titanium coated stainless steel ...

Thread: titanium coated stainless steel ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

titanium coated stainless steel ...

there's always a lot of discussion about titanium versus stainless steel, and i know where i stand on that. however, i'm a bit curious to see what others think about titanium coated stainless steel. i've always felt that coating are bad news really but it could be an interesting subject.

Re: titanium coated stainless steel ...

I'm not sure what you mean? And I'm not sure what the benefit would be? Ti is light and strong and that's why some manufacturers choose to use it for watch cases. It's no less scratch resitant than SS. In fact it's a bit softer and actually more prone to scratches. If there is such a thing as a Ti coating (and I'm not sure there is) I don't see what the benefit would be other than esthetics.
    Best regards,

Dan

"I was up above it. Now I'm down in it." ...Trent Reznor

I wonder perhaps if you could be refering to Titanium Nitride coatings? These are applied via PVD or CVD and go on stainless steel just fine. It is and would be very hard. THis is what they do to the drill bits that are labeled Titanium! and such. You could in theory PVD and perhaps CVD pure titanium but I don't recall ever running across that outside of a lab.
    Paul in Portland, Or
    Seiko 200M Professional 7C43

Inactive

I'm an SS man all the way, not just because I like to actually feel the watch on my wrist, rather than having some dainty little flower petal perched atop it, but also because it looks a million times better (exaggerated? maybe). Titanium is, simply put, lackluster - visually. To me it's at the opposite end of the spectrum from yellow gold, one is ugly because it's unnoticable at best, and the other is ugly because it's appallingly gaudy. Now if I were some goombah-Guido with my chest hair sticking out the top of my half unbuttoned bowling shirt, then maybe I'd consider the both of them. Thankfully, though, I'm of sound mind and style (debatable for sure). So for me, coated or not, Ti belongs on engine parts and golf clubs - I shot Par for the first time last weekend by-the-way, got my fourth ever eagle that day too, and yes, I'm still talking about it! ;D LOL!

I don't know about you but this Ti doesn't look too gaudy to me.

Last edited by Piezo.Quartz; August 15th, 2008 at 20:46.

Ti coating? Think you have some facts confused I like SS, but Ti is light and stronger, but scratches easier.. solution, bead blased Ti with DLC coating is the best... harder then saphire, super strong and light. Too bad the new B&R watch using this is $58K
    Bell & Ross BR02 Carbon - Bell & Ross BR01 Power Reserve - Tag Heuer "McQueen" Monaco

2009 wish list - Rolex DSSD

Titanium is used over steel for its strength and lightness - and thats why its used. There would be little point in coating a steel watch with Ti I guess But if youre thinking about scratch resistance for a SS case, we have IPK, DLC coatings........
    "Wear your learning like your watch, in a private pocket; and do not pull it out and strike it merely to show you have one"

Lord Chesterfield

Inactive

Yellow gold was the gaudy reference. Titanium was the lackluster reference. For some reason, not in every case but typcially, Titanium never quite seems to obtain the brilliant polish that steel appears to reflect of. I've owned and handled a several watches with both steel and Ti in their bracelet/case, and you can always tell the difference - well, I can. Perhaps it's just the way the manufacturers finish them, either way, I'm soured on it (if you can't tell). ;D

Oops. I meant lackluster too.

You may change your mind with Seiko Brightz. Ain't no kidding when they say it's bright!

Quote Originally Posted by no_self_control View Post
    there's always a lot of discussion about titanium versus stainless steel, and i know where i stand on that. however, i'm a bit curious to see what others think about titanium coated stainless steel. i've always felt that coating are bad news really but it could be an interesting subject.
    OK, some clarification needed here!

there are some watches that have cases made of stainless steel but with a titanium coating. i don't recall them being titanium nitride but nor can i be certain that they aren't. the rationale may or may not be economic. titanium look at stainless steel price but again, i can't be certain.

now, as to titanium looking dull, well this depends on how it oxidises. it's the oxide that's dull. some titanium looks as bright as steel, especially if highly polished. equally, sand blasted stainless steel looks like titanium because it's got a dull finish. but this is a bit besides the point.

so, hopefully that clears up any mis-understandings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information