The Ultimate Dive Watch Used While Diving Photo Thread - Page 8
Like Tree1271Likes

Thread: The Ultimate Dive Watch Used While Diving Photo Thread

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Re: The Ultimate Dive Watch Used While Diving Photo Thread

Quote Originally Posted by lexvil View Post
    Chris, Catalina usually has much warmer water than Monterey but not always, here are a few shots of the giant black bass that I have
    Attachment 1592679
    Attachment 1592681
    So awesome, that's what we were looking for, but it didn't happen.
    I get to enjoy them vicariously :)
    Best,
    Chris
    A Møøse once bit my sister...
    Artego Caribbean, Casio(way too many), Dagaz(Zero I),
    Gruppo Gamma MK III Vanguard, Omega(2254.50 SMP)
    Seiko(1G Monster, Sushi Roll Feb '69, custom 6309)
    Follow my G-Shock on its' world tour​.... Hidden Content
    Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

Banned

They are very cool to dive with, when they come out, docile and curious they just appear, cruise around and around divers and just vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by onrypt View Post
    So awesome, that's what we were looking for, but it didn't happen.
    I get to enjoy them vicariously :)
    Best,
    Chris

All my watches are used for diving. Who buys a diving watch and doesn't dive with it????

Quote Originally Posted by ivan_seawolf View Post
    Forgot about this one...
    Oris DG

Oris is by far one of the best watches for the money you can buy. They are made and feel like a watch that is at twice as much if not 3x as much.
    Rob Roberts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trekDS View Post
    Its riskier driving to a dive site than it is diving.
    Not to shore up an argument, as I love diving and think it's very safe when people are trained properly, but the statistics in which cars are MORE dangerous are, as far as I've seen so far, fatality statistics based entirely on how many people (what percentage) died. My major required years of statistics, so this stuff always eats at me, and unfortunately you have to bear the brunt of it!

Deaths During Skin and Scuba Diving in California in 1970
    [abstract] IS RECREATIONAL DIVING SAFE?

The issue with the statistics describing driving vs diving is that while many, many drivers die each year, many drivers (myself included) spend over a week (if not multiple weeks) in the car per year (for example, an hour a day average is almost 16 days in a car over the course of a year). When you change the calculation to hours invested vs risk of death (or injury), diving is 39-62 (95% confidence) or 96 times more dangerous per hour (depending on the study) than driving at a reasonable, street average speed. I'm sure inclusion of tech diving, cave diving, etc. and highway driving, public transit, driving in areas with high drunk driving rates, etc. would complicate things further, but it is reasonable to assume that the general consensus is that rec diving is not anywhere near as safe as driving per hour.

Now, on topic, still waiting for photos of me diving my Armida A7 but here is me pool diving my Deep Blue Depthmeter Professional (which helpfully shows I am a whopping 2m underwater)!

Name:  IMAG0206.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  230.2 KB
    Last edited by fatalelement; August 12th, 2014 at 03:24.
    AndrewFromTexas likes this.
    1979 Omega Speedmaster Professional, Boschett Harpoon 1000M, Deep Blue Depthmeter Professional, Seiko SKX007, Seiko SKA427, Seiko SNN241, Deep Blue ProTac 1000M, Armida A7 Brass, Orient Curator, Orient Star Seeker GMT, Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT, Deep Blue Alpha Marine 500, 1972 Omega De Ville Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by ivan_seawolf View Post
    For someone who has such an incredible collection of watches, I feel entirely justified in judging you for ignoring the lug width on your Panerai! ;)

Beautiful collection.
    1979 Omega Speedmaster Professional, Boschett Harpoon 1000M, Deep Blue Depthmeter Professional, Seiko SKX007, Seiko SKA427, Seiko SNN241, Deep Blue ProTac 1000M, Armida A7 Brass, Orient Curator, Orient Star Seeker GMT, Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT, Deep Blue Alpha Marine 500, 1972 Omega De Ville Automatic

He he! Good point! However, I do not have all these watches. I flip them all the time. Right now I have Panerai Submersible, Submariner 114060, Eterna 1973 (incoming) Seiko Darth Tuna. These are my dive watches.
    Morethan1 and fatalelement like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
    Not to shore up an argument, as I love diving and think it's very safe when people are trained properly, but the statistics in which cars are MORE dangerous are, as far as I've seen so far, fatality statistics based entirely on how many people (what percentage) died. My major required years of statistics, so this stuff always eats at me, and unfortunately you have to bear the brunt of it!

