WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Sumo or Sailfish?

5K views 62 replies 20 participants last post by  Scott6739 
#1 ·
Okay, I'm in the market for my next purchase in the $500 range. I've narrowed it down to the Seiko Sumo and the Prometheus Sailfish. They are very different in style, and comparing them is probably about like comparing Hank Williams to Frank Sinatra. I like them both, but for different reasons. I just need some guidance on what would be the better investment in the long run. I've read the "pros and cons" of the Sumo, but I haven't found that much on the Sailfish. Maybe beacuse it is a newer watch? Also, I don't know much about Prometheus either. If anyone out there has owned both, I would appreciate your input. Additionally, if you've owned one OR the other, your input is welcomed also. Thanks in advance for reading and I am looking forward to any advice you guys can offer.

Scott

#45 ·
For a dress diver, I think the Sailfish is a really spiffy watch. I've had nine now for awhile, and really enjoy wearing it. The bracelet is a tad too large feeling, probably due to the larger clasp. However, I whole-heartedly recommend it as a very neat looking watch. I LOVE that sapphire bezel and find myself subconsciously fondling it's rim while I am on the phone or in meetings.

I think if you want an everyday excellent watch, that you can wear everywhere, and customize to your liking, then go get the Sumo. If you already have everyday watches, and are looking specifically for something dressier or different, then the Sailfish is a great choice.

Good luck!

Reactions: Scott6739
#46 ·
For a dress diver, I think the Sailfish is a really spiffy watch. I've had nine now for awhile, and really enjoy wearing it. The bracelet is a tad too large feeling, probably due to the larger clasp. However, I whole-heartedly recommend it as a very neat looking watch. I LOVE that sapphire bezel and find myself subconsciously fondling it's rim while I am on the phone or in meetings.

I think if you want an everyday excellent watch, that you can wear everywhere, and customize to your liking, then go get the Sumo. If you already have everyday watches, and are looking specifically for something dressier or different, then the Sailfish is a great choice.

Good luck!
Thank you for your input.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

#47 · (Edited)
Scott, thanks for posting the pics above. While you were busying doing that, I went to the Prometheus site, and discovered that the Sailfish appears to be an excellent Blancpain 50 Fathoms homage. Sailfish has sapphire domed bezel, and sapphire crystal. Yes, boys and girls a dome sapphire bezel. That and the sapphire crystal put the Sailfish in a different category than Sumo. Sailfish seems to have incredible lume, and the case back is quite beautiful too.

IMO it comes down to this -- if you are a dedicate SEIKO admirer, then SUMO is your watch. If you prefer doing business with micro-brew w/ an outstanding homage to the iconic 50 Fathoms, then the choice is clearly the Sailfish. IMO the sapphire domed bezel + sapphire crystal makes the sailfish the clear choice.

#55 ·
one thing that really turns me off the sailfish is its high caseback.
not sure if we can link reviews from other forums here, but this guy shows it well.

the sumo on the other hand, just hugs the wrist nicely.
This pic also clearly shows the issue with the bracelet/endlinks. To me it is a serious design error that should not have gotten through to production. If someone had an 8.5" wrist it would probably spread the bracelet far enough at those points to hide the problem, otherwise it would have to go on an aftermarket bracelet or strap.

#56 ·
Thanks for pointing out the case back issue. I have a 7.25" wrist, and the height along with the lug length would definitely fit awkwardly. I almost had a momentary lapse of reason last night and started leaning toward the Sailfish, but that picture above has convinced me to go with the Sumo. Thanks again guys.

Scott

#57 ·
Thanks for pointing out the case back issue. I have a 7.25" wrist, and the height along with the lug length would definitely fit awkwardly. I almost had a momentary lapse of reason last night and started leaning toward the Sailfish, but that picture above has convinced me to go with the Sumo. Thanks again guys.

Scott

Scott -

No-one can tell you what you should or shouldn't buy, just point out what are perceived to be pros and cons to both. At the end of the day I would evaluate which watch is likely to stand the test of time (no pun intended), be versatile, comfortable, perhaps hold value (and resale interest) should you have a change of heart, and have enough classic diver cues to still be relevant at any given point in the future. I can tell you that I came within a whisker of ordering the Sailfish a couple of months ago because of the Blancpain styling cues, but held off. I then debated the Sumo very hard (and bought a Shogun, which is outstanding), and am now actually considering getting a blue or orange dial Sumo. I always seem to come back to the Seiko and it is likely just a matter of time before I just pull the trigger on one. That case is just so difficult to ignore. Good luck with your final decision.

#58 ·
You are absolutely correct. I have wanted a Sumo for some time and should have bought it months ago. Then, I saw the Sailfish and liked the overall looks of it. I didn't know much about it and wanted advice from those of you that have or had experience with it. And since I never owned a Sumo, but planned on buying one, I wanted an opinion from you guys to either stick with the Sumo or go with the Sailfish. Thanks again guys. I value all your opinions and appreciate your input.

Scott

#63 ·
Hey Chet!

Two watches on my radar this year........ So far. The Sumo in the short term and the AD100 later in the year. Maybe an Orange Monster this summer to hold me over between my two that I'm eyeing. BTW, I meant "Blumo"!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.