Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial) - Page 6
Like Tree9662Likes

Thread: Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial)

Page 6 of 401 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 4002
  1. #51
    Member AlphaWolf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    3,085

    Re: Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial)

    Quote Originally Posted by powerband View Post
    Of the Steinharts that I owned that had bezels, each one had the loose bezel that suffered vertical displacement. They also had a degree of play during rotation. One also had a GMT hand that was significantly misaligned -- although it had an ETA movement, the GMT hand installation was the problem and it was reflective of Steinhart's quality control. All of the Steinhart had excessive crown wobble. (But I love Steinhart's pilot watches; these exhibit great craftsmanship and I'll probably buy more.)

    The Squale 20 Atmos might bear two logos, but that is not only a subjective element for the owners to decide but part of their decades of history. Additionally, the crown, crown stem, and crown thread on the 20 Atmos is amazing. And their bezel action is tight and none of mine has any play whatsoever, in any direction. The bezels on my Squales also line up precisely.

    Regarding the first batch of 20 Atmos, the quality of the bracelet still exceeds that of several of my Rolexes. The difference between screws and pins is, to me, not a valid point of judgement (because there are advantages to having pins, especially for those who had a screw quietly work itself out of the bracelet that's holding an expensive watch on the wrist... like my Grand Seiko).

    A good point of judgement, however, would be loose bezels and excessive crown wobbles.

    The 20 Atmos isn't the best watch out there, but for the price, it is a solid option.
    As an owner of 3 Steinhart Ocean Ones and a Squale 20 Atmos, I have to agree and disagree. All 3 of my Ocean Ones have the most solid, perfectly aligned bezels out of my collection, and are also the easiest to grip thanks to the very fine machining and brushed sawteeth/coin edge (as they should be, polished makes the bezel slippery, no offense to the Squale though, the polish does look cool, it's just hard for me to turn). I love the size and lug shape of my 20 atmos way way way way better than my Ocean Ones, and I wish those were 40mm like the Squale; however I just felt like chiming in so that other Ocean One owners or prospective owners can hear; as to me, it sounds like you received a QC lemon Ocean One. Also, the crowns on my Ocean Ones have absolutely zero wobble, whereas my Squale has the second most wobbly crown in my collection. But it does not hurt my love for it. I still like the 20 Atmos pretty much the best out of my whole collection, along with my Raven just for their 40mm size alone; just stating a fact. And the crown wobble on my Squale doesn't bug me, since i'm not sitting around turning it all day I can forget about it.

    I mean this reply in the most respectful way, just stating some things about my experiences and replying to you.
    My Watches
    Mk II Nassau; Smiths Everest



  2. #52
    Member Speardane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Posts
    156

    Re: Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial)

    Quote Originally Posted by walikard View Post
    Guys, I am interested to get one of the 20 atmos series (maxi or root beer? Tough choices :p). How's the lume compares to, say skx007? Just to get an idea :D thanks in advance.

    Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    I got the root beer delivered last night. It's a great looking watch, but the lume is nowhere near a 007. Not even roughly comparable.

  3. #53
    Member powerband's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial)

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf777 View Post
    As an owner of 3 Steinhart Ocean Ones and a Squale 20 Atmos, I have to agree and disagree. All 3 of my Ocean Ones have the most solid, perfectly aligned bezels out of my collection, and are also the easiest to grip thanks to the very fine machining and brushed sawteeth/coin edge (as they should be, polished makes the bezel slippery, no offense to the Squale though, the polish does look cool, it's just hard for me to turn). I love the size and lug shape of my 20 atmos way way way way better than my Ocean Ones, and I wish those were 40mm like the Squale; however I just felt like chiming in so that other Ocean One owners or prospective owners can hear; as to me, it sounds like you received a QC lemon Ocean One. Also, the crowns on my Ocean Ones have absolutely zero wobble, whereas my Squale has the second most wobbly crown in my collection. But it does not hurt my love for it. I still like the 20 Atmos pretty much the best out of my whole collection, along with my Raven just for their 40mm size alone; just stating a fact. And the crown wobble on my Squale doesn't bug me, since i'm not sitting around turning it all day I can forget about it.