Deaths During Skin and Scuba Diving in California in 1970
    [abstract] IS RECREATIONAL DIVING SAFE?

The issue with the statistics describing driving vs diving is that while many, many drivers die each year, many drivers (myself included) spend over a week (if not multiple weeks) in the car per year (for example, an hour a day average is almost 16 days in a car over the course of a year). When you change the calculation to hours invested vs risk of death (or injury), diving is 39-62 (95% confidence) or 96 times more dangerous per hour (depending on the study) than driving at a reasonable, street average speed. I'm sure inclusion of tech diving, cave diving, etc. and highway driving, public transit, driving in areas with high drunk driving rates, etc. would complicate things further, but it is reasonable to assume that the general consensus is that rec diving is not anywhere near as safe as driving per hour.

Now, on topic, still waiting for photos of me diving my Armida A7 but here is me pool diving my Deep Blue Depthmeter Professional (which helpfully shows I am a whopping 2m underwater)!
    It would be interesting to get the diving instructors to say whether they have had more diving accidents or car accidents...given that they likely spend more time in the water than they do in their cars per week.

I'd suggest that those who dive very infrequently have the most diving mishaps per hour...skewing your stats substantially.
    Last edited by trekDS; August 12th, 2014 at 16:37.

Quote Originally Posted by trekDS View Post
    It would be interesting to get the diving instructors to say whether they have had more diving accidents or car accidents...given that they likely spend more time in the water than they do in their cars per week.

I'd suggest that those who dive very infrequently have the most diving mishaps per hour...skewing your stats substantially.
    I was diving Sunday with 2 newbs, one from our shop with about 18 dives (diver A)and one who just got certified in Myrtle Beach and only had his 5 cert dives under his belt (diver B). We were just swimming a lap of the quarry and I told diver A to take the lead and keep us at about 20 ft, just at the first thermocline. I had diver B in the middle and I was the sheep dog in the back. Diver A kept swimming away without looking back to see where we were. Diver B drove me nuts...I could see him dip down a few feet and then reach for his LP inflator to get back to 20 ft. Sure enough, he would overshoot and end up shallow and dump air to get back down. When we finished I chastised A for not paying any attention to where his buddies were, and I told B about simply swimming up and down to adjust depth without touching his inflator. His class apparently did not cover that, nor did they teach him dive tables-just handed him a computer. The second dive I took B down to the "playground" and had him swimming up and down without his inflator and just "being still" in the water. With this level of instruction at the OW level, I am surprised that there are as few fatalities as there are.
    AndrewFromTexas likes this.
    Your worst day stuck on the surface wishing you could get underwater is better than your best day stuck underwater wishing you could get on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcutter View Post
    I was diving Sunday with 2 newbs, one from our shop with about 18 dives (diver A)and one who just got certified in Myrtle Beach and only had his 5 cert dives under his belt (diver B). We were just swimming a lap of the quarry and I told diver A to take the lead and keep us at about 20 ft, just at the first thermocline. I had diver B in the middle and I was the sheep dog in the back. Diver A kept swimming away without looking back to see where we were. Diver B drove me nuts...I could see him dip down a few feet and then reach for his LP inflator to get back to 20 ft. Sure enough, he would overshoot and end up shallow and dump air to get back down. When we finished I chastised A for not paying any attention to where his buddies were, and I told B about simply swimming up and down to adjust depth without touching his inflator. His class apparently did not cover that, nor did they teach him dive tables-just handed him a computer. The second dive I took B down to the "playground" and had him swimming up and down without his inflator and just "being still" in the water. With this level of instruction at the OW level, I am surprised that there are as few fatalities as there are.
    I agree that I don't think dive masters, while they certainly incur the most hours, are the most vulnerable. I would guess that the basic open water people, new and potentially inexperienced tech divers, and just in general people out of their depth probably constitute a large proportion of scuba accidents.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information