STEINHART Ocean Vintage Military Size Question
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: STEINHART Ocean Vintage Military Size Question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member Aaron K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    219

    STEINHART Ocean Vintage Military Size Question

    I am considering purchasing a Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military but am concerned about the size on my 6.75 wrist. Specifically I am concerned about the lug-to-lug dimension. Does anyone with wrist around my size have one of these?


    Thanks,
    Aaron

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,156

    Re: STEINHART Ocean Vintage Military Size Question

    Hi Aaron,

    I've owned 2 of the 42mm Steinharts (O1 GMT and OVM) and I have a 6.5" wrist. I find that the lugs stick straight out from the case more than bending down so you'll probably get a better fit if your wrist is flatter (as opposed to rounder). That said, it all comes down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable wearing.

    Some random notes, as I think back to when I wore these:
    It has 22mm lugs and the bracelet only tapers down to 20 (or maybe it even stays at 22, I can't remember). Either way, it is wide and adds visual presence to the watch.
    I eventually traded them away and now have a 39mm Debaufre GMT inbound so I'll be able to comment on that one when it arrives.
    I've also have the Squale 20atm (40mm), some sort of O&W, and a Sandoz Singapore sub (40mm). While I really like the vintage milsub style of the OVM, I eventually found it slightly big for my personal taste and would grab one of the smaller ones instead.

    Here's a wrist shot of the GMT.


    For comparison sake, here's a side view of the Steinhart beside the Squale 20atm diver, which is 40mm:

  3. #3
    Member Aaron K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    219

    Re: STEINHART Ocean Vintage Military Size Question

    Thanks for the feedback. It looks fine on your wrist, I am going to keep my eye out for a used one. Worst case scenario I can always find a new home for it if it does not sit well on my wrist.

    Thanks,
    Aaron



    Quote Originally Posted by heebs View Post
    Hi Aaron,

    I've owned 2 of the 42mm Steinharts (O1 GMT and OVM) and I have a 6.5" wrist. I find that the lugs stick straight out from the case more than bending down so you'll probably get a better fit if your wrist is flatter (as opposed to rounder). That said, it all comes down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable wearing.

    Some random notes, as I think back to when I wore these:
    It has 22mm lugs and the bracelet only tapers down to 20 (or maybe it even stays at 22, I can't remember). Either way, it is wide and adds visual presence to the watch.
    I eventually traded them away and now have a 39mm Debaufre GMT inbound so I'll be able to comment on that one when it arrives.
    I've also have the Squale 20atm (40mm), some sort of O&W, and a Sandoz Singapore sub (40mm). While I really like the vintage milsub style of the OVM, I eventually found it slightly big for my personal taste and would grab one of the smaller ones instead.

    Here's a wrist shot of the GMT.


    For comparison sake, here's a side view of the Steinhart beside the Squale 20atm diver, which is 40mm:

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    57

    Re: STEINHART Ocean Vintage Military Size Question

    Quote Originally Posted by heebs View Post
    Hi Aaron,

    I've owned 2 of the 42mm Steinharts (O1 GMT and OVM) and I have a 6.5" wrist. I find that the lugs stick straight out from the case more than bending down so you'll probably get a better fit if your wrist is flatter (as opposed to rounder). That said, it all comes down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable wearing.

    Some random notes, as I think back to when I wore these:
    It has 22mm lugs and the bracelet only tapers down to 20 (or maybe it even stays at 22, I can't remember). Either way, it is wide and adds visual presence to the watch.
    I eventually traded them away and now have a 39mm Debaufre GMT inbound so I'll be able to comment on that one when it arrives.
    I've also have the Squale 20atm (40mm), some sort of O&W, and a Sandoz Singapore sub (40mm). While I really like the vintage milsub style of the OVM, I eventually found it slightly big for my personal taste and would grab one of the smaller ones instead.

    Here's a wrist shot of the GMT.


    For comparison sake, here's a side view of the Steinhart beside the Squale 20atm diver, which is 40mm:
    I've got the 39mm Debaufre GMT (Pepsi) and I find it to be exactly the right size for my 6.75" wrists. After wearing this, I feel my SKX007 might be a bit too large ($0.02).

  5. #5
    Member isfuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort lauderdale
    Posts
    295

    STEINHART Ocean Vintage Military Size Question

    Here's my wrist shot
    And it's the same as yours

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    980

    Re: STEINHART Ocean Vintage Military Size Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron K. View Post
    I am considering purchasing a Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military but am concerned about the size on my 6.75 wrist. Specifically I am concerned about the lug-to-lug dimension. Does anyone with wrist around my size have one of these?


    Thanks,
    Aaron
    Lug to lug is approx 50mm. The shape of your wrist will affect how it wears. I have a 7" wrist and it wears nicely. I actually wish the dial/case was a little bigger.

    Name:  027.JPG
Views: 3048
Size:  311.9 KB

  7. #7
    Member Aaron K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    219

    STEINHART Ocean Vintage Military Size Question

    Quote Originally Posted by isfuzz View Post
    Here's my wrist shot
    And it's the same as yours
    That looks great, think I am ready to add one into the rotation.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9

    Re: STEINHART Ocean Vintage Military Size Question

    Any other 6.5-6.75" wrists wearing this baby? I'm not convinced that it will fit me still at that size

  9. #9
    Member spazthecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    235

    Re: STEINHART Ocean Vintage Military Size Question

    Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulWarrior View Post
    Any other 6.5-6.75" wrists wearing this baby? I'm not convinced that it will fit me still at that size
    I have 6.5 inch wrists and have an Ocean Black DLC. It's OK but it's as large as I would go.

    Name:  714910d1337634058-sell-keep-big-ones-steinhart.jpg
Views: 2609
Size:  86.0 KB
    PeacefulWarrior likes this.

  10. #10
    Member AlphaWolf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,967

    Re: STEINHART Ocean Vintage Military Size Question

    On my 7in wrist. It's not really that big, certainly not as big as most people think. Steinhart makes the smallest 42mm I have ever owned or seen. The case is as conservatively thin as can be, and the lug-2-lug is only 50mm~ It's basically just like a slightly upscaled 40mm case.


    PeacefulWarrior likes this.
    My Collection
    Mk II Nassau Ref. 1001 #57 Red Triangle; Steinhart Ocean 1 Vintage GMT; Débaufré Ocean 1 GMT 39mm/Mk II MilSub Mod; Seiko 5 SNXJ89; Wenger Battalion III, Invicta 8926OB NH35A


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2