• Titanium

20 26.67%
  • No Preference

13 17.33%
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Stainless Steel Case Vs. Titanium Case

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Stainless Steel Case Vs. Titanium Case

I was trying to search see if there are similar topic but not much of luck. (or i don't know how to search properly).

Is Titanium case REALLY better than Stainless Steel case for dive watch?

I am just surprised to find out those big name luxury watch brands like Rolex Submariner, Breitling Steelfish and more are still using stainless steel case. I would assume they will jump into Ti case to jack up the price even more. Unless their consumer are not real divers. There for, they don't even bother with titanium.

What's your choice diver case?

Re: Stainless Steel Case Vs. Titanium Case

If Ti becomes scratched I heard it's next to impossible to fix. I like the weight and look of brushed stainless and it really easy to hide scratches with just the use of a "brillo" type pad. I can't think of the name but the green and yellow dish sponge type thing.

I disagree. Titanium is rather soft and easily correctable with a fine wirewool. My Skz205 is easily maintained this way.

Izzy Does It likes this.

I can't speak for watch companies, but I much prefer a steel case to a titanium case because I like the heftier weight of the steel case over the much lighter titanium case.
    I understand that titanium is a more than adequate material (stronger than steel in some aspects I thought?) for a watch case, I am just turned off to it because its lighter of weight, at least to me, just *feels* like the case is more fragile or flimsy.
    From the Halls of Montezuma, To the shores of Tripoli

I think it has a better strength to weight ratio but not sure it's harder? I hear it has better element resistant qualities. I've just googled this point and it seems the question has been asked many times in many forums from watches to knives to torches (flashlights).
    Last edited by Veracocha; December 11th, 2010 at 23:42. Reason: Google comment

It really seems to me after having the Doxa 800TI that it scratches far easier. I have other titanium watches that also scratch a lot easier then stainless steel. The 800Ti was made to look very much like the appearance of stainless which it did but all you had to do was look at it to scratch it. I know there were different methods to repair the brushed finish on the titanium finish compared to stainless. I do wish there were more metals that held up like tungsten but lighter. Nothing like a scratch free watch.

I have 1 titanium watch and I like it a lot but I will probably never buy another it scratches too easily. If the same watch was available in SS I would have gone for that instead.
    Buran Siberia (x2 black and white), Aviator Chrono II (poljot31681), Ferrari Jumbo Pit Crew,Alpha Jump Hour, MZI Skeleton, MKII Stingray,Elgin 18s,Agat stopwatch, Sturmanskie Sputnik,Raketa Pilot, Poljot Traveller,Tscheljabinsk military clock, Kirovskie Crab, Vostok Amphibia (tank dial), 3133 Strela replica, Alpha Jumphour Tank,Denissov Barracuda 31681,Laco B-Uhr type B, Stowa Antea KS
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Pictures: Hidden Content

My favorite watches are Titanium, I love the material, the light weight, the dull finish, the 'cool' factor. My ideal watch would be a Ti Rolex Sub.
    Izzy Does It likes this.

A Ti Omega X-33 has been my work watch for years and I always thought it held up remarkably well bashing it about the cockpit. I have a new Doxa 800Ti as well so we'll see. It's to be my actual diving watch, so I'm expecting it will take some abuse, but hopefully it won't look like crap overnight!

That said, I do like the weight of stainless...it's less expensive but feels more. Crazy I know.

Deacon
    Rolex: Deep Sea V/Submariner ND M/Submariner-C G/GMT Master II Coke Y
    Omega: Speedmaster Quartz X-33
    Omega: Seamaster 2254.5/GMT 2234.50/SM 300
    Doxa 1500T Professional
    Panerai: PAM111
    Sinn: Hydro UX
    Seiko: SBBN015 Quartz Tuna
    Seiko: SKX007 Jake's Black Bay mod
    MKII: LRRP No Date MilSub
    Vostok: Black "Scuba Dude"
    Citizen: Promaster NY0040-09W

Titanium is an inferior material imho - too light and it scratches easily. If you really want to step it up a notch, start looking at watches made of hardened steels such as Sinn and Damasko use, or tungsten (Lum-Tec - and others?), as well as DLC coatings.
    Best,
    David

* ETERNA Heritage Super KonTiki 1973 * Squale 50 atms Matte *
    Borealis Cascais *

Gone, but not forgotten:

Anonimo Millimetri 10th Anniversary * Sinn U1 * Doxa 750t Searambler * Stowa Pro Diver * Stowa Seatime * Anonimo Millemetri * Anonimo Sailor Diver * Halios Bluering * JOA PAM 111H Homage * Bathys Benthic MOP * Glycine Combat 7 Chronograph * Fortis B-42 GMT * Bathys Benthic Ti * Bathys 100 Fathoms * Benarus Moray Dart (42mm)* IWI Marine Diver GMT * Benarus Moray * Magrette Regattare Bronze * Marc & Sons MSD-044
    * A ton of Seikos * And many more...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information