Thread: UTS vs Sinn vs others

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: UTS vs Sinn vs others

I don't have both watches (only a UTS), but here's what i found when I compared them side by side while at a dealer while on business in Vienna last year:

1. First, I am not sure of the exact measurements but the U1 had definitely a slimmer and sleeker lines to my eye than the UTS. The UTS is much more blocky.
    2. To my eye, the U1 looks really good on the black rubber strap but loses something on the bracelet.
    3. The U1 looks like every inch the tool watch. The UTS has more of an 'industrial design' look. In the sense, I could see the watch having been made by someone who has designing experience in one area and has decided to apply this to watches (which actually is the situation).
    4. The case of the U1 is really beautiful. Matte, beautifully crafted, and somehow feels different to the touch than the regular 316L steel. It's the killer app for that watch
    5. Part of the pleasure of owning a UTS is that you look at the watch and think this is really the work of one guy. It doesn't necessarily mean the watch is better than one that is produced by 10 guys (Sinn) or a 100 guys (Rolex) but it does lend a certain 'je ne sais quoi' to it that either you appreciate or are indifferent to. if it matters to you a lot, you will cherish a UTS beyond its actual physical attributes.
    8. As I said, I find the killer "app" for the U1 was the fantastic case. The crystal, dial, bezel action etc seemed more standard though still of high quality. The UTS seems like every component the bezel, case, crown, case back, bracelet is built with equal care and consideration. I would not say anything stands out singularly as in the U1's case.
    Now: Rolex Explorer II ref. 1655, ca. 1971, Rolex Milgauss (black) ca. 2008, IWC GST Aquatimer (titanium) ref. 3536, ca. 1999, Omega dress watch (601 movement, 1960s, bought in 1966)
    Gone baby gone: Rolex Submariner ref. 5512, Rolex Submariner ref. 5513, Rolex GMT Master, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Air King (1st 'nice' watch), Hamilton Tank (10K vintage), IWC Mark XII ca. 1998,
    IWC Compass Watch ca. 1980 ref. 3510, JLC Memovox (ca. 1965), Omega Moonwatch (30th anniversary), Omega Seamaster (552 movement, 1960s), Omega Seamaster Multifunction, Seiko Marinemaster 300m ref SBDX001 (2007), UTS 500m (platinum dial)

I've owned 2 U1s. I can say they are AMAZING watches. Sometimes the lume isn't as strong as some would like, but I get a lot of amazed reactions from the double AR crystal.

I will probably own one again. It's a flipper's life. :)

Quote Originally Posted by akit110 View Post
    Part of the pleasure of owning a UTS is that you look at the watch and think this is really the work of one guy. It doesn't necessarily mean the watch is better than one that is produced by 10 guys (Sinn) or a 100 guys (Rolex) but it does lend a certain 'je ne sais quoi' to it that either you appreciate or are indifferent to. if it matters to you a lot, you will cherish a UTS beyond its actual physical attributes.
    Damn, I really couldn't have said it better myself. For me, UTS will always be more than the sum of its parts (though if measured in that fashion, they're still an impressive watches ).

And while I've never had an overwhelming urge to own a U-series (except for maybe the U1000, and U1 Black/White LEs), each time I've handled one I've been impressed with their quality and engineering.

Both UTS and Sinn impress me as terrific values, though perhaps for different reasons. Either way, it's sort of difficult to defend one as significantly better than the other, IMO.

Regards,
    Adam
    Last edited by craniotes; April 27th, 2010 at 00:10.
    Contemporary: AP Forged Carbon Diver, AP Royal Oak ref. 15202, Blancpain Fifty-Fathoms Bathyscaphe Ti, IWC Ingenieur ref. 3227-01, IWC Top Gun Big Pilot Perpetual Calendar, JLC Navy SEALs Diving Alarm Incursion, JLC Tribute to 1931 Reverso US Edition, Panerai 372, Rolex DSSD, Rolex Submariner 16800 matte-dial, Seiko SSC021, Sinn 142S
    Vintage: Doxa, Omega Seamaster DeVille, Tudor Submariner 9401/0 "Blue Snowflake", Benrus/Bulova/Elgin
    G-Shock: DW-5530C "Resist Black", DW-5600BB-1ER, DW-5700BE "BEAMS 20th Anniversary", DW-6900MT-7ER "Be@rbrick", DW-6900CL-4CR "Clot", DW-6900KR-8JR "Krink",
    DW-6900FS "Ultraseven 45th Anniversary", DW-6901UD-3ER "Undefeated", 9100BJ-2A "Riseman", GA-110DR-1A "Dee and Ricky", GA-111DR-7A "Dee and Ricky", GA-120BB "Tyko Moon", GD-X6900MNM "Eminem", GD-X6900MH "Maharishi", GDF-100BB, GLX-150-4DR, GT-000, GW-5000-1JF, GW-9400-1ER & 3ER, GW-9430EJ-9JR "Lightning Yellow", GWM-5600TH-1 "The Hundreds", GXW-56-3JF, GXW-56-4JF

Well I'm pretty sure that Sinn owns the company (SUG) that makes their cases, so would that not be considered "in-house".

Both are awesome brands, and while I am a total Sinn fanboy, UTS by all accounts is solid, and they do make virtually all of their own components.
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

Quote Originally Posted by scm64 View Post
    Well I'm pretty sure that Sinn owns the company (SUG) that makes their cases, so would that not be considered "in-house".
    Yup, Sinn bought SUG a while back, so their cases qualify as in-house as well. But really, what I think sets Sinn apart from the pack is their focus on stretching the limits of technology in mechanical timepieces. Copper-sulfate capsules, argon gas-filled cases, low-temperature tolerant oil, incompressible silicon-filled divers, the Diapal escapement, and of course, tegimented submarine steel; where else are you going to find all of this?

Regards,
    Adam
    Contemporary: AP Forged Carbon Diver, AP Royal Oak ref. 15202, Blancpain Fifty-Fathoms Bathyscaphe Ti, IWC Ingenieur ref. 3227-01, IWC Top Gun Big Pilot Perpetual Calendar, JLC Navy SEALs Diving Alarm Incursion, JLC Tribute to 1931 Reverso US Edition, Panerai 372, Rolex DSSD, Rolex Submariner 16800 matte-dial, Seiko SSC021, Sinn 142S
    Vintage: Doxa, Omega Seamaster DeVille, Tudor Submariner 9401/0 "Blue Snowflake", Benrus/Bulova/Elgin
    G-Shock: DW-5530C "Resist Black", DW-5600BB-1ER, DW-5700BE "BEAMS 20th Anniversary", DW-6900MT-7ER "Be@rbrick", DW-6900CL-4CR "Clot", DW-6900KR-8JR "Krink",
    DW-6900FS "Ultraseven 45th Anniversary", DW-6901UD-3ER "Undefeated", 9100BJ-2A "Riseman", GA-110DR-1A "Dee and Ricky", GA-111DR-7A "Dee and Ricky", GA-120BB "Tyko Moon", GD-X6900MNM "Eminem", GD-X6900MH "Maharishi", GDF-100BB, GLX-150-4DR, GT-000, GW-5000-1JF, GW-9400-1ER & 3ER, GW-9430EJ-9JR "Lightning Yellow", GWM-5600TH-1 "The Hundreds", GXW-56-3JF, GXW-56-4JF

Difference being that SUG like Fricker builds cases for other brands. And at a much larger scale production. I know of no other small manufacturer that makes their own case on such a small level. Especially at this price point. It does not economically make sense to do so. Yet UTS does not make cases for anyone. The same one guy who builds the case also puts it together. That is unheard of. There are other in house watch cases like ickler who make the limes brand. But again this is a larger scale as well different manufacturing methods.

Quote Originally Posted by scm64 View Post
    Well I'm pretty sure that Sinn owns the company

(SUG) that makes their cases, so would that not be considered "in-house".

Both are awesome brands, and while I am a total Sinn fanboy, UTS by all accounts is solid, and they do make virtually all of their own components.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashfreeze View Post
    Difference being that SUG like Fricker builds cases for other brands. And at a much larger scale production. I know of no other small manufacturer that makes their own case on such a small level. Especially at this price point. It does not economically make sense to do so. Yet UTS does not make cases for anyone. The same one guy who builds the case also puts it together. That is unheard of. There are other in house watch cases like ickler who make the limes brand. But again this is a larger scale as well different manufacturing methods.
    Don't disagree at all. No Question UTS is much more of a smaller shop operation, and Sinn is a much bigger company, while still modest in the grand scale of things.
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

I've owned threee UTS watches, (1 PVD 3000m, 1 stainless 3000m and currently the Divers Chrono), and I now own two Sinn's, the 757 and a U2 SDR EZM 5. All extraordinarily well made watches and I would not say one is better/worse; perhaps UTS is more form driven and Sinn function driven but even that boundary is blurred given all their extraordinary features.

I flipped both the 3000m, (dials were/are too small for me), and though I have posted the 757 for sale, if not sold it will be withdrawn by the w/e. I don't believe I will flip the UTS or the U2, their designs both resonate deeply with me and each has a separate and distinct place in my watch wearing life.

I do know this, I am very happy to be able to afford and own them and my appreciation for them continues to grow, it is an internal experience that is difficult to articulate.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by rlewisk; April 29th, 2010 at 05:35.

I love that blue accent dial on the UTS chrono.

Quote Originally Posted by rlewisk View Post
    I've owned threee UTS watches, (1 PVD 3000m, 1

stainless 3000m and currently the Divers Chrono), and I now own two Sinn's, the 757 and a U2 SDR EZM 5. All extraordinarily well made watches and I would not say one is better/worse; perhaps UTS is more form driven and Sinn function driven but even that boundary is blurred given all their extraordinary features.

I flipped both the 3000m, (dials were/are too small for me), and though I have posted the 757 for sale, if not sold it will be withdrawn by the w/e. I don't believe I will flip the UTS or the U2, their designs both resonate deeply with me and each has a separate and distinct place in my watch wearing life.

I do know this, I am very happy to be able to afford and own them and my appreciation for them continues to grow, it is an internal experience that is difficult to articulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashfreeze View Post
    I think it's an anomaly related to the Spinner's family involvement in CNC machinery as their primary business. That's a competitive advantage that someone starting up a boutique watch company would not normally have. To have access to all that equipment and knowledge would mean likely much higher prices for in-house cases if they had similarly small production numbers like UTS. A similar situation exists I think with Damasko with their primary business interests being metallurgy for industrial purposes. And similarly, their watches are also a great value in a watch whose appeal is not marketing driven perception.
    Now: Rolex Explorer II ref. 1655, ca. 1971, Rolex Milgauss (black) ca. 2008, IWC GST Aquatimer (titanium) ref. 3536, ca. 1999, Omega dress watch (601 movement, 1960s, bought in 1966)
    Gone baby gone: Rolex Submariner ref. 5512, Rolex Submariner ref. 5513, Rolex GMT Master, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Air King (1st 'nice' watch), Hamilton Tank (10K vintage), IWC Mark XII ca. 1998,
    IWC Compass Watch ca. 1980 ref. 3510, JLC Memovox (ca. 1965), Omega Moonwatch (30th anniversary), Omega Seamaster (552 movement, 1960s), Omega Seamaster Multifunction, Seiko Marinemaster 300m ref SBDX001 (2007), UTS 500m (platinum dial)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information