The Ultimate Dive Watch Used While Diving Photo Thread - Page 9
Like Tree1162Likes

Thread: The Ultimate Dive Watch Used While Diving Photo Thread

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: The Ultimate Dive Watch Used While Diving Photo Thread

Sort of shoots your stats argument in the foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
    I agree that I don't think dive masters, while they certainly incur the most hours, are the most vulnerable. I would guess that the basic open water people, new and potentially inexperienced tech divers, and just in general people out of their depth probably constitute a large proportion of scuba accidents.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Banned

Remember Dave, these are extra cost "specialties"
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcutter View Post
    I was diving Sunday with 2 newbs, one from our shop with about 18 dives (diver A)and one who just got certified in Myrtle Beach and only had his 5 cert dives under his belt (diver B). We were just swimming a lap of the quarry and I told diver A to take the lead and keep us at about 20 ft, just at the first thermocline. I had diver B in the middle and I was the sheep dog in the back. Diver A kept swimming away without looking back to see where we were. Diver B drove me nuts...I could see him dip down a few feet and then reach for his LP inflator to get back to 20 ft. Sure enough, he would overshoot and end up shallow and dump air to get back down. When we finished I chastised A for not paying any attention to where his buddies were, and I told B about simply swimming up and down to adjust depth without touching his inflator. His class apparently did not cover that, nor did they teach him dive tables-just handed him a computer. The second dive I took B down to the "playground" and had him swimming up and down without his inflator and just "being still" in the water. With this level of instruction at the OW level, I am surprised that there are as few fatalities as there are.

Quote Originally Posted by lexvil View Post
    Sort of shoots your stats argument in the foot.
    Not at all. Risk per hour has little to do with a person's individual total incurred hours. Mistakes by trained, highly experienced professionals are less common than mistakes by untrained novices, especially per hour of activity. The risk of experienced, safe drivers per hour is likely to be far less than that of teenagers in their first driving lesson.

My original statistics addressed only population-total risk per hour. A professional dive master accumulates many personal hours, but they create through their training a multiple of dive hours for the people they train. If they take a class of 10 new divers every day, for every hour they dive safely, 10 net hours of less safe diving occurs. Additionally, all of these people go on to dive and I doubt a majority of them become professional divers. I would be beyond shocked to learn that the number of Dive Masters in PADI is greater than the cumulative lesser ranks. I don't know any diving instructors who have had DCS, but they all have plenty of stories of idiots doing dumb things and, in some cases, having to give DAN a call. The risk-per-hour is, by my educated guess, probably very heavily skewed by newer divers and those with insufficient training.
    Last edited by fatalelement; August 12th, 2014 at 21:56.
    AndrewFromTexas likes this.
    1979 Omega Speedmaster Professional, Boschett Harpoon 1000M, Deep Blue Depthmeter Professional, Seiko SKX007, Seiko SKA427, Seiko SNN241, Deep Blue ProTac 1000M, Armida A7 Brass, Orient Curator, Orient Star Seeker GMT, Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT, Deep Blue Alpha Marine 500, 1972 Omega De Ville Automatic

I only have a couple of decent shots. The Sub-C was at Point of Rocks here. The PO was ... well, like it says.

Name:  Rolex Sub-C on dive.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  535.9 KBName:  Omega Planet Ocean Deep3.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  731.4 KB
    Explorer 214270 • Datejust 16233 • Ω Aqua Terra 231.10.39.21.02.001
    Opiniones sunt foramina intestinorum … omnis persona habet illud.Harry Callahan the Elder (200 BCE)

The Ultimate Dive Watch Used While Diving Photo Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dmcutter View Post
    I was diving Sunday with 2 newbs, one from our shop with about 18 dives (diver A)and one who just got certified in Myrtle Beach and only had his 5 cert dives under his belt (diver B). We were just swimming a lap of the quarry and I told diver A to take the lead and keep us at about 20 ft, just at the first thermocline. I had diver B in the middle and I was the sheep dog in the back. Diver A kept swimming away without looking back to see where we were. Diver B drove me nuts...I could see him dip down a few feet and then reach for his LP inflator to get back to 20 ft. Sure enough, he would overshoot and end up shallow and dump air to get back down. When we finished I chastised A for not paying any attention to where his buddies were, and I told B about simply swimming up and down to adjust depth without touching his inflator. His class apparently did not cover that, nor did they teach him dive tables-just handed him a computer. The second dive I took B down to the "playground" and had him swimming up and down without his inflator and just "being still" in the water. With this level of instruction at the OW level, I am surprised that there are as few fatalities as there are.
    Agree but I think the individuals are to blame as well.
    When I got certified I made sure I was actually able to perform the tasks I was supposed to, and when my wife got hers, I repeated various trainings with her, till the time she was extremely comfortable with everything.
    A lazy instructor is inexcusable and I believe the open water certification process is really lacking, but in the end it's your life, if PADI doesn't care about it you should.

Too many people approach diving I a way too bold way.
    I see people that can barely control their buoyancy do stuff I would never dare to do, and it always leaves me flabbergasted how little people care about their personal safety.

As they say, there are many old divers and many bold divers, but very few old bold divers.

Accidents are unavoidable (ie this weekend in Italy three divers were killed, probably because of contaminated air in the tanks, something I would not know how to control since I always rent the tanks from the different dive operations), but the risk can be greatly minimized by diving safe and well within your certification and (especially) experience limits.
    Last edited by Seppia; August 13th, 2014 at 00:17.

Afternoon

Night

Yesterday

Snorkelling yesterday

mvanosdol, XOR, jricher82 and 3 others like this.

Ivan, as much as I envy your watch collection, what I truly envy is the amount of time you seem to spend diving.
    igureta and Seppia like this.
    Your worst day stuck on the surface wishing you could get underwater is better than your best day stuck underwater wishing you could get on the surface.

Completely agree!

This thread is awesome!

Diving and snorkeling in the Bahamas, 2013:

Name:  P1040017.JPG
Views: 933
Size:  120.6 KB

Name:  P1040033.JPG
Views: 927
Size:  118.5 KB

Name:  P1040042.JPG
Views: 923
Size:  203.9 KB

Name:  P1040047.JPG
Views: 918
Size:  108.0 KB

Name:  P1040104.JPG
Views: 908
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  P1040136_lzn.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  142.9 KB

Name:  P1040137.JPG
Views: 909
Size:  104.9 KB

Name:  P1040151.JPG
Views: 914
Size:  115.7 KB
    DuDro, jricher82, Giggo and 4 others like this.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information