WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Steinhart to make 39mm watches from summer 2017

96K views 377 replies 123 participants last post by  Dec1968 
#1 ·
Apologies if I'm double posting and this topic has been covered already but I came across the below video on Youtube and the author states that he contacted Steinhart directly about the possibility of making smaller watches. He says they replied saying that "Ocean models with 39mm case are planned in the summer 2017". Hope this is true and not a wind up as I'm sure lots of people would like a smaller version of their watches.

#63 ·
A 39 mm OVM with contoured (rather than flat - ugh!) lugs would be very compelling to me... As it is, my OVM 1.0 lasted over a year in my rotation with very little wear. Could not get past that lug profile and found the size too big relative to the watch to which it pays homage. I also had a MKII LRRP Milsub (42.1 mm) and a first gen ARmida A1 (42mm). The MKII and the Armida got a lot more wrist time because of the lug profile (I'd catch a glimpse of the side of the case - and lugs - when I'd glance down at my wrist and the Steinhart was ruined for me), but ultimately all three were sold or traded due to the larger size.

#67 ·
I never wore a watch larger than 40mm so I were a little worry when I placed order for my Pepsi.

But after two weeks I think that I worried too much, my wrist became familiar with the watch's size and weight and I actually feel quite comfortable wearing my Pepsi at work or other activities.

Anyway a smaller version could be a good idea and I might buy it too.

Or an upgrade for the bracelet for existing watches is also welcome. Ideally a 22mm tapered to 18mm at the clasp.

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SimpleWatchMan
#68 ·
lvt;41913554 Or an upgrade for the bracelet for existing watches is also welcome. Ideally a 22mm tapered to 18mm at the clasp. [/QUOTE said:
I want this too and asked Steinhart if there was a tapered strap, but they said no.

I would also be really keen on a 39mm model, like the earlier GMTs or Subs with more subtle bezel numeric font.

#69 ·
I'd just like to insert this factoid into the conversation. Steinhart Ocean series lugs are not "flat". As you can see by the photo below of a Seiko Sumo (known for its long, curved lugs) on top of an OVM that the Steinhart's lugs do indeed curve downwards, just not as dramatically as the Sumo. I think that Steinhart could add another 1 to 2 mm of downward curvature and satisfy the needs of almost everyone who have more rounded wrists, but that is a decision not taken lightly as it would require a completely new CAD design and tooling investment.

Fashion accessory Strap Watch Leather

#76 · (Edited)
I'd just like to insert this factoid into the conversation. Steinhart Ocean series lugs are not "flat". As you can see by the photo below of a Seiko Sumo (known for its long, curved lugs) on top of an OVM that the Steinhart's lugs do indeed curve downwards, just not as dramatically as the Sumo. I think that Steinhart could add another 1 to 2 mm of downward curvature and satisfy the needs of almost everyone who have more rounded wrists, but that is a decision not taken lightly as it would require a completely new CAD design and tooling investment.

View attachment 11855402
Yeah, I am lazy when I describe the lug profile as flat. More accurately, the profile is angular - squared off at the ends of the lugs - where a Rolex/homage to a Rolex is a beautiful flowing curve! Here are some photos from a 2012 Worn&Wound comparison that show the Steinhart OVM 1.0 and the Armida A2 1.0 side by side:

Fashion accessory Watch Jewellery Titanium Metal
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Interestingly, as Lee_K points out, the "curviness" of the caseback and lugs of the Armida is almost entirely optical as in reality the caseback and lugs are darn near as flat as the Steinhart... The other thing that is evident is that the "flatness" I have complained about is actually on the top of the lug rather than on the bottom!

This photo from Worn&Wound provides a 3/4 view from above and to the side and highlights other differences between the two cases. I find Steinhart looks "thin" and the lines aren't faithful to the Rolex to which it pays homage. In addition to the lug profile, the crown guards are "off" (IMNHO):

From other angles, of course, this is not the case (no pun intended), though I find the lugs to be too "thin" at their extremities on the Steinhart:

Here's my own pic (both watches long since gone) - you'll appreciate why I used Worn&Wound's photos!:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#70 ·
Just saw the video and this posting. Whilst I loved the look of the OVM2 and OVM Maxi SE. I ultimately sold them as they were just too big. I wanted to persuade myself that I would get used to the larger size, but I didn't. If they did the range in a smaller size I would be first in line to get a couple of vintage models. Here's hoping....

#71 · (Edited)
I'm going to push back on the premise of this thread and I am probably one of the oldest guys here who lived through the era of much smaller watches including dive watches. So a friendly contrarian view. The customer votes what he/she likes. Supply meet demand. People...most that like dive watches prefer a bigger face watch. Heck the Seiko Tuna I also own is wildly popular and the smaller model is 47.7mm in diameter. So I defend the 42mm Steinhart aesthetic. In fact, I love the design of the Ocean 1. All said, and a bit more of a contrarian view, I vastly prefer quartz movements to mechanical as well or otherwise I would own a Steinhart Ocean 1. So my vote is...I don't care if Steinhart makes a sub 40mm variant of the Ocean 1. I don't want a smaller iteration. I am a tallish guy with 6.75" wrist as well. Btw, I am not a hater of Rolex Sub size divers. They are OK. I simply prefer a slightly larger watch.

Enter a Chinese quartz watch by the name of Phoibos that basically steals the case, screw down case back, sapphire crystal and cyclops, bezel, dial and hands from a Steinhart Ocean 1 only with a more accurate Ronda 515 quartz movement versus mechanical movement in an Ocean 1. Even bracelet is similar with solid end links...but clasp isn't milled and uses pins versus screws...some may even prefer the reliability of pins. Astounding they can sell this watch for $100. I would even pay more for a slightly fancier movement than the Swiss Ronda 515 movement as long as still quartz but hard to fault the 515 for its work horse effectiveness at very low cost...little need for more. The movement can be replaced very inexpensively...I can do it myself in fact...and it keeps time to a handful of seconds per month. Effectively the Phoibos is a Steinhart Ocean 1, parts made in the same Chinese factory to the same quality standards...bezel action/alignment, watch fit and finish are excellent at...1/4 the price. To me, 42mm diameter is the sweet spot with average size wrist for a dive watch because bezel width on dive watches reduces dial area compared to either a chronograph or dress watch which changes the perception of size when viewing the dial. I love the case proportions and bezel vertical pitch or slope borrowed from Steinhart which I believe they nailed aka lifted from Rolex which is a masterpiece in shape albeit scaled smaller. The Phoibos is basically a rebranded Steinhart without a ceramic bezel insert with a quartz movement...again latter is what I prefer because I hate to wind watches, I don't like the inaccuracy of mechanical movements, I don't like watch winders, not to mention expensive service bills and I rotate my watches too much to keep an automatic wound. So if hoping for a further evolution of watches, I want more quartz movements in higher end watches...solar charging even being optional...latter not necessary by any means and I own a couple. I am perfectly fine with a battery watch because a battery is simple to change and batteries are dirt cheap. Don't need atomic either because quartz movements are so accurate.

My comments...and cheers to fellow watch lovers of all stripes.

Attachments

#72 ·
I'm going to push back on the premise of this thread and I am probably one of the oldest guys here who lived through the era of much smaller watches including dive watches. So a friendly contrarian view. The customer votes what he/she likes. Supply meet demand. People...most that like dive watches prefer a bigger face watch. Heck the Seiko Tuna I also own is wildly popular and the smaller model is 47.7mm in diameter. So I defend the 42mm Steinhart aesthetic. In fact, I love the design of the Ocean 1. All said, and a bit more of a contrarian view, I vastly prefer quartz movements to mechanical as well or otherwise I would own a Steinhart Ocean 1. So my vote is...I don't care if Steinhart makes a sub 40mm variant of the Ocean 1. I don't want a smaller iteration. I am a tallish guy with 6.75" wrist as well. Btw, I am not a hater of Rolex Sub size divers. They are OK. I simply prefer a slightly larger watch.

Enter a Chinese quartz watch by the name of Phoibos that basically steals the case, sapphire crystal, hands and dial from a Steinhart Ocean 1 only with a more accurate Ronda 515 quartz movement versus mechanical movement in an Ocean 1. 1/4 the price. Love this 42mm dia. watch including the size and proportions 'borrowed' from Steinhart.

My vote.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. :)

#73 ·
I'm going to push back on the premise of this thread....
I'm totally with you on having more high end quartz watches. Also agree that 42mm isn't anyway near unwearable - I too have a 300m Tuna and it wears fine, but while I haven't handled a Steinhart in person, from all I can gather from the web the main issue for me and my 6.5" wrist would be the lug tip to lug tip measurements and the way the lugs stick straight out from the case. I had a nice Zixen Zulu but the lugs stuck out similarly to the Steinhart's and it just wasn't right on my wrist. I was hoping a 39mm Steinhart may also shrink the overall length of the watch as well and make it more wearable.

At $99 for one of those Phoibos watches I definitely would be tempted to try one though...but...they don't do a 42mm in no-date and that's what I'd want. I was thinking if I could get a black, 42mm no-date and it wore OK for me then I'd get a 60 minute Steinhart OVM bezel insert and swap it into the Phoibos (I don't buy watches without a full 60 minute bezel).

#74 · (Edited)
The quality of part content at price point is off the hook from the enterprising Phoibos Chinese manufacturer. Would love to be the fly on the wall at Steinhart when they learned of Phoibos selling virtually the identical watch much cheaper only with a quartz movement I personally prefer whereby others on this forum only give credence to watches with less accurate mechanical movements. Btw, I am a mechanical engineer and I know a lot about mechanical things like mechanical movements. :) I just prefer quartz on many levels FWIW.

So Narc'd, why not pick one up, pull the dial out, remove the date wheel from the Ronda movement, shave the cyclops and you have what you want. You maybe able to obtain a non date dial from Steinhart if you contact them...or drop in a custom dial. Steinhart dial should be drop in...and you will get better lume in process. :) I have considered the same except that I like the cyclops and the date. The blue on this watch is unbelievable...amazing. I enjoy the cyclops aesthetic but of course respect those that prefer a cleaner look without the date.

Have fun.

#77 ·
I would agree with the above from my personal experience. If the lugs had beveled or chamfered edges and less sharp steep angles from the top down, I believe the perception of flatness and length would change. I look at my Omega seamaster case as an example where clever chamfering and rounding allow the case to wear smaller than overall dimensions. I wonder perhaps if the case shape with minimal edge machining on the steinheirts keeps their overall cost down and competitive. If all those ocean one cases had a couple more machining steps I imagine their bottom line would
Change.

I have said before the angular case makes Steinhart somewhat unique in this segment (mostly sub homages) and creates personality to the brand but I believe it comes at the cost of perceived size/comfort and keeping costs down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#78 · (Edited)
I would agree with the above from my personal experience. If the lugs had beveled or chamfered edges and less sharp steep angles from the top down, I believe the perception of flatness and length would change. I look at my Omega seamaster case as an example where clever chamfering and rounding allow the case to wear smaller than overall dimensions. I wonder perhaps if the case shape with minimal edge machining on the steinheirts keeps their overall cost down and competitive. If all those ocean one cases had a couple more machining steps I imagine their bottom line would
Change.

I have said before the angular case makes Steinhart somewhat unique in this segment (mostly sub homages) and creates personality to the brand but I believe it comes at the cost of perceived size/comfort and keeping costs down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The cost issue in terms of machining operations is questionable. I love the aesthetic of the Steinhart case...one of my favorite dive watches. I own the Phoibos which is the identical case and solid link bracelet. It is one of the most comfortable dive watches I own...whether on bracelet or rubber strap. I have a 6.75" wrist.
Angling the lugs down isn't necessarily more comfortable by any stretch of credulity.

#80 ·
Hooray! |>

#81 ·
Looking forward to see what they come out with. Their current 42mm Ocean One spawned many variations - bezel colours, dial colours, OVM, vintage, GMT, etc. I hope they do something similar with a 39mm case...and drilled lugs on these too please Steinhart?

#87 ·
I really didn't believe this, steinhart making smaller watches, especially after on Facebook they responded to say they weren't doing this. Then I got an email saying that they are, so it looks to be true......

.....very interested to see what versions they'll bring out and whether these will be shrunk versions of the ocean one or something different.

#88 ·
Yes. Can confirm what Calison (John) mentioned earlier. Email from Judith received earlier today. Please note I asked if the 39mm will be the Ocean divers series. She did not specify on her email below. So hoping it would be the dive watches.

"yes, we will come out with some 39mm models this summer.

Pls wait for the newsletter."

Thx

Viele GrĂĽĂźe,
Best regards,

Judith H. Kuchler
Steinhart Watches GmbH

Cheers,

Rick

#89 ·
Yes. Can confirm what Calison (John) mentioned earlier. Email from Judith received earlier today. Please note I asked if the 39mm will be the Ocean divers series. She did not specify on her email below. So hoping it would be the dive watches.

"yes, we will come out with some 39mm models this summer.

Pls wait for the newsletter."

Thx

Viele GrĂĽĂźe,
Best regards,

Judith H. Kuchler
Steinhart Watches GmbH

Cheers,

Rick
I got the same message......

#92 ·
I owned an Ocean One before I joined the forum and did things to make myself like it, I changed the hands, I changed the straps and bracelets but in the end sold it because it was overpowering on my wrist.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Font

Had that Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Font
watch been a 39mm watch I'd still have it. The timekeeping was freaky good and it was very well made. The bad news was that the flat lugs combined with the diameter made it look more like a 48mm bling watch on my wrist than could be mistaken for a real Sub.

#94 ·
Here is an email I got from them, nice they answered it personally:

Dear David,

we'll come out with some 39mm models this summer.

Pls wait for the newsletter.

Thx

Viele GrĂĽĂźe,
Best regards,

Judith H. Kuchler
Steinhart Watches GmbH

Phon: +49 (0) 821-5433800
Fax: +49 (0) 821-5433801
http:// www.steinhartwatches.de
Email: info@steinhartwatches.de

#100 ·
No one has mentioned a dress watch.

They don't have any unless you consider their Marine line passing as a dress watch. Just playing the devil's advocate here. But I, too, am hoping it's a diver.

We'll soon find out.

#99 ·
Anyone want to make a stab at the potential line up? Do we think it'll be a full line of watches or just maybe one or two to start off with? A straight up 39mm version of the ocean one black would seem the logical first out......
Assuming that they do actually come out with a 39mm watch in the first place my guess is...

A diver, maybe a 39mm Ocean One style watch. I reckon their divers are by far the most in demand of their watches, if you wander around the interweb like I do it's hard to miss reviews of Ocean One's and OVM's. These would most likely sell in the biggest (most profitable) numbers.

If not an Ocean One style watch then possibly a vintage big crown/no crown guards early Sub homage. This would again be in demand and would steal less sales from their current 42mm Ocean one style watches as there is less of a direct cross over in their aesthetics.

Initially my guess is there'll be limited models released, maybe 2 different coloured bezel insert options or something like that. Once sales are off the ground it's relatively easy to get extra models released in the future using the same case, just print different dials, hands, bezel inserts. An example of this would be their recent "Batman" release, it's created a bit of stir upon release but really all Steinhart had to do was take the Ocean One Titanium Premium and drop a GMT movement into the case (and make a movement ring to hold it maybe?), add a different bezel insert, change the colour of the print a fraction on the chapter ring. Using the same model, new 39mm watches could be drip fed out over a number of years of the product cycle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.