    I mean this reply in the most respectful way, just stating some things about my experiences and replying to you.
    I'm absolutely respectful of your reply. I was reporting on my Ocean-1s. I don't think it's as much about agreeing or disagreeing as just reporting our experiences. I still have respect for the Steinhart pilots but have lost faith for the divers. My own perspectives and beliefs.

    Incidentally, I've owned all of the Steinharts you listed in your signature, except for the Marine 38mm, and interestingly these were the models that, to varying degrees, had loose bezels and wobbly crowns. I also owned one with a misaligned GMT.

    In any case, I think that every company will produce watches that are great and watches that aren't. My experience with Squale watches has been that they are solid. The crown tube on my 20 Atmos Vintage is so robust that the crown stem, though can be said to have wobble (an inherent trait on most crown stems), feels protected. The screw action is smooth and takes a good 5 or 6 turns to seat securely. I find this a very attractive trait on a diver.
    Last edited by powerband; December 12th, 2012 at 05:26. Reason: typo
    AlphaWolf777 likes this.
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

  4. #54
    Member powerband's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial)

    Quote Originally Posted by Speardane View Post
    I got the root beer delivered last night. It's a great looking watch, but the lume is nowhere near a 007. Not even roughly comparable.
    Yeah, not many watches can match the Seiko 007 or Monster. These things are torches!
    Dec1968 likes this.
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

  5. #55
    Member 5661nicholas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,883

    Re: Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial)

    Mine arrived, couldn't be happier, definitely see what all the fuss is about!!
    Name:  IMG_2352 (800x450).jpg
Views: 3000
Size:  169.0 KB
    *Seiko SARB065* *Seiko SBDX001 MM300* *G Shock GA110-1B*

  6. #56
    Member hidden by leaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free
    Posts
    7,530

    Re: Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial)

    Quote Originally Posted by 5661nicholas View Post
    Mine arrived, couldn't be happier, definitely see what all the fuss is about!!
    Congrats! Looks great...

    OT but just out of curiosity, how long did it take to get to you? I think we ordered around the same time, mine was shipped on Dec. 7, but the tracking through EMS Singapore still just says "handover to airline", which is the last update as of Dec. 9.

    Cheers,
    HBL
    ......
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

  7. #57
    Member 5661nicholas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,883

    Re: Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial)

    Mine shipped Friday, attempted delivery on Monday, actually signed for it today. Having a REALLY HARD time not ordering the Maxi. I hope you get yours soon, I think you will be very impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by hidden by leaves View Post
    Congrats! Looks great...

    OT but just out of curiosity, how long did it take to get to you? I think we ordered around the same time, mine was shipped on Dec. 7, but the tracking through EMS Singapore still just says "handover to airline", which is the last update as of Dec. 9.

    Cheers,
    HBL
    hidden by leaves likes this.
    *Seiko SARB065* *Seiko SBDX001 MM300* *G Shock GA110-1B*

  8. #58
    Member GBOGH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,699

    Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial)




  9. #59
    Member Speardane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Posts
    156

    Re: Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial)

    Quote Originally Posted by 5661nicholas View Post
    Mine shipped Friday, attempted delivery on Monday, actually signed for it today. Having a REALLY HARD time not ordering the Maxi. I hope you get yours soon, I think you will be very impressed.
    I was having a really hard time not ordering the maxi as well. The hard time ended when I broke down and ordered it. I was doing really well before a certain Roguehog led me into temptation.

  10. #60
    Member roguehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    774

    Squale Owner's Club (Unofficial)

    My 3 stooges.

    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355288054.753699.jpg
Views: 2681
Size:  66.9 KB

Page 6 of 401 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. harry-g

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •