WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Steinhart to make 39mm watches from summer 2017

96K views 377 replies 123 participants last post by  Dec1968 
#1 ·
Apologies if I'm double posting and this topic has been covered already but I came across the below video on Youtube and the author states that he contacted Steinhart directly about the possibility of making smaller watches. He says they replied saying that "Ocean models with 39mm case are planned in the summer 2017". Hope this is true and not a wind up as I'm sure lots of people would like a smaller version of their watches.

#105 ·
Similar to what I just posted on a thread in the Steinhart forum, I would LOVE to see an OVM or Vintage Red in a 39 mm case size, curved lugs, and a black dial (as seen in the Mk. 1 versions of those models. The grey dial found in the Mk. 2 versions of those watches (especially the OVM) to emulate the ageing of the dial from UV rays just doesn't really do it for me; I much prefer black. If Steinhart releases either (or both!!!) of these models with these specifications it will be VERY hard to resist pulling the trigger.

While the Ocean 1 ceramic and Ocean GMT models offer astonishing value for money, I personally would most likely not buy one as they are homages to very well known watches. However, as the OVM is a homage to the no longer produced and ultra rare and expensive 5517 Milsub (only ~1000 of which were made) I would have absolutely no problem buying one. The lack of a cyclops and Mercedes hands means that only a true watch connoisseur would recognise an OVM as a Rolex homage. This is why the OVM is my favourite Steinhart. Yes, I like a date complication in a watch but the lack of one in the OVM gives the watch that super symmetrical, toolish yet dressy look that I love so much.

All that combined with the ETA 2824-2 Elabore, sapphire crystal and Swiss made quality for only approx. $400 make it a jaw dropping proposition indeed.

#115 ·
Yup, and also this new 40 mm vintage Sub from Tisell to tie me over.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Analog watch Metal

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Watch Wrist Fashion accessory Jewellery Hand

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

#116 ·
#120 ·
I just got the Steiny GMT Vintage at 42mm but would buy a 40mm in a heartbeat as well and some Pepsi please at 40mm

Reactions: Ginseng108
#123 ·
Just wanted to post some insight in the emails i sent to Steinhart, regarding a 39mm.

April 19th, i asked them about a 39mm and a release date. They replied:Currently, we are thinking, just thinking of a 39mm.

When asking about a possibly release, they replied: We are just thinking about it, no details yet.

June 8th, i asked them again regarding a release, this time they replied: Not yet sorry. Pls wait for the newsletter.

This time when asking about a possibly release, they replied: it WILL come out when we are ready with the 39mm.

July 16th, wrote them today asking if release is this summer, will update when i get a respons.

Hope you guys can use this infomation.

#134 ·
Maybe they already did [emoji6]

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hornet99
#128 ·
This is a great video discussing the Phoibos $99 diver that uses the same exact watch parts sourced from the same factory that Steinhart uses......and it easily explains to me why Steinhart doesn't simply mod their case because it isn't their case at all....they buy an existing case. For them to come out with a smaller Ocean One, they'll need to either source a case that isn't too obviously someone else cases or design and manufacture their own....

What do you all think?

#131 ·
I think it's safe to say none of the micros (if you can call Steinhart one) has their own case. They all buy from someone else. Even if they did own their cases, just look at the reps coming out from China. Should have no problem replicating one.

The strange thing is: when there are so much against the case, why does Phoibos choose to use the same? Could have used some other more "friendly" cases that other micros used.

#130 ·
I'm sorry, I just couldn't sit through the 10 minute video. Has it been definitively confirmed that the cases are in fact from the same manufacturer?
I doubt we'll ever get it confirmed but it looks exactly the same. If you go onto Alibaba or one of those similar sites and you're prepared to trawl through various watch case makers in China then you'll come across a good few cases that you'll recognise from microbrands.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the microbrand bought an off the shelf case though. Some of them do do this, some on the other hand design their own cases and then get them made in China. When the production runs are done I'm sure the factories that made them or the companies that subcontracted the machine work out just take the existing design and then offer it for sale.

This happened a couple of months ago when a new brand was announced by a poster here with hardly any posts - presumably they were linked to the company and joined to advertise their goods. I pasted some technical drawings into the thread from Borealis showing the exact same watch that had their name on it from a few years previously. The new company in question obviously just bought a catalog watch, got their logo laser engraved on the crown and brand on the dial and made the sales bumpf up like it was their innovative new design. The post vanished into thin air a short time later for whatever reason.

BTW - I don't have any problems with Chinese made cases, etc. They produce some really well made stuff as witnessed by many, many microbrands that are churning out really nice products.

#133 ·
Thanks, Narc'd. Makes sense and I'm fine with whatever sourcing as long as everything is represented above-board.

Their PY007A diver is a nice one. The Hulk-wannabe looks good. If they made a SD4K-style, I'd probably give them a swing.

#143 ·
When is this newsletter supposed to come out in which we will find out more about these 39mm Steinys?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.