any play whatsoever, in any direction. The bezels on my Squales also line up precisely.

Regarding the first batch of 20 Atmos, the quality of the bracelet still exceeds that of several of my Rolexes. The difference between screws and pins is, to me, not a valid point of judgement (because there are advantages to having pins, especially for those who had a screw quietly work itself out of the bracelet that's holding an expensive watch on the wrist... like my Grand Seiko).

A good point of judgement, however, would be loose bezels and excessive crown wobbles.

The 20 Atmos isn't the best watch out there, but for the price, it is a solid option.
    Last edited by powerband; December 12th, 2012 at 00:23.
    Fran74 likes this.
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

Guys, I am interested to get one of the 20 atmos series (maxi or root beer? Tough choices :p). How's the lume compares to, say skx007? Just to get an idea :D thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by walikard View Post
    Guys, I am interested to get one of the 20 atmos series (maxi or root beer? Tough choices :p). How's the lume compares to, say skx007? Just to get an idea :D thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Seiko's lume is in a class of its own, literally. Pretty much like chateau d'yquem. Untouchable, well, IMHO at least. the markers are larger, or at least they seem so to me. Not many non-Japanese brand can beat seiko when it comes to lume.

I have a lume shot of the maxi on my blog. Will be adding some Lume pics of the other 20 atmos later.

Page 5 of 425 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread Information